Author Topic: Clutch Squeak when starting on a hill or hard acceleartion from stop - SOLUTION  (Read 1710 times)

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
People 250, Bet & Win 250, Grand Dink 250, Grandvista 250 and maybe other Kymco scooters (and probably other brands a well).... Clutch Squeak when starting suddenly or on a hill.

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=22592.msg157748#msg157748

The solution has nothing to do with the clutch shoes or springs.  The variator mechanism in the rear which is like a giant screw that when moved one way closes up forcing the pulley to the outer diameter of the pulley and when it moves the other way is separates and allows the belt to fall down inside closer to the center as a way of changing gears or gear ratios.  I discovered this when my rear wheel was starting to have trouble "unlocking when coming to a stop.  If I put my scoot on the center stand there was drag when turning the rear wheel as though I was stuck in gear. 

The solution remove the rear pulley as a complete assembly - put it on the ground and stand on it and unlock the large thin locking nut and slowly release the spring pressure.  Dissemble all parts, clean off old grease put new grease in and reassemble.  This solve my problem but also eliminated the clutch squeak AND changed the entire "feel" of starting from a stop - no more squeak and no more feeling the clutch "lock up" The transistion from stop to 5 mph to 10, 15 etc is totally seamless under all circumstances - even starting on a very steep hill.

Looking back it was at about 7 years and 10K miles that I first started to hear or notice the squeek when accelerating rapidly or on a steep hill.  So this fairly straightforward procedure is probably a good idea every 8 to 10K miles.
PaulC

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Good tip, thanks!
Have never had that part apart yet...but have seen it done with the feet after a big crescent wrench used to break the big nut loose. Tap the wrench handle on the concrete while holding the assembly. Then stand on it.
Saw this on youtube yrs ago.
So far my LIKE200i is crazy smooth on take off.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Good tip, thanks!
Have never had that part apart yet...but have seen it done with the feet after a big crescent wrench used to break the big nut loose. Tap the wrench handle on the concrete while holding the assembly. Then stand on it.
Saw this on youtube yrs ago.
So far my LIKE200i is crazy smooth on take off.
Stig

Basically, if it is totally smooth there is nothing to do.  In my case I bought my GV250 in 2011 used with 2600mi from the 2nd owner.  While I have owned many motorcycles this was my first scooter so I didn't have a sense of how smooth the drive / clutch / variator etc should operate.  The first thing I remember was at around 8K miles there would be a minor rhythmic vibration at 65 to 80mph.  I thought that was an indication that the belt was worn.  At 10K I changed the belt and later the variator weights but the vibration was unchanged.  Also, at around 10K I started to hear the clutch squeak if I accelerated suddenly or when starting off on a very steep hill.  I figured it was rust?  I heard the same exact squeak on an older burgman 400 that I test road and was thinking about buying that had around 12K miles?

I use my scoot much more than my car basically every day so I kind of live by don't fix it if it aint broke.  But recently I could feel that it was like it was stuck in gear then I said for sure it is time to work on it. 

The big surprise:
It not only resolved the problem but resulted in a perfectly smooth engagement from 0 mph to any speed that I couldn't ever remember feeling.  It is so smooth it feels like I driving a different scooter.  Also, on the highway yesterday I ran wide open for several miles and reached an indicated speed of 86mph (~ 80mph actual) and could not hear or feel any vibration from the drive line.  It is almost too smooth to where it feels like a Toyota Camry with a v6.  I got used to the feeling of the clutch "locking up" at around 10mph so not having that feeling is very strange.  I used to say and live by - wait until you feel the clutch "lock up" before getting on the gas hard to save wear on the centrifugal clutch.  I can't say that anymore.

My new saying if you feel your clutch "locking up" at around 8mph and or hear a squeal - it is time for a clean and grease of the rear clutch spring assembly.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()