Author Topic: Clutch slipping?  (Read 14641 times)

MJR

• View Profile
Clutch slipping?
« on: April 14, 2016, 03:00:21 AM »
Has anyone had a clutch slipping (can smell it) issue? When I bought the bike taking off from a start the clutch would initially engage around 2,000 RPM and be good after that. I Just got off work and rode home then close to my house at a stop light taking off it was slipping all the way up to about 5,000 RPM but seem ok once I'm at speed. Not real happy at this moment.  :o
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

xsel777

• View Profile
Re: Clutch slipping?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 02:27:27 PM »
If you got this scoot from the dealer, I would be marching right back to them with this issue. It should definitely not be happening.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 02:28:57 PM »
If it was a private sale, then I would sandpaper the bell, at the least an inspection is highly recommended.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 03:48:45 PM »
Bought it brand new. I rode it to work this morning. If I don't let the PRMs go past 3,000 on a take off once it hits about 15mph it seems just fine. It's just not exactly safe worrying about taking off from an intersection without getting run over because you really can't launch it. I can't take it in till maybe Saturday to a local dealer (not where I bought it) so I figure I'll ride it with extra caution till then.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 03:56:01 PM by MJR »
'14 White MyRoad 700i

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 05:13:08 PM »
Let us know what transpires.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 05:35:45 PM »
I wonder if its actually the belt slipping during taking off from a start. Either way I'll be dropping it off in service tomorrow. They have already said they probably won't be able to diagnose it until Tuesday and then if they find the cause parts will have to be ordered etc... The one thing I'm fearing a bit is will the dealer or Kymco stand behind it if they feel it's the clutch or belt since as per the warranty normal wear items are not covered. I would hope so since I only have just under 200 miles on the bike. Fingers crossed they will take care of me and my bike.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 06:25:28 PM »
I wonder if its actually the belt slipping during taking off from a start. Either way I'll be dropping it off in service tomorrow. They have already said they probably won't be able to diagnose it until Tuesday and then if they find the cause parts will have to be ordered etc... The one thing I'm fearing a bit is will the dealer or Kymco stand behind it if they feel it's the clutch or belt since as per the warranty normal wear items are not covered. I would hope so since I only have just under 200 miles on the bike. Fingers crossed they will take care of me and my bike.
Take a look at your 2 year warranty papers.....you are well covered for this kind of stuff.
Warranty starts from date it was road registered by the first owner.
It is a bit complicated...with certain areas having different warranty periods....but you should have no worries. If dealer bales for any reason there is a regional Kymco service rep. who will want to keep a customer happy.
That has been my experience, anyway.
Interested to see what might be happening with your scoot - the belt...or the clutch, or?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 01:00:26 AM »
Got up early this morning to drive up and drop off the scoot by 9am. I can't believe the writeup guy even suggested it might just be breaking in. I said it didn't do this until I hit 140 miles on it and that it was all of a sudden. I don't feel confident in making it through an intersection from a dead stop. No way that's breaking in on a 700 bike. Anyway it's in service and hopefully they can visually see something when they open it up. Then it will be waiting for parts. I'm figuring I'll be without the scoot for 2 weeks as a guess. They said Tuesday is when they will have time to check it out. After I hear back I'll post up what they found.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 02:15:55 AM »
Got up early this morning to drive up and drop off the scoot by 9am. I can't believe the writeup guy even suggested it might just be breaking in. I said it didn't do this until I hit 140 miles on it and that it was all of a sudden. I don't feel confident in making it through an intersection from a dead stop. No way that's breaking in on a 700 bike. Anyway it's in service and hopefully they can visually see something when they open it up. Then it will be waiting for parts. I'm figuring I'll be without the scoot for 2 weeks as a guess. They said Tuesday is when they will have time to check it out. After I hear back I'll post up what they found.
Service write-up guys can be scary....but his remark is pretty spooky. Best to just keep his mouth shut and write your concerns. New scooter which is dangerous in an intersection because it is just being run in.!
Mine 1st experience with one in a 2 wheel dealer was off-putting.....when he told me it would take "a couple of hours" to get down through the plastic panels on my LIKE200i to do a valve adjustment....and at $378 !
I'd never seen a scooter close up...but I had the feeler gauge in the valve lash in not much more than 30 mins....which is why they rarely get to see any of my scooters.
Good luck.
I'm thinking leaking seal putting oil on belt or clutch .....? What is the birthday of the scoot? Dry, cracked belt or shaft seal?
New belts are tight, not loose. KYMCO didn't fit the wrong size belt.
Grease flung onto a part that should be dry?
Would think they might spot it straight off when belt cover is removed.
Strange....but you are well covered. It is the KYMCO flagship model.
And this is not a new scooter design with teething troubles.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 03:24:04 AM »
Service write-up guys can be scary....but his remark is pretty spooky. Best to just keep his mouth shut and write your concerns. New scooter which is dangerous in an intersection because it is just being run in.!
Mine 1st experience with one in a 2 wheel dealer was off-putting.....when he told me it would take "a couple of hours" to get down through the plastic panels on my LIKE200i to do a valve adjustment....and at $378 !
I'd never seen a scooter close up...but I had the feeler gauge in the valve lash in not much more than 30 mins....which is why they rarely get to see any of my scooters.
Good luck.
I'm thinking leaking seal putting oil on belt or clutch .....? What is the birthday of the scoot? Dry, cracked belt or shaft seal?
New belts are tight, not loose. KYMCO didn't fit the wrong size belt.
Grease flung onto a part that should be dry?
Would think they might spot it straight off when belt cover is removed.
Strange....but you are well covered. It is the KYMCO flagship model.
And this is not a new scooter design with teething troubles.

The build date is March 2014. He actually suggested as a possibility of a seal leak as well. Let's hope it's something simple and quick to fix so I can get back to riding it rather than having it in for service.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 08:17:49 PM »
Heard back from the service department just about an hour ago. Said some extra grease from a bearing ended up on the clutch shoes as can be seen in the attached photos below. Waiting on Kymco's reply for recommended repair at this point.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:19:20 PM by MJR »
'14 White MyRoad 700i

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 05:03:18 AM »
Alright then, nothing major. Just replace bearing/seal and clutch pads,  and your bad boy will be rocketing through the streets of your town /city once again! All at no  cost to you.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 01:01:34 PM »
Thanks for the up-date!
That is a fascinating first look into this big scooter....thank you for the pictures.
It will be interesting to see what happens next from KYMCO.

Wonder if they have to kick this kind of thing back to Taiwan or if the buck stops somewhere in N.America?
Who makes the decision? Clean it up & give it back - or replace parts?
This being KYMCO's flagship ....might make things happen differently...or not.

When my dealer was dragging...I sent an email to getinfo@kymcousa.com and heard back pretty quickly.
Eventually had a phone # and a name of my area service rep. from KYMCO. Nice guy - lit up the dealer, got me fixed.
Thanks for keeping us posted.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 06:27:24 PM »
Thanks for the up-date!
That is a fascinating first look into this big scooter....thank you for the pictures.
It will be interesting to see what happens next from KYMCO.

Wonder if they have to kick this kind of thing back to Taiwan or if the buck stops somewhere in N.America?
Who makes the decision? Clean it up & give it back - or replace parts?
This being KYMCO's flagship ....might make things happen differently...or not.

When my dealer was dragging...I sent an email to getinfo@kymcousa.com and heard back pretty quickly.
Eventually had a phone # and a name of my area service rep. from KYMCO. Nice guy - lit up the dealer, got me fixed.

The service advisor called back yesterday and said Kymco wanted to clean the grease off and retry the bike before replacing the clutch. This morning I called Kymco USA and was transferred to the California reps voicemail. Haven't heard anything back yet. I also sent a email off to the service advisor saying I would like the clutch (part with the pads) replaced as I do not feel safe on it anymore and that once oil/grease has gotten on the fiction material then soaked in affecting it's griping ability/longevity it will never be right. Plus I said I bought this bike new and it doesn't even have 200 miles on it. Let's hope they get with the program. I wouldn't clean off oily brake pads and send a customer down the road, lol.

Thanks for the e-mail addy. I also sent an e-mail off to them with all the information.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:11:56 PM by MJR »
'14 White MyRoad 700i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 08:05:09 PM »
Neither would I or any the rest of these guys! Stick to yer guns!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()