Author Topic: Roof, radio, or any mods to uxv 450  (Read 3084 times)

2015uxv450

• View Profile
Roof, radio, or any mods to uxv 450
« on: April 07, 2016, 02:48:07 AM »
Hi new to kymco. Just bought a 2015 450 a month ago. Can't find anyone talking about making their own roof, radios, windshields, cabs etc. wondering if anyone here does. I know a lot of the Polaris, and Yamaha guys do ( but they have aftermarket options) kymco I have found is hard to find anything for the 450 series uxv. Looking to mod my uxv, and just seeing if anyone else has done anything.

Thanks
Derrick

ppd153

• View Profile
Re: Roof, radio, or any mods to uxv 450
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 02:38:05 PM »
I don't have the 450 so I'm not familiar with the layout. I have the 700 and have speakers and an amp installed. The cost was under $100 and took a couple hours to install. The amp is mounted in the storage box under the hood. A simple audio jack is plugged into the amp input and the female end is mounted to the dash. The box speakers are mounted to the rollbar above and behind the seats. I did make new speaker mounts with heavier steel straps I bought at a hardware store. It works perfectly for me. I plug an iPod in and have my tunes on the trail.

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 04:38:22 PM »
Try Kymcousa.com, go to the accessories section

2015uxv450

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 10:55:21 PM »
Thanks souzamoto but I have seen the kymco accessories. More interested in building stuff myself. Tend to look nicer and be of a higher quality, plus the added satisfaction of building it and saving a bunch of money

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 01:15:24 AM »
   Unfortunately the factory is building them so fast they don't have time for accessories. The mfg was hoping aftermarket people would step in for accessories but not much out there yet. I did go with the factory top as it looked good on my 450i, not real cheap but looks really good. Windshields were very high in price so I made my own from Lexan, half windshield I bought at closeout sale then modified to my machine and bought a blank piece for the upper half and cut it to fit, then added an aluminum angle as a stiffener just like the factory jobs. I have posted articles about the windshield in other sections of this forum. My total cost for entire windshield was just a tad over 200, bought the windshield mounts off e-bay. Not big into radio when I am off-roading so no interest in stereo. Did make my own plow mount to attach to the frame as the universal mounts were mickey-mouse. Just typical rearview mirror, winch, turned the roll bar cross brace into my license plate holder, and added a multi-use trailer hitch to the receiver.  Don't see a need for light bars as the headlights are quite good. Just completed my 30 gallon lawn sprayer with boom unit so I can spray for weeds in the coming weeks.  Whatever you decide to do with yours please keep us posted with your ideas as we are all looking for new ideas.

2015uxv450

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 01:52:54 AM »
Thanks. Building a house soon so budget is limited, hence the build it myself mantra. Plan on doing roof soon. Will definitely keep posted with updates

2015uxv450

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 11:47:30 PM »
So currently have made a roof. Thin plywood that was free, with some rubberized Bedliner I had laying around. And just today I scored a 4' x 8' x 1/4" sheet of polycarbonate. 300$ my local glass store wanted, but they had a sheet out back with a few scratches from shipping. I got it for $60. So now I am trying my hand at making a 2 piece windshield. Pictures will follow!

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 02:19:30 AM »
  I made my own windshield from 5mm polycarbonate sheet. I bought a half windshield from Cabela's when they had a closeout sale, bought one for a different machine then cut/trimmed it to fit. then added the top half just for winter/cold weather use, gets removed in the summer heat. You can buy the rubberized strap clamps that are used on windshields off E-Bay, mine were 16 bucks for a set of four. I clamped the sheeting to the frame then traced around with a felt tip marker then cut it with a roto zip cutting tool then sanded the edges with an air disc sander. remounted with c-clamps then figured out where to mount the holding rings and drilled the holes. Works and looks great. Just remember "never wipe" the windshield, use a hose and squirt the dirt off.  Make sure you have polycarbonate sheet or it will crack and shatter when you try to cut it. I also added a 45 drgree bend at top and bottom to make it more rigid but also decided to add a piece of aluminum angle all across the bottom where it sets on the half windshield for added strength as it did bow when you got up around 40 mph plus.  You won't find many accessories just yet but more are coming, look at the body armor items, I have some coming and can't wait to get them. Your going to like your machine!!!  We all do.....

2015uxv450

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 02:58:45 AM »
Thanks I love my machine. Started working on the windshield tonight. Working On a template so I can lay it over the poly and cut it out. I should easily have enough for the windshield and rear window. I'll keep everything posted

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 11:33:30 PM »
Thanks I love my machine. Started working on the windshield tonight. Working On a template so I can lay it over the poly and cut it out. I should easily have enough for the windshield and rear window. I'll keep everything posted

Yep....did the same thing, made a big cardboard template, easy to trim or add onto for that perfect fit. Once I was happy I traced it on the poly and used my RotoZip tool to cut it out, finished the edges with my disc sander and done.

2015uxv450

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 02:11:58 AM »

2015uxv450

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 02:12:49 AM »

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 11:52:38 PM »
    How about that...your machine looks just like mine...or mine looks just like yours.  Handy work you have there, I like to see people create their own stuff. If you have had your machine in the mud you will soon find there is a spot just inside the front wheel well towards the cab where the mud packs in and is very difficult to get out. The black wheel well trim, a frame section and the inner liner all come together right there and the mud can work its way in behind there so you have to remove the outer skid plates to get the mud out.  Yes it is a pain...a real pain so....I created my own mud flaps to cover this area. We have a local farm and home store similar to a tractor supply that had rubber mats for animal stalls. Nice black heavy rubber about 6 mils in thickness and 36" x 60" for 20 bucks. So I bought one and made some mud flap protectors to keep mud out from these recesses that are so hard to clean. I will post pics when I can get some light in there so the pic will come out. Actually they turned out better than expected and will give much more protection from crap of the front wheels. Will be looking at designing some for the rear as well, just haven't got that far yet.  Gotta love the homemade stuff that saves us money for gas for more ridin !!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()