Author Topic: Tecnigas Trek for People 2T  (Read 17542 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Re: Tecnigas Trek for People 2T
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2016, 10:26:32 PM »
So, you're going past 50mph/ 80kph on the speedo?  At that speed, my People 50 2T is turning approx 9000revs with BBK.  Unfortunately, with 49cc I didn't have a tach on it, so don't know what revs were?

I think you are going in the right direction.  One consequence of pipe that makes more HP, may be a little more trouble to tune.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2016, 11:59:41 AM »
Yeah, at 50 I was above 9000 rpm. Even downhill, before the pipe, it never went past 7700

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:07:00 PM by mclark999 »
Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2016, 01:38:51 PM »
You will amazed how it runs if/ when you get your CVT tuned.  Imagine how it will run when scooter starts from dead stop at around 8000 revs and stays there until it reaches approx 45mph.  Then revs continue to climb because CVT is in highest gear and scooter continues to gain speed.  With the Trek pipe, I think you should be able to turn 11000 revs plus with tailwind/ downslope, and that should be approx 60mph.

Problem is CVT costs $'s.  I have approx $200 in my CVT:  $70 Malossi variator, $20 Dr Pulley sliders, $95 Malossi torque driver, $18 Malossi green torque spring, plus maybe another $200 plus for rollers/ sliders, torque springs, fly springs  I bought to test. 

That's the way my Super 9 LC runs.  I really don't think I need BBK on it, it runs so well.  Has very good acceleration (less than People 50 2T with BBK the king of acceleration to 50mph) and great top speed.  People 50 2T is different animal and can use BBK IMO.  Cheers

1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2016, 05:08:28 PM »
You will amazed how it runs if/ when you get your CVT tuned.  Imagine how it will run when scooter starts from dead stop at around 8000 revs and stays there until it reaches approx 45mph.  Then revs continue to climb because CVT is in highest gear and scooter continues to gain speed.  With the Trek pipe, I think you should be able to turn 11000 revs plus with tailwind/ downslope, and that should be approx 60mph.

Problem is CVT costs $'s.  I have approx $200 in my CVT:  $70 Malossi variator, $20 Dr Pulley sliders, $95 Malossi torque driver, $18 Malossi green torque spring, plus maybe another $200 plus for rollers/ sliders, torque springs, fly springs  I bought to test. 

That's the way my Super 9 LC runs.  I really don't think I need BBK on it, it runs so well.  Has very good acceleration (less than People 50 2T with BBK the king of acceleration to 50mph) and great top speed.  People 50 2T is different animal and can use BBK IMO.  Cheers

I hear you about the $$$.  I just spent $50 on new rollers, torsion controller, and purple spring. That's on top of the $155 for the exhaust. $25 for jets, etc. 

Based on how it feels when it gets in the power zone, I'm going to be very happy I spent that much money.  The scooter only has 1000 miles on it so should last me a long time.

One thing that I'm still wondering about is the carb size.  The scoot has a 16mm carb which seems pretty little. Maybe that's all it needs for 50cc. 

I've been trying to find out what size carb the older People came with.  Up to about 2005, they were much faster. I know the exhaust was a big factor in newer scooters being slower, but I wonder what size carb the older scooters had.  Seems like mine with a performance exhaust is only going to be about the same speed as an older stock one.  Of course, I sometimes forget I lose about 20% of my power being at 5300 feet elevation.  Maybe that's the difference.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2016, 05:22:37 PM »
BTW, it wasn't too lean.  Before I started the project, I drilled two 3/8ths inch holes in the air filter housing to act as tuning ports and let in more air.  Since I thought it was running lean, I just covered up the holes and tested it again. It ran much worse, so I'm not too lean after all.  May still be a tad rich or may just need to adjust the needle as someone else pointed out.  Once I get it jetted right, I can open and close the holes as needed for winter/summer riding.

I'm not going to do any more tuning of the carb until I install the 5 gram rollers and get it operating in the correct rpm range. Hope the rollers get here by the weekend. 

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2016, 06:42:18 PM »
I don't have experience with scooters except here locally, but you being at 5000 ft, compared with my less than 1000 has to make some difference.

Next time you have your carb disassembled, measure the diameter of the barrel.  My People 50 2T OEM Keihin PB16 carb barrel measures approx 17mm, my Malossi Dellorto 19mm carb barrel measures approx 21mm, and looks 2X's bigger than the OEM Keihin PB16 carb barrel.

I think you probably have the same carb as my 05 People, but would be interesting to compare.  I think the main diff between years is the pipe, but I don't know.

I really like my People and go back and forth between liking it best or not compared to my Super 9.  Mine has over 6000 miles/ 10000 kilometers and seems in really good shape, although I recently stripped out one of the CVT cover bolt holes (should be easy heli-coil fix).

Another good mod is to install better tires.  I installed set Heidenau K63 on mine and is big improvement of OEM tires in ride and handling.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 02:08:55 AM »
Man 50mph at 9K rpm thats nice is that GPS verified? The People must have same gears as Super 9 to go with them tall tires lol cuz my Like 50 will BBK and pipe and all my goodies hits 50 at around 9300RPM and 60 downhill at 9900rpm. . .still haven't got it over 10K rpm but I'm not trying to either lol.
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 04:04:52 AM »
pace, no gps, just guessing lols.  I do think Super 9 has taller gears, seems to turn less revs for similar speed.  Glad your Like BBK is still running well.  Too bad oil pump cable didn't break while still in warranty.  That's really a bummer, could happen to anyone.

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2016, 01:46:25 PM »
I leaned it out a little by opening up the air box a little more and it runs pretty good once it's warmed up for a couple of minutes.

So much more fun with the extra power. Eager for the 5 gram rollers to get here so I can run it in it's power band. Right now it's revving between 7200 and 7400 while it's accelerating. Needs to be at 8500-9000.

Much quicker than stock already. Glad I did this.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2016, 12:05:18 PM »
Look what came today. Let's see if I can get it tuned for the 8500 power curve

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2016, 02:12:42 AM »
Look what came today. Let's see if I can get it tuned for the 8500 power curve

I put in the 5 gram rollers and now the variator is tuned to about 8150 rpm.  I think adding the torsion controller will get me to the 8400 mark. It preloads the spring by 5 mm and that will probably do it.  Probably don't need the purple spring.

We'll see.

One thing is clear is that I don't have the low speed jet right.  I can't get it to start and run when it's cold. Even with the air screw all the way rich, it still needs to be manually choked (hand covering the air snorkel) to keep it running. 

It's stays running when it's warm, but sputters when I first get on the throttle.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2016, 06:04:09 PM »
I think you are right about the torsion control making the torsion spring a little stiffer.  I have installed these and taken them out and don't recall any noticible difference, but I wasn't specifically testing for that part.  However, I think the Malossi Purple spring is actually less stiff than the OEM spring, if you install it your variator revs will actually go down for the same weight rollers.  The Malossi description is missleading, makes it seen like the springs are additional stiffness, but are not, for example: purple is 82% as stiff as the OEM.

I like to run them because a less stiff torque spring takes less HP to run CVT.  You install a stiffer torque spring if belt is slipping.  I like to run the Green torque spring 60% with my 49cc Super 9 LC and have never experience belt slip.  Cheers

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2016, 03:24:25 PM »
Had some time this morning to get the main jet setting right.  I'm at an 89 main up from the 70 that was in there. Keep in mind that I'm at 5300 feet altitude so not as big a jet as at sea level. I opened up the stock airbox quite a bit from stock. The stock box has a 11/16 inch snorkel feeding into it.  I've added five 1/2 inch holes to get the air fuel mix right with the 89 jet. That's almost 4 times the size of the openings.

So I know nobody really cares about the jetting. You just want to know the results, right?  Before the pipe I was maxing out on the flat at 42 mph per the speedometer.  Now I'm at 52 - 53 mph per the speedo. Don't know what that is per GPS, but that's a big increase.  Over a 10 mph increase.

It's also a lot better on the hills.  There is a long, maybe half mile hill that I have to ride up to get to my house and before the pipe, I'd gradually slow down until I was going only 25 up it. This morning, I went up it and slowed only to 35. So I've solved my two biggest complaints with the pipe. Now I can get up that street and stay over the 30 mph speed limit and I can go on the couple of 45 mph roads that get me across town without slowing down traffic.  I'm happy!

Keep in mind if you are evaluating buying this pipe that it needs to be tuned to about 8400 rpm. It's not a low rpm pipe. Not a racing pipe either. I bogs just a little on take off with the stock clutch kicking in at around 4000 rpm. I may consider a little stronger clutch springs but I need to get the slow jet correct first. I can tell the slow jet is too lean because as I went leaner and leaner to get the main jet right, the scooter got harder and harder to start.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2016, 03:28:53 PM »
Liking it so far
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:44:09 PM by mclark999 »

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2016, 01:41:01 PM »
The Trek sure upped the fun factor on this scoot. I had no idea a 50cc could put out that much power.

I was so used to riding everywhere full throttle that I now have to be careful about speed limits and braking points.

Very happy already and I still need to fine tune variator for a little more rpm and maybe get a little higher rpm clutch springs.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 01:45:25 PM by mclark999 »

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()