Author Topic: Derestricting a People 50  (Read 31058 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Derestricting a People 50
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 11:51:15 PM »
My best guess would be either a test port for dialing in the emissions or there was not enough room in the design to meet air space specs, and they added it there. The first year Vrods had a similar set up on the exhaust where they added a dead end tube under the muffler cover to gain air space for the Tone of the bike
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 11:53:05 PM »
..i've never seen one like that...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wreck

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 12:58:03 AM »
My 07'has that exhaust setup, Well for a couple more days it does.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 01:03:16 AM »
...what is all that for??

especially the lower, crimped? pipe...i don't get it...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 02:18:09 AM »
That definitely looks like there is a catalytic converter in that pipe!  Weird, I've never seen one quite like that!  The best option is to buy an aftermarket replacement and get rid of all that stuff!

bniesen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 02:51:57 PM »
I have a 2005 people 50 2t and I'll have to look to see if I have that dingleberry exhaust thing. One question.  If you derestrict a stock muffler, by either cutting the restrictive cone off the flang or/and drilling out the restriction washer inside the flange, do you have to worry about rejetting??
So far I believe the clutch/variator and the cdi have been derestricted when I bought it second or third hand, I can easily get up to around 45mph.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 04:30:54 AM »
Ok so I had the variator boss, or whatever my dealer called it and wanted $40 for, machined down. As I understand that should have came with my bike. >:( Anyways I got a pretty good idea of how it works while I was in there. Now its doing about 40mph (takes a little while to get there). I have the green CDI wire disconnected. But it doesnt seem to make any difference. I also pulled the exhaust pipe off and sure enough zombie was right, there is no re-stricter in the header of the pipe. I really dont want to open it up and have it welded back together. So I guess I'll be in the market for a new pipe. I also don't want to spend a lot of money for it. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »
someone had one for sale in the people 50 section ;)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 01:38:47 AM »
The entire idea of upgrading parts is to increase fuel flo... This good thing = torque. That sctuff = jets
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 11:34:26 PM »
ONCE I CHANGE MY BOSS DRIVE I GAINED 20 MPH EASY. THE CDI UNIT REALLY DID NOT DO TO MUCH BUT HELP A LITTLE OR MAYBE I CANNOT TELL BECAUSE THE SPEEDO NEEDLE IS PINNED AT 50 MPH, I WISH I CAN CHANGE THE SPEEDOMETER BOX SO I CAN SEE MY REAL SPEED, BUT THE BOSS IS THE CHEAPEST WAY TO GO.
ALL STOCK

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 03:42:22 AM »
I have a 2005 people 50 2t and I'll have to look to see if I have that dingleberry exhaust thing. One question.  If you derestrict a stock muffler, by either cutting the restrictive cone off the flang or/and drilling out the restriction washer inside the flange, do you have to worry about rejetting??
So far I believe the clutch/variator and the cdi have been derestricted when I bought it second or third hand, I can easily get up to around 45mph.
    In Most cases you will have to go up 1-2 jet sizes when you de-restrict the pipe. The only way to be sure is adjust the idle mix screw for the best idle, and do a top end plug chop w/ a NEW spark plug. You want an even tan to coffee color on the plug. For Peters430 http://www.tecnigas.com/o/inici.php?idioma=en  they make some very good exhaust systems for the Kymco's. Find the model you want, and shop for the best price. We can help you find a good price, as most of us do all our parts shopping on line

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 09:26:51 AM »
So is the Tecnigas Next R pipe a better performing pipe than the Leo Vince TT pipe? The Leo Vince TT seems to be about $75 cheeper. I dont mind removing the cone at the begining of the Leo Vince pipe if thats the only restriction. I don't know, maybe I'll just go for the Tecnigas.
Thanks guys. You've all been a lot of help :).
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

dreflu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 05:38:53 PM »
buy a big bore kit. imo

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 02:24:32 AM »
So is the Tecnigas Next R pipe a better performing pipe than the Leo Vince TT pipe? The Leo Vince TT seems to be about $75 cheeper. I dont mind removing the cone at the begining of the Leo Vince pipe if thats the only restriction. I don't know, maybe I'll just go for the Tecnigas.
Thanks guys. You've all been a lot of help :).

I believe the Leo has a restriction inside the expansion chamber that you have to cut the pipe in half and re-weld to remove.  I'm not down with hacking up a new exhaust so I run the Tecnigas.  If you are planning on running a BBK in the near future get the RSII though.  I'm running the Next R on my 70cc set-up and wish I had the RSII at this point.  I think I'd get 60 mph much easier if I had it! ;)

art

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 04:10:22 PM »
My 2 cents.I believe that 2008 to 2010 has a cat the small tube is a rebreather cycles back to airbox.My 2009 was lucky to reach 35mph with this setup down hill!!!Ha!I think this was kymco's attempt to get into california's market.I was lucky enouph to have a 2002 pipe swaped it pluged the tube to airbox ran an #85 main and a 3/8 hole at front of air box in front of the filter.was hitting 52mph, probably do a little better with the tecnogas and pod.I've heard you can cut the excess off and cap be sure to plug the tube,but havn't tried it got one sittin here. Good luck all.  P.s.Had to buy the cobra c.d.i.No external green wire.I hear thers one inside Anyone now how to get to it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:14:18 PM by art »
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()