Author Topic: Derestricting a People 50  (Read 31050 times)

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Derestricting a People 50
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:56:36 AM »
Hi,
I just purchased a 2008 or 2009 People 50 2-stroke. Took it to the dealer today and they wanted $250 to derestrict it. I have been researching on the internet all day and from what I under stand is there is 4 different methods. 1 the variator boss. 2 is the exhaust. 3 is rejeting the carb. And 4 is the rev limiter on the CDI box.

The variator boss seems to be strait forward and I found for about $21 at Yamaha of Burlington, NC. The exhaust I have some questions about. I need to take the pipe off and grind the washer on the inside close to where it attaches to the head? Also there are two tubes that split off of the pipe. One on the bottom seems to go nowhere and ends about 5 or 6 inches after it splits off. Should I cut this and weld it shut? I have read about other people with other brands doing this. The other tube goes up to a junction and then has a rubber hose coming off of that. The dealer was talking about cutting that. Is this some sort of EGR. Can I cut this and weld it shut? Next is rejeting the carb. What is the size of the jet in there now? And what size should it be after I derestrict the exhaust? Last the CDI box. From what ive read I should just disconnect the green wire with the bullet connector. Should I just disconnect it or should I connect it to this pink wire right beside it?  I will try to get some more pics tomorrow    
 Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:58:51 AM by Peters430 »
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Derestricting a People 50
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 09:24:58 PM »
..Welcome to th' Forum Peters430!!

..where you located? in NC?..

..I live between asheboro and randleman...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 09:38:26 PM »
Thanks,
I live in Greensboro
*2001 ZX-50 beater

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:06:38 PM »
..cool!!..i'm not up on the 2-strokes so much, but there are several ppl here that can help you with de-restricting it...

..if you do remove the exhaust restriction you will need to up-size your main jet, probably 1-2 sizes...

..and im pretty sure you disconnect the green wire on your cdi, but don't think you connect it to any other wire...just tape or otherwise cover any bare conductors...

...where did you get your scoot from?

peace

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 12:53:24 AM »
K thanks for the advice.
I got it from Scooternerds off Battleground in Greensboro. I really like this scooter and I have read it is good quality. Id just like to make it go faster than 30mph and $250 sounds a little steep for something I could do for like $30 in parts.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:58:18 AM by Peters430 »
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 01:06:08 AM »
Do you have any other pics of where that exhaust pipe comes from?  I've never seen that.  My guess is you can just cut it off and weld it back closed.  The exhaust restriction, if you have one, is found just inside the header pipe.  If you pull the exhaust off the cylinder and look inside, you would see what looks like a washer restricting the size down inside.  You just grind it out.  As for the CDI I'd really have to see which one you have.  If there is a green wire with a connector, try un-plugging and see what happens.  I don't know of any where you have to disconnect one wire and attach it to another.  I definitely don't know it all though!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 01:20:06 AM »
..yeah, scooternerds is the only place around here close to get a kymco..

..one of the reasons they are so high, is that they seem to have to order all their parts, and they charge you shipping..

..everything i've priced there, i've found cheaper online, sometimes with free shipping...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 05:31:07 AM »
Ok thanks shaka. I have tried unpluging the green wire but did'nt really make any difference. I didnt think it would without doing the other derestrictions first. Well, I guess I'll wait. I will get some more pics on here tomorrow when I have some daylight. Thanks again.

Yea Scooternerds is a little pricey.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 06:23:19 AM »
If the cdi is derestricted it will be an instantly noticeable difference!  Each restriction is not dependent upon the others either.  The cdi is major one, then the variator bushing.  You may not have all of the restrictions either. The cdi and variator bushing are the most common though.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 05:01:35 PM »
There are a few things that seem odd to me! The pipe for starters. I don't see a kymco exhaust that matches yours. My guess is it is a catalyzed exhaust. Even removing the restriction in the header, will not open the exhaust enough to make a big difference. The variator has a shoulder on the boss, that can be machined flush, and installing 6-7gr rollers will bring your rpms. up to where you can feel some power. The cdi sounds like it came off an older Super9. That should just unplug, and be de-restricted. I would just look at another exhaust to really open the scoot up.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 05:48:06 PM »
Aftermarket exhaust maybe in the future. Just dont have the money for it now. Here are some more pics
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 05:51:41 PM »
another pic sorry its only letting me do one or two at a time.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 05:52:15 PM »
one more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 08:54:49 PM »
That is a catalyzed exhaust! Just a guess but I doubt there is a re-stricter in the header, Doesn't hurt to look tho. you could remove the plumbing, and have the holes welded, and if you go that far I would cut the muffler open to by pass/ remove the converter. A die grinder, and an hour or so is all it would take. You can then get the whole shebang re welded for maybe $40.00. You can check the VIN on the down tube for the frame for the year. There is a series of letters (8 of them), and the year code is the next 2 numbers (08/09 whatever) I just checked mine to be sure, and found what I have been posting as an '04 is actually an '01.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 10:02:23 PM »
..looks like that lower appendage is sealed off already...is it?

..shouldnt hurt anything to leave it if it is...

..what th' hell is that anyway ???

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()