Author Topic: problems with my Kymco 200 People S  (Read 14113 times)

Carol

• Brainerd, Minnesota
  • Look me up on facebook !
    • View Profile
problems with my Kymco 200 People S
« on: March 14, 2010, 11:37:57 PM »
 We bought this 2007, 200 People S new and have had the same problem since buying it.    When I try to start it, it acts as thought the battery  disconnects.  The clock resets and the dash goes black.    The dealer has *fixed* it three times and says the problem is that I don't ride it enough.....(it has 700 miles on it).....I would ride it if it started dang it!!!

Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this or what it will take to fix it? 

Thanks in advance.

Carol
Central Minnesota
>:(
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to skid in broadside , thoroughly used up , totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!!"

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: problems with my Kymco 200 People S
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 12:15:02 AM »
My Vento does that as well.  I've narrowed it down to a loose connection in the ignition.  On yours it may also be a ground wire, probably on the starter, that has a weak connection.  You can take it off and sand down the metal where it contacts to make sure it has a good connection.  You may want to ask your dealer about replacing the ignition. 

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 09:18:47 AM »
We bought this 2007, 200 People S new and have had the same problem since buying it.    When I try to start it, it acts as thought the battery  disconnects.  The clock resets and the dash goes black.    The dealer has *fixed* it three times and says the problem is that I don't ride it enough.....(it has 700 miles on it).....I would ride it if it started dang it!!!

Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this or what it will take to fix it?  

Thanks in advance.

Carol
Central Minnesota
>:(

New owner of my ex. Piaggio Beverly 200 has the same issue.
I have never had it.
Not resolved yet AFAIK.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Domo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:04:36 AM »
wvlady63,
I purchased my 2007 people s 200 in April 2009 used with low miles.  Had the same problem after roughly 1 month with it.  (Former owner was friend and did purchase new battery before he sold it to me so battery wasn't the issue.)
What did the dealer "fix"?  -New battery?  New ignition switch?  Starter?  Starter relay?
I will be taking mine to dealer and would like find out similar circumstances before I go.

Also, have new problem!?  Key will not turn in ignition.  Can't open seat etc...

Anyone with any help?

Thanks.

Domo
LI NY

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 01:05:27 AM »
Yo Domo! Hampton Bays indahouse! The key situation can easily be fixed w/ a little WD40. Spray a little in, and wiggle it yo! My feeling is the loss of power to the "systems" could also be caused/cured in the Ign. switch. Try it and see...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Carol

• Brainerd, Minnesota
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 05:24:11 AM »

Contacted the dealer again, while talking to them - mentioned this forum and the scooter is going back to the shop for a new ignition.
Dealer had not checked the ignition, just the battery and the starter.  The scooter has had a new battery twice, and  a new stater (whatever that is).
  The issue we have been having with this scooter has been present since bringing it home new in '07.   I don't know what other options I have regarding this, if it is not the ignition. 
  Frankly , It just might be the worst purchase I have ever made....... and then it may been one of the best.  Can't beat the gas mileage when it does start.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to skid in broadside , thoroughly used up , totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!!"

abobotek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 06:09:20 AM »
I had the same problem with my 2007 People S 200 when I bought it used (with 475 miles) in January 2009.  The clock would reset on starting if I let the scooter sit without riding for over a day or so.  The original owner told me she always kept it on a battery tender when not riding.  

What happens is that the starter motor places a high load on the battery, causing the battery voltage to drop to below what's necessary to maintain the state of the electronics (including the clock).  This can be caused by poor connections, but is commonly caused by an old battery which can't put out the cranking Amps that it did when new, or a low-quality battery with insufficient cranking power.  

The fix was a new good-quality battery - a sealed Yuasa YTX7A-BS.  It's been working perfectly for over a year now.  I'm suspicious of the quality of the original battery that came with the scooter, and of the bargain-priced replacement batteries.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:23:41 AM by abobotek »
Red 2007 People S 200
Black 2008 Yamaha Majesty

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 05:23:49 PM »
The fix was a new good-quality battery - a sealed Yuasa YTX7A-BS.  It's been working perfectly for over a year now.  I'm suspicious of the quality of the original battery that came with the scooter, and of the bargain-priced replacement batteries.   As well you should be. They are garbage. My stock was an h-4 lead acid that has been replaced w/ a h-5 gell cell (Interstate). Hopefully the dealer will change out the switch, and all will be good in the world again. If not an amp meter hooked in series from the battery will tell if there is too much current being drawn for the system. The meter can be moved to find the faulty component. A quick voltage drop test will show if abobotek has it right. Simply hook a voltmeter across the battery, note the voltage, and crank the engine. It should be approx. 12v+ sitting, and no less than 10v cranking. If it falls below 10 volts that is the reset voltage for most all electronics, including the cdi. If it does go below 10, you need to find the cause w/ the ammeter.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Carol

• Brainerd, Minnesota
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 04:48:38 AM »
 ;)

The battery was removed and used to start the kymco venox sitting next to it in the garage. Fired right up.......go figure!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 04:57:10 AM »
The 2 different machines will react differently to the same battery. If there is a fault in the people, it will not show up in the other. Or if the batt is marginal at best, it may start one but not the other.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 05:24:02 AM »
Use lock graphite if you are going to lube the ignition lock.  You can get it at most locksmiths and many larger key suppliers.  It comes in a small white tube and blows graphite into the lock. It doesn't dry out or gum up like some oil based lubricants. It is often sold mounted to a card on the rack with the key rings and other such items.

Domo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 07:15:15 PM »
Finally was able to turn key with a little wd-40 and a lot of elbow grease.  Was afraid I was going to break key.  Still does not turn smoothly and key not gets stuck IN ignition, but it is "working". 
Once key worked I purchased yuasa battery this weekend, not intentionally - just by what parts rep recommended($100!!).  Put it in and it started right up!  Last summer I was letting it run for an extra 15 min or so (short ride to work - 10 min) after each ride so it would have enough juice for the next start.
With this "quality" battery will I still need to do that or should a tender be used regardless?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 08:05:34 PM »
The 10 minute ride is enough to keep the battery in top shape. I have never used a tender for any of my bikes/scooters. If it will be laid up for an extended period I found it easier to remove the battery from the scoot, and store it out of the way. When the scoot is going to be used again I will then put it on a Quick charge. Yusa Makes a good battery, but 100.00 sounds a little on the steep side to me. I purchase several dozen Marine deep cycle, and cranking batteries a year thru Interstate, and they average $49-63.00. I would look around a little ,find some reasonable prices, and bring it to the attention of your vendor. I think he may have added a $40.00 dinner to the bill.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 04:33:46 AM »
WVlady and Domo.  You may both want to check your idle speed to make sure it's up where it should be.  If it's too low, the battery may not be getting charged at all at idle. 

Domo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 12:19:07 PM »
New battery and so far so good!  Starts immediately and all components including clock functioning.  Now just waiting for dryer weather to hit it everyday.  Will need to use it everyday for a few weeks to be confident.

Key issue still not completely resolved.  Continues to stick, hard to turn, gets stuck etc...  Purchased graphite "liquid".  Much of a difference between liquid and powder? 

BTW - thanks for all the help.  Lots of info.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()