Author Topic: Side Stand safety switch  (Read 20962 times)

axy

• View Profile
Re: Side Stand safety switch
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 06:57:37 PM »
Even though I am not a religious son-of-a-b*tch, I live by the simple Biblical maxim: Do what thou wilt, if it harm none (except your own dumb a$$, possibly).  ;)

I can say I have personally witnessed a scooter dump at least a half-dozen times where someone started the bike on its side stand, and left it running, unattended.

I've considered removing the kickstand on my P250, as I never use it. Never. For one thang, it seems to me to be at least an inch too short, if not 1.5".

You should see what it feels like to leave on a side stand small Kymco, for example Cobra 50 or Agility 125.
Feels even worse than big Kymcos.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Lammy1000

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 10:16:16 PM »
Even though I am not a religious son-of-a-b*tch, I live by the simple Biblical maxim: Do what thou wilt, if it harm none (except your own dumb a$$, possibly).  ;)

I fast enough, I'd buy a bigger one, too, rather than to start doing mods out the yang.  ;)
This is either a Wiccan quote or part of a quote by the infamous satanist named Alester Crowley.  Look it up.

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2010, 02:49:31 AM »
the switch can be unbolted and tied up to the frame, once it is unbolted there is a small plate on the switch which is turned by the side stand when it is bolted up and rotates the switching mechanism....  with the engine switched to the start position ie all the warning lights come on  push on this plate to rotate the switch until the fuel pump can be heard to run ...in this position the scoot can start while the switch is tied up ...initally the red "stand down " light may be on you need to turn the swith using  the little plate until  the light goes out ...if the engine wont fire you have turned it to the Stand Down position and it wont start  even though the light may or may not be on ..you need to back it off a bit untill the pump whirrs then it will start and the light will be out as well...I find that the switch while tied up has a tendency to turn slowly to the  "red light on "position due to movement between the little plate and the plastic tie I used to attach it to the frame...I intend to put a small blob of silastic on the switch to prevent this...the action of pushing the plate and turning the switch around is fairly stiff so if you expect it to just whizz around... it doesnt

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 02:52:06 AM »
more on this...the scoot does not try to run away while idling with the stand down and the switch disconnected. If you leave it to idlel for a lengthy period the electric cooling fan will cut in...no different to being in sloooow traffic

art

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 03:00:42 AM »
 Nothing personal but the side stand is nothing but dead weight and a hazard  ;D  ;D  ;) It can't be trusted and you don't want to corner into it.
  Just use the center stand. REALY!!!  :-*
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 11:34:22 PM »
Urbestfriend did his a couple of weeks ago.  The access,  although not easy is thru the cover
on the hump where you have access to the gas tank.  The previous explanation on the wire colors is
accurate.  I put a off-on switch (You know..with the plastic cover that turns it off / used for racing /
$8.00 at Pep Boys ) on the Left Dash and ran the wires thru that switch.   I had a small 4 terminal block
and cut the wires connecting them back into each side of the block.  You will likely have to cut some
of the rubber cover loom back too to get enough wire exposed to work with.

This Bike is really heavy and you're right,  it's not easy to pick up,  let alone  just roll it around.

I added the switch in case of a causual stop.  I can leave the bike running to keep my lights on.
Unless your idle is too high or your off-spring mess around on it,  It's likely not going anywhere.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2010, 01:20:35 AM »
..more mods to th' x500!!

;D

..i removed my kickstand because it kept rubbing th' road on left-hand turns...

..very annoying...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2010, 08:14:43 AM »
Nothing personal but the side stand is nothing but dead weight and a hazard  ;D  ;D  ;) It can't be trusted and you don't want to corner into it.
  Just use the center stand. REALY!!!  :-*

It can be useful to have a side stand.
On older bikes, central stand tends to crack and very often you have to weld it back.
It happened to me on one of my 50 cc scoots after just 3 years.
It is useful to have side stand in that situation.

Furthermore, it can have some other useful applications.
For example, sometimes the center stand can get in the way when you are doing something on the bike and center stand can help in that.
Side stand can be useful when you are washing the scoot. I use automatic coin type washer, and after washing I put it on the side stand that enables the water to drain away more easily.
Very, very rarely, you have to park your bike somewhere where there is no solid ground under the center stand, but there is on the side stand.

I use center stand all the time and side stand in very rare cases, but think it is useful to have it.

p.s. A number of new motorcycles have ONLY side stand, not center stand at all!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 08:17:57 AM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Kymco500

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2010, 02:14:55 AM »
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:00:57 AM by Kymco500 »

Scoota

• View Profile
Re: Side Stand safety switch disconnect
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 12:12:31 AM »
There is no need to remove the sensor or cut anything to bypass the safety switch.
There is a bypass already on the bike!

It's located in the "Spark Plug Access Panel", resting ontop the fuel tank.
Just open that up, reach in, and unplug the current connector, and plug in the other one that's laying there.
This way you will still get the "sidestand down" light on the dash, but won't prevent you from turning the bike on.
Just make sure you use the hand brake anytime you are going to start it this way or that you are on and holding onto the brake.
I engage the handbrake when I park anyway so no danger of it getting away from me.

Just remember to kick the stand up!

-Sergio

I did as Sergio mentioned above on my '09 500i and it works fine, but I don't get any sidestand light when the bike is running either with the stand up or down.  Doesn't matter to me and now I can let the bike warm up a bit while putting my helmet on b4 my ride or when I get home and open the garage door I can let it idle and not have to turn it off and re-start to drive it in!

Below is a picture showing the connections.  The one by my finger is the original connector that I disconnected and plugged in the other one that has the 2 green wires.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 02:10:05 PM »
Another option is to take the bike to a welder and have the centerstand lever for your foot lengthened to give you more leverage or have the stands legs shortened so it doesn't have to go up so high.  The poor mans fix would be to put a piece of scrap wood or a piece of rubber mat down where you park.  Roll to where the rear wheel is on it but the centerstand won't be.  If you find the thickness you like then you'll know how much to shorten the centerstand if you decide to do it.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2012, 11:42:46 PM »
On my Yager, you can bypass the kickstand switch by placing a spare fuse in the open fuse holder on the left end of the fuse box.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

CaMoTe

• View Profile
Re: Side Stand safety switch disconnect
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2012, 04:50:58 PM »

I did as Sergio mentioned above on my '09 500i and it works fine, but I don't get any sidestand light when the bike is running either with the stand up or down.  Doesn't matter to me and now I can let the bike warm up a bit while putting my helmet on b4 my ride or when I get home and open the garage door I can let it idle and not have to turn it off and re-start to drive it in!

Below is a picture showing the connections.  The one by my finger is the original connector that I disconnected and plugged in the other one that has the 2 green wires.

i tried to find the connections mentioned by sogni x, but can't seem to find any spare connectors just laying around...  what i found when i opened the access panel are four pairs of wires on four connectors.. can't find any extra wire just laying there...  do they have it in all models?

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2012, 08:44:54 PM »
Scoota, what exact year bike is that picture from. There may be a differance between the carbed and fuel injected bikes? :-*

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2012, 09:59:47 PM »
Mary, that looks same same as on my '09 injected model, I switched the plugs and disabled the side stand kill switch. I haven't looked in the '06 carbed model, but I bet it's the same.

I like being able to get past gates and doors without shutting the scoot off, and warming at idle while I'm astride, but leaving it unattended is just bad form, so if it ghosts away on me sometime, it'll be my own damn fault.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()