Author Topic: Side Stand safety switch  (Read 20912 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Side Stand safety switch
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 09:37:45 PM »
Hey man I know where that is. That gaurd can be EASILY repaired w/ epoxy putty, and a little paint. Matching the body color might be nice!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 11:25:15 PM »
As long as oil level is ok, I cannot think of a problem.  I've ridden all kind of bikes for years and never heard of an issue with them running while on the side stand.  My son's sport bike does not even have a center stand, nor does the VTX I used to have.  The xciting does not lean very far on the side stand anyway.  That engine should run in most any position as long as the carb works and it can pick up oil in the sump.

I have seen in this thread, and other places, that the back wheel will turn until the scoot warms up. I assume there is something warming in the clutch. So, if that back wheel can't turn during the warm up, it won't hurt th clutch or other stuff?

.. and yes, I'm probably paranoid, but it is a nice Red and Black scoot that fits me rather well, and I don't want to blow it up :-)
Rick

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 11:34:57 PM »
The only reason the back wheel sometimes turns during warm up is due to the choke being on.  It increases the engine rpm and can be enough to spin the clutch fast enough to engage.  I always warm up my scoot on the side stand and it has never tried to take off on me.  The rear wheel doesn't have enough drive force behind it to actually move the weight of the scoot.  Or rather it doesn't spin the clutch fast enough to really grab, it just light rubs so the wheel will spin if there is no resistance, but not with any weight on it.  I would think for the bike to take off on you would mean you need to do some serious adjustments to your carb!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 01:28:12 AM »
No harm at all. The clutch is centrifugal, and dry.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 02:24:20 PM »
Shaka, did you bypass the side stand switch?  Now that we are discussing it, I am considering it as well.  Sometimes it is an annoyance when I forget something and want to get back off and on to have to stop and restart the scoot.  I know it only takes a second but it still annoys me.  Just have to remember to not absentmindedly twitch the throttle...   ;D
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

iolite

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 04:39:55 PM »
Hey guys. Easy. remove the side panel and remove the switch by removing the 10mm nut, it only holds the switch in position. You can then cable tie the swith to the frame and fit it back any time. just turn the switch so that the motor starts. U can even use the switch as a hide away anti theft switch by turning it on by hand

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 04:56:07 PM »
Hey guys. Easy. remove the side panel and remove the switch by removing the 10mm nut, it only holds the switch in position. You can then cable tie the swith to the frame and fit it back any time. just turn the switch so that the motor starts. U can even use the switch as a hide away anti theft switch by turning it on by hand

That's not a bad idea!  No, I didn't by-pass my switch, my ZX50 doesn't have any safety switches on the stands.  I sure would remove them if it did though! ;) That would be annoying!

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 09:05:21 PM »
In defense of the safety switch, and in the interest of a funny story, I want to offer the following:

Back when I was younger, searching for a woman to ride on the back of my Harley, I finally found one. Nice looking, good smile and sense of humor, long hair, sweet mouth, "Hop on," I said. And away we went. I was feeeeeeeling gooooood.

Stopped for gas, forgot to raise the side stand, and when I leaned to maneuver a curve the side stand kept the bike upright and over the curb I went. Both of us sprawled on the grass. Nothing hurt but my pride.

Oh yeah, she didn't want to ride with me again. It took several beers and some flowers to overcome.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 03:49:19 PM by bongoman »
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 10:01:03 PM »
Did she marry you?  I leave out ALL the time w/ the side stand down. I have to stand in a weird sort of way to kick start, and hold the choke on. If I don't fall over on my own it is a victory in itself. So the kickstand is not in my thoughts at all. I think iolite has the cure for the ? tho! In reflection I dont think I have ever seen a runaway scoot on the news. However I hear there is a ground hog eating its way thru Crow-atia. Now that has me concerned!

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 11:56:04 PM »
Even though I am not a religious son-of-a-b*tch, I live by the simple Biblical maxim: Do what thou wilt, if it harm none (except your own dumb a$$, possibly).  ;)

I can say I have personally witnessed a scooter dump at least a half-dozen times where someone started the bike on its side stand, and left it running, unattended.

I've considered removing the kickstand on my P250, as I never use it. Never. For one thang, it seems to me to be at least an inch too short, if not 1.5". While sitting on the kick, a good, stiff breeze could blow it over, I have no doubt. Also, I think the bike looks cooler when parked up on its center stand -- let alone knowing that it's definitely more secure that-a-ways.

Were it me, and my bike were too heavy for me to put on its center stand, I would get a smaller bike.

Then again, you know what a stick-in-the-mud I am -- if the bike's not fast enough, I'd buy a bigger one, too, rather than to start doing mods out the yang.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:58:22 PM by jprestonian »

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 03:57:12 AM »
Was gonna bring up that point about riding off with the sidestand down too! It will either dump you on your right side at the first left turn you try to make or at the very least give you a real good scare.  Just pray it doesn't happen in traffic!

Here's a couple more that we should remember and newbies note: Riding across a slight bump or elevation with sidestand down can cause the same thing.  Also, if you happen to want to roll your scooter backward, say, out of the garage or wherever it's kept, if there's a slight bump or rise there --same thing.  Another instance is when unloading bike from a truck or trailer . . . roll it back . . . everything's fine till you start down the ramp . . . sidestand down will dump it right on whoever's standing on the right side. 

Last one:  If the scooter is on center stand and, for whatever reason, the sidestand is down too -- like maybe you've been fooling around with it or working on it. . . then, when rocking it OFF the centerstand, the sidestand hits ground with force and over you go.  Of course that safety switch isn't gonna save you in either of those cases unless you tried to start the motor. 

Yep, I learned all these the hard way.  :)  Thank goodness I learned em before graduating to bigger heaver machines! 

I put the 500 on the center stand yesterday for the first time just to see what it was like.  She's somewhat of a heffer alright. But no more difficult than any other large bike as I recall. Yeah there's definately a technique to doing it.  With small bikes n scooters you simply drop the center stand and pull the machine up onto it.  For the heavier ones you've got to push down on the foot pedal/lever of the stand with a lot of controlled grunt while also lifting with right hand on the grab bar. It's a full body extension which involves your back as much or more than the arms or leg.   Only takes a few times practice to get it though. Put your BACK into it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 04:14:01 AM »
Hoolander2, you hit every button w/ me. I am that guy! I just wish I had enough $'s to wear a new pair of socks EVERY DAY! My scoot is 1-1/2" too tall for the kick stand. I put a piece of pipe over the stub (minuses the foot) Looks cool from my house!

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 10:16:36 PM »
Only on a soft surface I use the side stand (and a plate under the side stand like this:
http://www.bestereste24.de/index.php?topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=10026466
), because the center stand hasn't much contact area.

Don't try to disable the safety switch in Europe! Your bike will continue the travel on a tow car and you with your own feet (or train).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 10:19:17 PM by ts1 »

Dr. Scooter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 06:59:05 AM »
Going on day 5 with the switch off I use my park brake every time I park SO MUCH NICER
2007 Kymco Xciting 500

Modding a scooter is a beatiful thing!

Sogni X

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 03:39:06 PM »
There is no need to remove the sensor or cut anything to bypass the safety switch.
There is a bypass already on the bike!

It's located in the "Spark Plug Access Panel", resting ontop the fuel tank.
Just open that up, reach in, and unplug the current connector, and plug in the other one that's laying there.
This way you will still get the "sidestand down" light on the dash, but won't prevent you from turning the bike on.
Just make sure you use the hand brake anytime you are going to start it this way or that you are on and holding onto the brake.
I engage the handbrake when I park anyway so no danger of it getting away from me.

Just remember to kick the stand up!

-Sergio
2007 Kymco Xciting 500: 30,000+ Miles and counting.
2007 Kymco Xciting 250: blown engine @ ~3,000 miles. Bought it back as parts bike for 500. May try to resurrect.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()