Author Topic: Side Stand safety switch  (Read 20979 times)

Dr. Scooter

• View Profile
Side Stand safety switch
« on: February 13, 2010, 04:09:38 PM »
Has anyone wired around this yet. I have a problem knee and it is hard to put it up on the center stand to start it and let it warm up so i wanted to use the side stand if i can wire around it
2007 Kymco Xciting 500

Modding a scooter is a beatiful thing!

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Side Stand safety switch
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 04:48:34 PM »
I didn't know those had a safety switch on the center stand!  I don't have your model, so I can't speak from experience, but I'm sure you can just ground the switch to bypass it.  If you have a voltmeter it should be relatively easy to figure out. 

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 04:54:24 PM »
I didn't know those had a safety switch on the center stand!  I don't have your model, so I can't speak from experience, but I'm sure you can just ground the switch to bypass it.  If you have a voltmeter it should be relatively easy to figure out. 

The safety switch on the 500 is on the side stand. If you have it down, the scoot won't start. The starter turns the motor, but all you'd get is a dead battery eventually. If you are idling and put the side stand down, the engine is killed.

I am developing a bad knee. It won't be too long before putting a bigger scoot on the center stand is going to be a pain for me (pun intended). It would be nice to be able to warm the bike up while on the side stand.
Rick

Dr. Scooter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 05:09:59 PM »
Hey Rick I will do some research and see what it takes to get to it and wire it to where it can be bypassed
2007 Kymco Xciting 500

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »
Well, there's a good reason for that switch. It's not a good idea to let the bike run on its kickstand, since the rear wheel is turning until the bike warms up. If the rear wheel touches the ground (impossible on the center stand, unless the rear is overloaded), your bike takes its own ride, brief as it is... and it doesn't end pretty.

Dr. Scooter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 06:37:39 PM »
Hince the parking break. I know there are pros and cons to doing this but what about the riders who cant get it on the center stand I did some testing earlier and the parking break on my bike holds pretty darn good
2007 Kymco Xciting 500

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 10:27:22 PM »
Just locate the switch, and either butt connect the wires together or cut one off. I would try cutting one wire off first because if they must continue a circuit they will both have to be cut anyway. Taa Daa!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Dr. Scooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 02:34:20 AM »
I plan on cutting the both and using bullet connectors
2007 Kymco Xciting 500

jrd4849

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 03:56:23 PM »
The side stand switch has three wires going to it. One is a common ground which looks like it is green. A second wire (Y/G) goes to the ignition module and it looks like a ground is applied to the module when the stand is in the up condition. A third wire (Y/B) goes to the instrument cluster side stand LED. The ground is removed from the ignition module and applied to the third wire to light the LED in the stand down position. So it looks like you need to apply the ground to the ignition module to simulate a 'stand up' condition. At least that's the way it looks from the wiring diagram. I would double check the switch operation just to make sure.
Jim. 2009 Xciting500Ri

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 04:31:28 AM »
If there is no error in the wiring diagram jrd is correct.  Couple of connectors should solve your problem.  But don't forget that parking brake.  I know the side stand switch is a pain sometimes, like when I got to get off to raise the garage door and have to restart...  I try to remember the remote, but sometimes forget an leave it in the car.  I have thought about doing the same, but so far I have put up with it for safety. 
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

Dr. Scooter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 04:39:26 AM »
I just dont want to always fight it on the center stand when I get home from work when I am tired or the next morning. On another note I am looking for a muffler cover if anyone knows of one the help is appreciated greatly
2007 Kymco Xciting 500

rick71

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 03:09:40 PM »
Does anyone know if there is possibility of harming anything by warming the scoot on the side stand, other than the risk of unscheduled take off? Wouldn't be the same thing as warming it while you sit on the bike?
Rick

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 03:44:56 PM »
As long as oil level is ok, I cannot think of a problem.  I've ridden all kind of bikes for years and never heard of an issue with them running while on the side stand.  My son's sport bike does not even have a center stand, nor does the VTX I used to have.  The xciting does not lean very far on the side stand anyway.  That engine should run in most any position as long as the carb works and it can pick up oil in the sump.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 06:08:11 PM »
Do you mean the muffler guard?  If so, I know where there is one with a slight crack.  Should be usable, though.  When I got my '07 Xciting 500 a week ago, I noticed the muffler guard was cracked so the dealer took one off a new 500 and installed it on mine before delivery.  If they've still got the old one maybe you could get it from them.  You'll need the 4 bolts which hold it too.  Can always get those from hardware store if necessary.

The crack is noticible but they had been riding the scooter with that guard. Will try to post a pic of it on the scooter. http://allaboutscooters.com/contact.html   This link is to their contact page where you can email or call them. 
[/URL][/img]

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 06:52:55 PM »
trying to post a link to picture of that guard

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()