Author Topic: Fuel tank/gauge  (Read 965 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Fuel tank/gauge
« on: February 27, 2016, 02:53:56 PM »
Fuel gauge has 5 segments. Mine was showing two segments when I poured in 5 gallons. The tank topped up before all 5 went in leaving about a half gallon. This confirms that each segment is about 1.7 gallons at least near the bottom.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Fuel tank/gauge
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 10:20:12 PM »
   I am going to do that as well when my tank gets low. I may even try siphoning out the remainder then add 2 gallons at a time and see how the gage reads.  I did that on my boat, it has a 24 gallon tank so I cleaned the tank out and added 5 gallons at a time and checked the gage.....I got lucky as each quarter mark on the gage measured 5 gallons with 4 gallons left when gage shows empty. Not sure how good the gages are in these machines but that is the only way to check the gage that I know of.  If anyone else has checked there fuel gage please chime in here so we can compare and see how accurate these are.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 11:47:12 PM »
  OK did the tank/gage test this afternoon. The 450i book claims it has an 8+gallon tank. Siphoned out the last almost a gallon as best I could so I believe the tank was as empty as I could make it. As Crossbolt stated there are 5 bars on the fuel gage and when I was done siphoning no bars were showing and the little gas pump symbol was flashing. So I added 2 gallons of fuel and now the gage shows 2 bars, then added 2 more gallons and gage showed 3 bars, added 2 more gallons and all 5 bars were shown. Proceeded to add the last two gallons and it took all but mabey 6-8 oz at best. The manual states to not fill the neck of the tank so I quite pouring when it sounded like it was coming up the neck. So.....after it uses the first 2 gallons the gage should start to drop, at 2 bars I should have a little over 2 gallons of gas left in tank, at one bar I think it would be safe to say its time to add more fuel, I understand you do not want to run a fuel injection system dry.  Hope this helps someone.....

monmendoza

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 05:02:41 PM »
I just bought a Kymco 450i. Mine does not show any fuel gauge during normal operation.
It only shows the fuel gauge when you first turn on the switch then the fuel gauge sumbol
disappear. Do I have to press something to make it appear? thank you very much. :)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »
Most of the time, I drive mine to a gas station to fill it up, I let the pump shut off automatically just like any other vehicle
last Sunday afternoon, I put in 6.2 gallons after running on "empty" for at least 30 miles (included about 29 miles of street use and 2 days of pulling logs in 4wd)

I have put in as much as 7.2 gallons in in the past
RandyO
IBA#9560

kickstart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 02:25:08 PM »
Sounds like it has a good reserve, not a bad thing. :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()