Author Topic: Let's brainstorm the 500's cold start issue  (Read 11821 times)

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: Let's brainstorm the 500's cold start issue
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2016, 07:32:33 PM »
34F this morning and I went to the garage and it fired right up. No extra turns of the key for the fuel pump cycling. So my theory on the fuel and sitting for a few days is holding true at this point. I need to start a logbook.
Between being sick and the weather, I had not started the Xciting 500 for about 10 days and there were some really cold overnights in there (30'sF and windy). Checked the battery and it was sitting at 13.25v so that was good. Put the key in and Mike the Tiger fired right up. I don't know what to think except I'm feeling a little more confident each time as it seems to have become more reliable at starts. Confidence is high for the riding season. We'll see how it goes this fall. Mr Paul, I didn't try any blocking of the air filter but I will keep it in mind. Thanks everyone for your sympathy and ideas.
Wayne

mrjlube

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2016, 02:14:44 AM »
Hi guys,id like to chime in. I have an 09 xciting i bought new in 2010. If it is under 50 degrees,it just wont start. It drives me nuts. Id like to ask if u would give me the part number and model of the battery u put in. Sounds like it helped. Mine wont do anything under 50. Just crank crank crank pop and repeat.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 10:22:08 AM »
Oh boy.......
Hope we can help.
Great scooter when it starts.
Help is on the way.....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2016, 04:56:18 AM »
Hi guys,id like to chime in. I have an 09 xciting i bought new in 2010. If it is under 50 degrees,it just wont start. It drives me nuts. Id like to ask if u would give me the part number and model of the battery u put in. Sounds like it helped. Mine wont do anything under 50. Just crank crank crank pop and repeat.
Got my lithium battery from http://shoraipower.com. They have a battery lookup and for my Xciting500 it took me to the LFX21A6-BS12. I am not convinced though for the price that a Lithium battery is the right choice. I need a full year under my belt before I make that decision. For the record, it has been starting fine the last few weeks.
Wayne

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2016, 08:47:20 AM »
My 500 is starting well, since the stator was replaced. I also have a high end battery with more CCA from Motobatt.
It is getting colder and I am not trickle charging anymore since the stator was replaced, yet that first cold start is no longer an issue, and does not look like it is coming back.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2016, 01:27:28 PM »
OK, you 500 guys are now the experts on this problem! Boil it down to what you think is the main issue(s) with this problem.

Karl

PS:I think I get it -- just want to hear what you think.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2016, 07:08:29 PM »
I came across this German kymco forum, and Google translate helped immensely, but not enough, but I got the gist of it.
This guy fitted  a dc/DC converter to give more voltage to the ecu, during the cold starts.
He claimed that while using the device cold starting even at 0 degrees c was no problem. As soon as he disabled the unit, then starting issues returned.

So, the conclusion is that the ecu does not get enough power when cold cranking.

He even fitted  an led so he would know if he left it on by mistake.
He later made some change where it would switch automatically back to normal voltage (a bypass if you will).

I have been pricing such converters and it is feasible cost wise.
I just don't know if i must get a 12 to 13.5 v converter,  or a 12 to 1.5 - 2.5 volt converter.
You see,  I don't know what will happen by adding this extra power to the ecu(what changes, volts or amps or both? ) , or even how to add it,  as the guy did not supply pictures,even though he was asked .

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:12:03 PM by xsel777 »

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2016, 04:26:19 PM »
zzip.de

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2016, 04:42:38 PM »
It still seems elusive to me. I got a new Lithium Iron battery. Somebody had posted about turning the key multiple times before cranking over the engine. Right now beings it's warmed up, I haven't had any issues but earlier in the year I had a few. My solution is turn the key and let the fuel pump run until it stops. Try and start. If it does great. If it doesn't, turn off and on 3-4 more times and then try to start. This has worked so far. I fully expect the issue to come back in the fall. My battery is holding the correct charge so I don't believe it is the stator.
Wayne

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2016, 05:11:21 PM »
Here's a direct link, run it through Google Translate.

http://zzip.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13338&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50&sid=f111586bee8fd7a37f3c80593f66892a

Quote from: Pemi
Hello community,
  the starting problems have me so far also massively annoyed: Meanwhile, I have installed the third battery and it did not help at temperatures around 2 to 4 ° C - or only conditionally: Fresh from the charger - Roller of jumps, a day later: starter rotates, but no ignition.  My dealer was the problem not known, according to the 5000 customer service last fall he jumped on properly, the scooter was also in the hall.  The EXIDE battery with 14 Ah I verbaut- no real effect.

After I have no garage for the scooter and want to go even below just above zero degrees in the morning to work, I have tried something: After the ECU relay I have switched voltage by means of a DC / DC converter to 13.8 V constant increases, almost no matter how the battery voltage sags - and lo and behold, last Friday we had just above zero: Roller has started - the weekend he was - and this morning, measured temperature 0.9 ° C - Roller has started.  Of course this is an intrusion into the vehicle electronics, but it has worked and I'm pretty sure it would have without the intervention is not working.  Will it continue testing

As promised, I report on my retrofitting: Every day, the temperatures were when the bike below 5 ° C: I could start without problems.  Before retrofitting this would only be successful if I would support the battery during the starting operation with an external power supply.  The only experimentally relocated wiring I have now secured and installed the Converter into the small storage compartment under the handlebar.  As ground line for Converter I have the two ground lines of hitherto freely terminating turn signal connectors used.  What these lines were intended, I do not know, maybe there are versions with two indicators on the front of each side.

Now I am happy every morning on riding, which was previously always associated with uncertainty.  The cause of the startup problems described versatile I suspect that the assessment of the ignition electronics borderline low in occurring during startup in cold tension - and is not changeable.  The success of the measure carried out these excursions for.

As I have now covered against 06:45 the scooter, the dew had frozen on the tarpaulin - the scooter is indeed outdoors at night and is only covered with a tarpaulin: And - the first attempt to start after the last drive on the previous Friday: The Roller jumps to problems.

The DC / DC converter is warm after about 5 km by road - in the small storage compartment it is not cooled by the wind.  So I will install for all cases a switch, with which I can switch between voltage boost converter means and normal operation.  When switched off, the series quasi state is restored.  After the converter is powered by the ECU relay with voltage, it is only active when the ignition is turned on, it consumes the ignition switched off and thus no quiescent current.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 05:17:37 PM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2016, 11:57:54 PM »
late to this thread, but ...

lithium batteries do not like cold weather, they need to be warmed up before they put out full power,  an AGM battery is a better choice for cold weather starting
RandyO
IBA#9560

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2016, 05:54:43 PM »
YEA to above post! Plus cost.............................Check out this link and the reviews on batts fitting my bike. Most batts where reviews are similar are on yausa mentioned sites or other quality batt sites. $50 bucks more.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2016, 11:57:00 PM »
Here's a direct link, run it through Google Translate.

http://zzip.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13338&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50&sid=f111586bee8fd7a37f3c80593f66892a

I don't have a 500. But this thread is interesting nonetheless. And this translation is actually BETTER than some officially translated materials such as repair manuals, and assembly instructions. 😂😂
2009 Xciting 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2016, 12:31:10 AM »
I don't have a 500. But this thread is interesting nonetheless. And this translation is actually BETTER than some officially translated materials such as repair manuals, and assembly instructions. 😂😂

I am also quite interested as the MyRoad seems to take longer to start cold than I think it should.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

clbolt

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2019, 02:47:48 AM »
Add my 2009 XC500Ri to the list of scooters that won't start when it's cold. For now, my solution is to warm the engine compartment with a blow dryer inserted from the back right of the scooter. After a couple of minutes, it starts right up.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()