Author Topic: Kymco Yager 200i First Modifications  (Read 4298 times)

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
Kymco Yager 200i First Modifications
« on: February 02, 2016, 08:24:44 PM »
My girlfriend got a 2012 Yager 200i with a little less than 9,000 miles on it. I decided it was too slow, so I got a lot of Malossi parts from scooterpartsco.com. We installed a Malossi Variator, Malossi kevlar belt, 13.5 gr rollers, Malossi brake pads front and rear, and Malossi rear shocks. I also changed the oil and filter, and put on a new Heidenau tire. The difference in acceleration is the first thing I noticed. The bike gets up and scoots.
There was a bit of clutch judder when we bought it, and I've tried to get rid of it, but when I opened the case, the bell was tinted blue. So it's time to find a new one. I found a Polini one that is discontinued, and a Polini clutch as well, and the Dr. Pulley set of clutch and bell. I would prefer Polini, but haven't found anyone that has both pieces and a reasonable price. There's also some options on ebay out of Taiwan, but that's the next project. I wish she would let me put a pipe on it, but she likes the quiet sound of the stock exhaust. We've got a FACO windshield on order. Here's a photo of the Malossi shocks installed on the bike.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:26:27 PM by KymcoRockr »
Been riding for a very long time.
AK550
Yager 200

Yellow Jacket

• View Profile
Re: Kymco Yager 200i First Modifications
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 08:48:20 PM »
Sure would like to see some pre/post mod performance numbers on this.
Scooter owned in the past, Honda Aero 125, '87 Elite 150 (2), '87 & '90 250 Elite, Yamaha 200, (2), 400 Majesty, Aprilia  Atlantic 500, Piaggio BV250,SYM HD200,  Kymco Yager GT200
Current ride, Kymco GTi 300

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 08:56:36 PM »
I always thought the Yager did very well when I had mine. It was quiet and I like that since I am an old guy. Put 18000 miles on the Yager before my wife talked me into trading for a Downtown 300i. Happy with it, too. Powerful and quiet. Loud pipes DON'T save lives. They just pi$$ people off.

Yager200i is the guru here for Yager mods and BettinANDlosing is sharp on Yager systems. Those are not the only two, by the way.....

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 08:38:00 PM »
Your clutch judder can be gotten rid of by using some rheopectic grease on the clutch shoes and inside of the clutch bell. I found some really thick stuff that's like hot mozzarella cheese when you apply it. As the clutch pads rise to engage the clutch bell, they first contact the rheopectic grease. The shearing force causes the rheopectic grease to thicken, thus you get a very small amount of slip and a solid lockup

Newgate Simms Limited
Unit 6, Broughton Mills Road,
Bretton, Chester CH4 0BY
Nye Lubricants Extra Heavy PG­44A, 50gram jar NL1182 22.50 BP

That small jar should last you the life of the bike. One thing I like is that since there's no more frictional contact between clutch shoes and clutch bell, instead using shear-thickening of the rheopectic grease to transfer the torque, the clutch shoes shouldn't wear much.

I've got my Dr. Pulley HiT clutch engaging at 2500 engine RPM now, and it's incredibly nice for low speed riding... the old clutch used to engage around 5000 RPM, and launch was a bit hectic, as was controlling low-speed riding, especially weaving in and out of stopped traffic. Now I just have to crack the throttle the tiniest bit and the clutch engages. I can chug up the steepest of hills at 3000 RPM without problem.

It's still got a tiny bit of clutch judder, but not nearly what it was with the old clutch setup. The judder now is due to that grease being too thick, I think. I could have gone with the next-thinner stuff for a slightly less-aggressive lockup.

Yellow Jacket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 08:59:46 PM »
That looks like a Canadian Address. How about a web link? Thanks
Scooter owned in the past, Honda Aero 125, '87 Elite 150 (2), '87 & '90 250 Elite, Yamaha 200, (2), 400 Majesty, Aprilia  Atlantic 500, Piaggio BV250,SYM HD200,  Kymco Yager GT200
Current ride, Kymco GTi 300

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 09:38:52 PM »
US distributor for Newgate-Simms is TAI Lubricants of Delaware. [url=http://www.lubekits.com

Karl
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:41:01 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
You might want to think about getting the next-thinner stuff than what I ordered... I was riding this morning, the clutch was cold, and I cranked the go-stick from a dead stop. The clutch immediately engaged solid as that thick grease was thicker than normal due to the cold, and it killed the engine. So the engagement's a bit "harsh" with the thickness of grease I'm using. You have to feather the throttle on as it engages until that grease warms up a bit.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 05:07:07 PM by Yager200i »

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 08:15:32 PM »
I am interested to hear what happens to the clutch pads and their glue from extended submersion in this grease.
But I definately like the idea, as my 500 shudders like it has the cold shivers on every pull away, sometimes that the screen judders too.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 09:15:01 PM »
We installed the new Malossi clutch and a CIF bell, and a Malossi yellow spring. The clutch is a lot more solid at takeoff than stock, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg like the Dr. Pulley. It's definitely an improvement, and we got the first one in the US. The Malossi variator has 13 gr. weights, and the bike is still quick, but it looks like it lost a few mph off the top. With the 13gr. rollers we took a 500 mile round trip, and the highest we saw on gps was 78mph, but the rev limiter usually engaged in the low 70s. 
We're trying Dr. Pulley 15gr. sliders in the Malossi Variator, in order to get the belt higher without hitting the limiter, and it seems to be working, but will probably replace the Dr. Pulley sliders with 15.5 or 16 gr rollers at some point, just so the variator doesn't fail.
AK550
Yager 200

eakins

• Butler Motorcycle Maps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 06:27:59 PM »
We installed the new Malossi clutch and a CIF bell, and a Malossi yellow spring. The clutch is a lot more solid at takeoff than stock, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg like the Dr. Pulley. It's definitely an improvement, and we got the first one in the US. The Malossi variator has 13 gr. weights, and the bike is still quick, but it looks like it lost a few mph off the top. With the 13gr. rollers we took a 500 mile round trip, and the highest we saw on gps was 78mph, but the rev limiter usually engaged in the low 70s. 
We're trying Dr. Pulley 15gr. sliders in the Malossi Variator, in order to get the belt higher without hitting the limiter, and it seems to be working, but will probably replace the Dr. Pulley sliders with 15.5 or 16 gr rollers at some point, just so the variator doesn't fail.

Is that CIF bell needed or will the stock bell work just fine with the Malossi clutch?
Does Malossi make a bell too? Why not use theirs?
This says 130mm bell
https://scooterpartsco.com/malossi/malossi-master-part-list/malossi-maxi-fly-clutch-for-kymco-yager-200?zenid=tqgbedr13r42o5fh34kc48l4b0
Where to but the CIF?

I'd like some more solid take off from stop in town.
It works as is, I just pin it & go and the rpms jump fast to 7k, but I know upgraded clutches do work well.

Why do DP sliders cause a Malossi variator to fail vs rollers.
I guess sliders are ok in a oem variator???
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 06:38:40 PM by eakins »

eakins

• Butler Motorcycle Maps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 06:41:13 PM »
Tell me about that Malossi shock please.
I'm interested in better suspension in the rear and was looking at the cheaper YSS options.
Yours looks different than the pics.
https://scooterpartsco.com/kymco-parts/kymco-yager-parts/malossi-rear-shocks-for-kymco-yager-150-and-200?zenid=tqgbedr13r42o5fh34kc48l4b0

Did you play with oil weight & height at all in the forks.
I know using quality synthetic fork oils helps a ton in bikes vrs what oem put in there plus oil wears out.
Do we know what the factory oil weight is?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 06:45:52 PM by eakins »

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 09:24:16 PM »
Is that CIF bell needed or will the stock bell work just fine with the Malossi clutch?
Does Malossi make a bell too? Why not use theirs?
This says 130mm bell
https://scooterpartsco.com/malossi/malossi-master-part-list/malossi-maxi-fly-clutch-for-kymco-yager-200?zenid=tqgbedr13r42o5fh34kc48l4b0
Where to but the CIF?

I'd like some more solid take off from stop in town.
It works as is, I just pin it & go and the rpms jump fast to 7k, but I know upgraded clutches do work well.

Why do DP sliders cause a Malossi variator to fail vs rollers.
I guess sliders are ok in a oem variator???
DP Sliders cause a lot of variators to fail, especially OEM ones. Most people just don't ride enough for it to happen. They turn over and the variator goes south in a hurry.  CIF is an aftermarket parts supplier in Italy. Malossi doesn't make a bell. Polini did, but they stopped. The clutch in the Yager is an oddball that doesn't fit a lot of bikes, especially not a lot of bikes that people are doing performance work with, so there's not much incentive to make a lot of aftermarket parts for that engine.

The Malossi shocks for the Yager have reservoirs. I don't know why the photo isn't the same.
AK550
Yager 200

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()