Author Topic: Cold Weather Starting  (Read 3152 times)

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
Cold Weather Starting
« on: January 27, 2016, 12:41:19 PM »
Recently we have had a cold snap.  Temperatures that ranged anywhere from 0 C to about 15 C (32 to 59 F) and my bike would sputter and cough but not turn over at well.   

This went on for about a week, then yesterday we got into the high teens and 20's (I live in Florida, USA) and she finally turned over.  I was off and running and experienced no issues at all on the bike.

Does anyone else have this issue?   The battery is less than a year old, the tank was about 1/2 full and she does need an oil change but I only have about 4800 KM on the oil. 

Does anyone else have these issues?   Would a battery tender solve them or do you think it's another issue?
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

pipster326

• View Profile
Re: Cold Weather Starting
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 09:00:22 AM »
I think it would. I live in North Jersey and it's been very cold , also had 27" of snow on Saturday. I keep a battery tender junior on my DT 300 and start it every other day. Starts right up every time. Some other members were commenting on cold weather starting on the xciting 500 , you should check out the feed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »
I've been having all kinds of cold starting issues. Enough so that I'm wondering if I purchased the wrong scooter. During the summer, it ran and started like a top. Once below 40F though it has been a real challenge. It feels like the starter isn't getting enough juice to turn it over fast enough. I went to a $200 Lithium battery, new spark plug, new air filter and that did not fix the issue. I left the met box open and it drained the battery and now it won't take a charge. I'm feeling like I just tossed out $200 by leaving the met box open. I want to do a idle reset but need to make a decision on my battery first. I'm finding that beings they aren't widely sold, local battery places don't want to give me any ideas on what to do with it. It's a Shorai and contacting support is my next move. This starting issue is really ruining my scooting experience.

On another note, once I get it started, it seems to have no problems starting again . . . . . until the next day.
Wayne

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 07:12:39 PM »
I feel your pain. Been there. I have a gel battery and it is on trickle charge every night.
People that keep their scooter indoors overnight usually have a much better time with that first time cold start.
If starter turns strongly, but it won't fire, it will be the battery most likely.
The efi models need a lot of electrical muscle to keep computer live and crank the engine, and fire the spark.
The other thing is the starter solenoid, or the start decompression cam might be worn.

Regarding the met box.
I suggest disconnecting the light and cutting the cable to the switch in the one seat catch to prevent future flat battery issues as you describe.

Let us know how you do.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:20:02 PM by xsel777 »
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 10:49:06 PM »
I've been having all kinds of cold starting issues. Enough so that I'm wondering if I purchased the wrong scooter. During the summer, it ran and started like a top. Once below 40F though it has been a real challenge. It feels like the starter isn't getting enough juice to turn it over fast enough. I went to a $200 Lithium battery, new spark plug, new air filter and that did not fix the issue. I left the met box open and it drained the battery and now it won't take a charge. I'm feeling like I just tossed out $200 by leaving the met box open. I want to do a idle reset but need to make a decision on my battery first. I'm finding that beings they aren't widely sold, local battery places don't want to give me any ideas on what to do with it. It's a Shorai and contacting support is my next move. This starting issue is really ruining my scooting experience.

On another note, once I get it started, it seems to have no problems starting again . . . . . until the next day.
Bless your heart Wayne....there were a couple of us concerned for you early on, when you became interested in that 500...only because it seems to be the one KYMCO scoot which owners too freq report starting issues.
I know how much you love your scooter hobby - and how very particular you are in keeping it in tip-top condition.
You also display a good head for sorting any mechanical issues - real or imagined (the latter - like myself :-) - shoot, you, like me,  just want and expect our machines to perform as advertised.

We think we know that KYMCO EFI'd scooters need a very healthy battery to start.
Did Kymco not give the 500 a starter with enough grunt to light a 500cc single pot on cold days?
Is the recharge system not up to the task.

I got nothing....

But to your $200 battery: is it providing significantly more CCA than the stock battery?
My NSS300 Forza came with a YTZ12S (YUASA) battery - CCA 210, 1.1 amp.
My Burgman 400 and 163cc Kymco came with the same  small YTZ9 YUASA - CCA 135, 0.9 amp.
I switched the Burg and the LIKE200i to the better YTZ12S YUASA.....because I ride distances in very cold weather, & both have EFI....and I like the reassurance of the more powerful battery. (VIVO told me a long time ago to put in the biggest battery that would fit. I did, they do.)

I did a little trimming of the hold-down cover to fit those batteries, but that was all that was needed - measured carefully and saw that they would fit. The YUASA.com site has the measurements of your stock battery....so you can find a better battery of the same size case & connecting types.
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/Yuasa_Specs_Apps_2015.pdf

Use full synthetic oil to make for easier cranking?
The injector on my LIKE was about $70 - but doubt it is something as simple as a clogged injector.
I bought a stick-on engine block heater (oil pan actually) pad that you plug in to an outlet yrs ago for my old VW Jetta sitting out in the cold. Famers use them too I think. Made starts at 0 degrees easier.

Darn....sure hope you can get it sorted....that big engined scoot is probably a blast to ride.
Good luck Wayne....hang in there!
Tom T.
Stig
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:02:22 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 06:33:13 PM »
Found a guy on youtube how posted video of the starting issue and his was brand new. Kymco finally replaced the engine and it worked. He promptly sold it and doesn't really know what the answer was.

On a positive note, I was honest about draining the battery to shorai and they emailed me back and will RMA me a replacement. Just gonna cost me shipping. Got to take care of that tonight. Once I get the new battery in, I want to do a idle reset. Also saw another youtube reply that said to turn on the key 4-5 times to let the fuel pump cycle, then try to start. So I have a couple places to start.

I almost feel like the heater thing may work cause once I do get it started, it will restart fine. Let it cool down for a day and we are back to hard starting.

Rest assured, I do not have the money for another scooter so this has to get fixed or I have a very large paper weight (with a monthly payment) in the garage.
Wayne

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 08:47:45 PM »
Great news about the free battery.
Getting a new engine! Wow, that must have been some fight with Kymco.

It was shocking for sure to find out how expensive the parts are for this scoot.
I am in the same boat ; It must just keep going.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 08:54:26 PM »
My understanding was that the dealer threw several parts at the thing and then just told KYMCO that they didn't know what else to do.
Wayne

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 05:41:46 AM »
I found that youtube video. That is my dealer! The only reason I use them is because they are close by and  available to work on it within a day or two. Anric is much further away and each time I spoke to them, there was  a no  compromise tone , which means expensive, and I try to stay away from that.. 😐

mrjlube

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 09:48:55 PM »
Ya,this is a known issue. I have been dealingwith this since 2009. Since brand new. Wont start under 45 degrees. I justaccept it and dont ride if its cold. This sucks. 2009 model with 6,000miles,new batteries,diff.types of oils. Nothing works. Very ddisappointed. Runs great all summer though. We should all write kymco or something.!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 02:43:16 AM »
What is the battery size in this bike?

Karl

PS: See Stig's post on this.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()