Author Topic: Help! Strange Noise Coming from the Variator - Xciting 250i  (Read 2238 times)

emreerdals

• View Profile
Help! Strange Noise Coming from the Variator - Xciting 250i
« on: December 22, 2015, 06:51:54 PM »
Hi folks. I own an Xciting 250i in Turkey and as here the Kymco services are very rare and bad, we Kymco users here look for solituons on our own.

I've just bought my scooter few weeks ago and faced with this strange noise problem coming from the variator - I am not sure if it is from the belt or the clutch or the clutch bell - and I need help of you experienced users. Please share your ideas as I need them because mechanics here cannot solve anything and I am alone to solve it.

Here I share a video about the problem:

Thanks in advance.

xsel777

• View Profile
Re: Help! Strange Noise Coming from the Variator - Xciting 250i
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 09:20:25 PM »
If that noise is coming out of the belt area, then that clattering can't be good.
You will have to open it up and test with the casing open.
Don't ride, just rev it while on the centre stand.
You will need an electric power ratchet to undo the variator and clutch nuts, if you need to look at those components.
Make very sure, when tightening up again, that you first hand tighten before using the power tool, or you could accidentally mess up the threads(I did that),  a very expensive mistake.
If you take out all the parts and then run the engine with no belt, variator or clutch, then you can see if noise is from the engine, or final drive area (spin the back wheel by hand).

Some ideas for you to work with for now.

Good luck.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

emreerdals

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 02:39:17 PM »
If that noise is coming out of the belt area, then that clattering can't be good.
You will have to open it up and test with the casing open.
Don't ride, just rev it while on the centre stand.
You will need an electric power ratchet to undo the variator and clutch nuts, if you need to look at those components.
Make very sure, when tightening up again, that you first hand tighten before using the power tool, or you could accidentally mess up the threads(I did that),  a very expensive mistake.
If you take out all the parts and then run the engine with no belt, variator or clutch, then you can see if noise is from the engine, or final drive area (spin the back wheel by hand).

Some ideas for you to work with for now.

Good luck.

Thank you for your descriptive reply! I did what you advised indeed but the problem is, the noise is not constantly coming. It begins when I am on the way for example and it goes after a few kilometers. Once it began when I was passing by the mechanic's location but it had been already gone when I arrived the workshop.

A mechanic said not to worry about it because the reason is a slipping clutch for him. I am not sure about this idea because in my opinion if the clutch is responsible for the noise, it should not make that sound when idling. The sound is coming regardless of movement but it gets louder proportionally to the speed and the rev.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 03:27:08 PM »
Variator weights can make a big racket, especially when idling. Not enough centrifugal force to keep them from rattling around.
Maybe they no longer round, because they are supposed to roll from inside to outer edge,  not slide.

The 500 clutch bell can do with a light rub with sandpaper to stop juddering and screeching, especially on take off.
Perhaps your 250 too.

If it has been suggested that it is the clutch, inspect the pads, to see if they are so worn down, that the clutch is actually slipping.

This is a dry clutch that is a bit like an old style drum brake.

The springs x 3 must not be broken or loose.

Good luck

« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 03:40:32 PM by xsel777 »

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 03:34:50 PM »
I listened again, and scooters generally sound like tractors, and vibrate badly.
Yours does not sound that bad.
I think I hear an exhaust note there.

Anyways, if you had done as I originally said, and opened the CVT up, then by now you should be able to say for sure whether it is from clutch or variator,  so I am suspect RE your diagnostic skills.

So I suggest you get a friend to help you, and then use two brains to analyse what you see and hear.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 03:41:06 PM by xsel777 »

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 03:39:59 PM »
Lastly,  my XC500EFI clutch has a big bearing and racer that fit into the outer CVT housing to help with the strain of the forces exerted on the clutch.
If the 250 has that, then check that and grease that up before reassembly (copper grease not 1960 axle grease)

emreerdals

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 01:19:51 PM »
The clutch, and the parts of the front variator were completely changed with original parts but the sound is still there. I suspect of three things and ask for your opinions if there is anyone had problems with the parts I mention:

1) Water Pump (any of its parts)
2) Oil Pump (any of its parts)
3) Timing Chain

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()