Author Topic: Kymco People 250 - Overheating Questions  (Read 9150 times)

DineshD

• View Profile
Re: Kymco People 250 - Overheating Questions
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 11:28:59 PM »
..ok...what's burping the radiator??..How and why do you have to do that??

peace

Filling the radiator, starting the scoot and slightly rocking the bike back and forth until the cooling system burped (air bubbles coming up from the radiator opening). After that fill with more coolant and repeat until radiator is full.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 11:31:57 PM »
..aaahhh..okay..makes sense...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

DineshD

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 11:33:51 PM »
Anyone know where to buy a new seat??? for a People 250?

garibaldi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 01:33:30 AM »
Stadium would be my go to source. The assembly means the "t" stat, retainer, and gasket.

Thank's for explaining this. I wasn't aware there were other parts to it. I only have the empty housing, so I guess I need the whole "assembly". $30+ sounds expensive... but I guess if I need it, then I need it. I've pretty much quit riding for fear of damaging it in this cold temperature. It never really warms up without the thermostat.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 02:58:49 AM »
A good auto or marine upholstery shop can re-do your seat in any fashion you want, or Stadium Yamaha has the best price on OEM Kymco parts. Tell them you were referred from the forum,and they will take real good care of your needs. ( not that they don't anyway)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 03:02:11 AM »
Garabaldi, Riding without the T stat will not harm your scoot at all. In fact it may be worse in the summer because the fluid cannot stay in the radiator long enough to cool. Winter riding is fine.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

yemjsr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 05:56:05 PM »
I aquired my scooter the same way: Impound yard. $200! And oddly enough, it was also suffering an overheating problem. The previous owner had already removed the thermostat, which I still need to replace, but can't seem to find where to get one! Can anyone give me a source? stadiumyamaha.com has an "assembly" for over $30!? That doesn't sound like what I need.

Anyway, I rode it once for a couple miles when I first got it, and it overheated so badly it destroyed the head gasket, piston and rings. So I ended up putting in the MRP 300cc upgrade kit. I think the overheating was caused by the coolant hoses leaking from loose clamps. At least that's the only problem I found when I went through it. Well, that and the blown head gasket. But was the blown head gasket a symptom or the cause? Just something else to check.

Also, the previous owner had put in a manual fan switch. I was riding it around town for upwards of 30 minutes, stop and go traffic, with the fan off (50-60F outside temps), and it never overheated. The needle would start climbing at stops, but would go down when air was moving from driving. So I'm doubtful that the fan is your problem, especially if you are overheating while driving in cool/cold temperatures. Like zombie said, start with pulling the thermostat out. And also see if it's dripping water when it gets hot. If so, locate where its dripping from and fix that.

So I think I blew my head casket, whats the cost on that repair if paying someone to do it?  I'm in Philly and can't stand the pompous south Philly scooter place, but it seems like its the only one.  Please advise.  Almost 10 years

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 09:46:21 PM »
Yem, you bumped an 8 year old thread with the same kind of info you posted in the 250 section.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()