Author Topic: Will not Start  (Read 2018 times)

OldBritDave

• View Profile
Will not Start
« on: November 02, 2015, 10:21:25 PM »
Hi All
Just got a 2005 Venox a week ago....great little bike which ran with no problems when I test rode it and when I brought it home (Gibsons, Sunshine Coast BC). Filled it up after a coupe of days (91 Octane, same as previous owner used), rode it 40kms no problem. Left it 1 day and went to start it next day - couldn't get it to start initially, then after messing with and without the choke it started and ran but kept cutting out and would not idle - eventually died and would not start at all. Tried again after a few hours - same results.
Decided to clean carbs, after consulting service shop in Vancouver. Spent whole weekend stripping bike and cleaning carbs - put it back together - now totally will not start. It fired a couple of times but not enough to run. Could it be the floats? - I did not reset them per the manual cos I could not see how to adjust them??  I put in new plugs and I have a spark, no problem...so it's a problem in the fuel system.
HELP

max oradea

• View Profile
Re: Will not Start
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
BC as in Canada? because if you are then you are in luck! Read my posts when i was still living in Europe, just moved to Canada last year. all i need is a warm working place. if nothing is broken i will have her running. I am located in Coquitlam. If you bring the bike or pay for my travels i will be happy to help you out.
Does the carb look like it has been worked on before, and are you sure you put it back together correctly? are all the parts on the bike in factory orientation? but before you get all excited please order a new air filter if you do not know when the last time it was changed.
And i guessed you bought this one http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/mcy/5271819024.html
if it is then it should have a extra air filter, hopefully it is new in a bag.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:58:45 AM by max oradea »

OldBritDave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 01:49:02 PM »
Thanks for your reply....yes I'm in BC, Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast.
The carbs don't look like they have been worked on  previously,  and they look to be in good condition.
I can't guarantee I got everything back correctly....the manual gives settings for the floats but I don't have a the "special tool"....rule??? So I put them back without any adjustments.
At the moment I don't have a warm place to work...I worked under a car port last weekend!!
I'm concerned that the problem happened suddenly...maybe it's not the carbs???
Can you give me a check list of things to work through to troubleshoot?

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 06:21:59 AM »
I dont believe the floats are off, so dont worry about them. when floats are off you usually get high rev problem or over flow problems.
Check list: are the plugs wet? you say you have new plugs in it so i would guess they are nice and white where the ceramic is.
If the plug is dry then... you might have not hooked up the fuel supply system up correctly. Check if you have fuel in the bows by releasing the drain screw.
remember the automatic fuel paddock runs on the vacuum port you must connect that for the fuel to flow to the bows.
1st make sure you are getting fuel to the engine. then we will figure it out from there. mare sure the idle mixture screw is set to factory setting. i have my vacuum gauge with me if you want to balance the cylinders after we get it up and running again.

OldBritDave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 09:09:34 PM »
Thanks again Max...
I didn't put the gas tank back on the bike - I hooked up a small temporary bottle with a feed to the fuel inlet pipe, through a small filter (I taped over the vacuum tube you mention which opens the fuel valve). I know there's is fuel in the float chambers, and I adjusted the mixture screws to 2 turns from fully closed, per the manual.
I am in Virginia on a business trip, will be home Friday afternoon and will mess with the bike some more. First job is to put the battery on charge, then try to start it again. Looks like the weather has cooled off a lot this week, so that's another challenge starting the bike!!!
I am liking your idea of getting the bike to you - will post more info over the weekend
 :)

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 01:13:20 AM »
We will get there, dont worry, when i was in Europe it got cold and still she fired up without hesitation. it was -5 i think.
check the spark plugs to see if it is wet after cranking. the bike was running when you bought it but now not at all, i do not believe its a big problem just something is off set. let me know what you think about transporting the bike over or something. keep in touch.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()