Author Topic: My Favorite Road Hazard  (Read 7965 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: My Favorite Road Hazard
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2016, 10:37:22 AM »
Riding in SoCal in the late '60s micro-mini skirts caused more than a few distracted rider accidents.
Then along came the Great Hot Pants scare.
Spooky/Happy times to be on earth!@!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2016, 04:56:03 PM »
Today it's yoga pants. Worse of they're jogging.

- Wolf

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2016, 09:43:25 PM »
Let's not forget the Daisy Dukes! Which would be more distracting, though, yoga pants or Yoda pants?  ;D
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2016, 10:57:01 PM »
Let's not forget the Daisy Dukes! Which would be more distracting, though, yoga pants or Yoda pants?  ;D

Yoda pants not me thinks  ;)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2016, 11:02:06 PM »
......how about great big shop windows where you can admire your extremely cool reflection....... instead of looking forwards and avoiding ramming into the rear of thr giant campervan ahead of you that's stopped suddenly because the old crumblies driving the thing don't know whether turn left or right at the next junction.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2016, 11:10:19 PM »
Ouch. I saw something like that, but a different circumstance. My wife and I were in our car pulling out of a hardware store. A car coming down the street on our right decided to stop to allow us out and into traffic. Only thing is the guy behind him ran into his back side so hard his enter car was lifted off the ground and nearly landed on his trunk.

Technically the guy who hit the guy from behind was at fault, but the guy who stopped really had no reason to, except for just being nice, and letting us pull into traffic. Sometimes good intentions and confusion create trouble on their own.

- Wolf

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2016, 11:19:23 PM »
There's a motor insurance scam going on in the UK based around that. Someone slows down and flashes you out of a junction and then they  deliberately run into the side of you, claiming that they never flashed you out at all. To the police, you are to blame & it's difficult to prove otherwise.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2018, 03:03:42 PM »
The Ides of March

Being constantly alert will always pay off.

Today I had to catch an early morning train from Philly to Baltimore, Maryland. The weather was finally warm enough (38F) that I felt safe enough to ride into to town (I live in New Jersey) instead of taking the two trains like I had been doing since mid-January. Leaving home around 5 am it was still dark with no sign of the sun anywhere. I was looking forward to a quiet ride with hardly any commuters on the road. As I was heading to the Ben Franklin Bridge on a small highway doing about 55 in a 45, I was in the passing lane with no one to share the road with save a Jeep that had passed me a minute before. To my left was a hip high concrete barrier that separated my side of the highway from the other going in the opposite direction.

Fortunately I was awake enough and not deep in thought when I saw something up ahead. It was just a smudge shape in the darkness welling against the barrier, then when about 50-70 feet away I saw what it was. A full grown German Shepherd was padding down the highway coming in my direction. Resisting the urge to grab a hand full of brake I shifted slightly to my right, coasted into the next lane and avoided hitting the dog by about 5-6 feet. It didn't even flinch, as if walking the wrong way down a highway at 5 in the morning was an everyday thing.

Fill in the obligatory exclamations here - both the biblical and the sailor type. I think I said them all before I coasted back into my original lane. The hardest part after that was to resist re-playing the event over and over in my head least I run into another road
hazard, or any car in front of me. My attention needed to be on the road. I could ponder my close call later.

Obviously I made it to Baltimore, but the event was still unnerving, enough for me to share it here. Despite the date it still could be the Ides of March. Keep alert about there. You never know what dog will be in your path.

- Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()