Author Topic: My Favorite Road Hazard  (Read 7967 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
My Favorite Road Hazard
« on: October 21, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »
The other day I was taking a left, 90 degree turn, at an intersection. Lately, I've been working on my throttle sense with the goal of speed control so that I don't have to use my brakes when executing a turn. As I looked into my turn made I spotted two items on the road at the turn's apex. One looked like a flat piece of metal, and the other was a swatch of cloth. Already committed to turning, I didn't consider the items to be a problem and added power with the throttle. That's when the front wheel slipped sideways causing my heart to jump into my throat. Fortunately, my front tire re-gripped the road again and I continued on, shaken, but still upright.

The experience served as a good reminder that there are no minor road hazards, or items so small that they present no danger. It also made me think about the most dangerous road hazard I ever encountered  - a piece of soggy cardboard the size of a Risk game board that I narrowly avoided while taking a turn in a rain storm doing about 40 mpg. Scared the S--- out of me. If I had hit it there's no doubt I'd have been road kill.

The craziest road hazard I saw was in downtown Philadelphia while riding around city hall. It was a queen size mattress that had fallen off a truck and was in the circular road surrounding the building. I was keeping a good following distance behind the bus in front of me so I was able to avoid it, but I thought about other riders who may not be as lucky, or vigilant.

So, anyone have any good road hazard stories? What's the worst, biggest and craziest things you've ever seen?

- Wolf

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: My Favorite Road Hazard
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 11:51:40 PM »
Deep, moist leaves on a very, very steep turn in a State park.
Wasn't going much over walking speed....but it was still nearly too much.
These scenic rides are OK in the summer - but kicked myself for being so stupid in the autumn.
Broad daylight, too.
On my dark rides, I :
a)  never ride in the evening
b) never travel over unknown roads
c) expect tree debris or a deer in every blind corner

One thing I did to improve my night road vision %100 was to crank the twin headlights way up on my Burgman. Spent no $$, added no additional lighting, did not mess with any part of the electrical system. Just used an 8mm wrench and spent a 1/2 hour on my back. I no longer feel like I'm over-driving my lighting at 35mph. The curb side light is aimed even higher than the left light....for seeing the road edge further along.
In 1500 miles of riding I have never had a car flash at me for blinding them with these twin low beams....so they must be OK. Suzuki had them shining directly in front of the scooter.....Very good lighting - but aimed too low. I fixed that.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 12:54:49 AM »
Sounds like you and I are thinking alike. I’m not a fan of driving at night along unknown roads, and I tend to stick to the center part of the lane once the leaves begin to fall, especially after a rain fall. The edges of a road tend to be hazard spots.

I was also just thinking yesterday that I should adjust lights and aim them a little higher. Thick gravel can be just as bad as wet leaves.

- Wolf

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 11:01:18 PM »
Sand over asphalt in the apex. Deer carcass in a blind turn. Farm equipment with no lights; good reason for no night riding.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 01:59:57 PM »
Walnuts are another thing that will make you pucker if you hit one dead center and it throws your front end sideways.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »
Acorns can be equally as bad, especially in groups. Like slipping on ball bearings. I think someone mentions plastic bags earlier. I had a floating one latch onto my left handle bar, covering my hand and brake control. Couldn't get it off until I came to a stop.

Is it me, or has anyone ever noticed you never get a red light when you need one?

- Wolf

bman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 10:02:40 PM »
Worst for me was a 12" piece of railroad track laying in the road.
Was doing about 60 exiting the highway, on a combination off-on ramp, attention focused on splitting the two vehicles merging onto the highway.
Never saw it. Loud bang followed by immediate rear tire deflation.
Got it stopped safely, and on closer inspection found a small ding in the front wheel, rear wheel bent and cracked.
Glad I didn't hit it full on with the front wheel.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 06:09:49 PM »
 There's something about RR crossing that always make me uncomfortable. Like I've crossed into some horror film and I'm the hapless victim about to get creamed by a runaway train. You'll never see me trying to heat the signal arm going down.

- Wolf

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 05:00:04 AM »
Only been on my Like 50 for a lil under 200 miles but I go over rr tracks 4 times a day yeah.......no fun........
2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 12:36:43 PM »
Here in the states it's at the height of the Fall/Autumn foliage. Fallen leaves can be both beautiful and dangerous. How's everyone doing with the change of seasons?

- Wolf

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 03:59:46 PM »
Small animals seem to pop out to me (turkey, squirrel, beaver) but just yesterday I encountered frost on the road where trees shade the road. The roads were dry yesterday but when I got to some wooded areas some sections of road still had frost on them. Esspecially if they are shaded by evergreen trees. VERY SLICK.
Wayne

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 03:58:48 PM »
I had those thoughts today as I prepared for my commute to work. One of the coldest mornings to date in our area. Just above freezing, but I thought over the curves and sections that lay in shade and shadow on my ride into Philly. No rain for about a week, so no runoff, or puddles to worry about, but the morning fog told me there was moisture in the aid, and on the roads.

Made it in safe, or else I couldn't have written this post. My guard is up, though. Despite the date, Winter is here.

- Wolf

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 02:42:37 PM »
Unfortunately, my biggest road hazard is the fact that I live 2 blocks from the local high school.  So I have the constant battle of watching for 16-18 year old drivers with no common sense, no spacial awareness, and usually a cell phone in their hand!!  >:(

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 07:05:31 PM »
DMblues01 I know what you mean. We live next to our town’s high school as well. If possible, get pictures of the cell phone drivers and send them to the school, or post on the School’s FB page if they have one. Shame goes a long way towards fixing behaviors.

- Wolf

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 03:49:38 PM »
DMblues01 I know what you mean. We live next to our town’s high school as well. If possible, get pictures of the cell phone drivers and send them to the school, or post on the School’s FB page if they have one. Shame goes a long way towards fixing behaviors.

- Wolf

My brother-n-law is a police officer here in town, so I might have passed along a license plate number for him to screw with once or twice.  ::)
But, I'm an A-hole like that sometimes!  ;D

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()