Author Topic: Malossi BBK for People 50 2T  (Read 41925 times)

paceneedsstides

• Cuz I can't drive...55!!...No I mean that I try...
    • View Profile
Re: Malossi BBK for People 50 2T
« Reply #270 on: August 14, 2016, 03:56:49 PM »
Nice to see you rode so much 4 hours and 5 gallons how far did you ride lol?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2013 Kymco/Malossi Like 70 2T
Technigas Next R Chrome exhaust
Malossi Dellorto 19mm Carb
94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Malossi Blue Rear Pulley Spring
Malossi Torsion controller
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit
Malossi PHBG Open Racing Filter Chrome Covered

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 14, 2016, 06:00:44 PM »
O-ring head gasket, I don't think mine has ever leaked, I keep reusing mine, no problems.  I don't like the design, would rather have flat copper head gasket,  with some different thicknesses so you change compression.  49ccscootproboards always says to check for airleaks.  I think if you have airleak, idle will race, be inconsistent.  I doubt you have airleak.

My WOT problem appears to have gone away.  I think retarding timing may have helped.

I missed stated amount of gas burned, was more like 3 gallons, not 5.  Scooter gets approx 40mpg, so maybe rode 120 miles.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 17, 2016, 03:32:34 AM »
I changed throttle barrel from 50 to 40 and went for long ride.  Was supposed to make richer and it did, a little too rich now.  Air temps have dropped, so I guess engine running cooler from that too, max temp 362F.  This ride, a little too rich maybe 1/2 to WOT, but actually ran very well.  I lost some top speed, engine was happy to cruise WOT from 8800 to 9200 depending on slope, max revs 9600.  There was no sweet spot, where you back off throttle and runs leaner/ better/ hotter.  I found if I gave more throttle, engine made more HP.

Engine definitely seemed louder from airpod.  Was always loud when giving it a lot of throttle, but now seems loud all the time.  I tried a kart airbox, and would be really quite, but airbox for 100cc 2T engine is probably too large to mount on scooter.  Appears side panel would hit when suspension bottomed out, not ready to cut out side plastic to make it work, before I try something else.  Have been looking at Doppler Alien Eye, may order one from treatland to try.  Supposed to really quite down throttle noise, but described as huge size, plus I saw some posts saying it falls apart.

Next I will lower needle one notch from 3rd notch down to 2nd down and try.  Looking for a little leaner setting.  I am getting close, I can tell this thing will be pretty fast if I ever get it dialed in.  I am getting more confident I will eventually get it dialed in.  Cheers

1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 17, 2016, 07:37:16 PM »
Lol seems pretty fast as is bro

94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 18, 2016, 12:21:16 PM »
Sounds like you have it pretty well dialed in.

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 18, 2016, 01:40:15 PM »
I dropped the needle one notch to 2nd down and went for long ride.  Better still, runs awesome, a little quieter from pod airfilter, very nice throttle response, high temp 368F, max revs 9600.  Still doesn't rev out like Super 9, but think would if ran a little leaner, but then maybe would get too hot?

Carb:  idle jet 50, throttle barrel 40, nozzle AU264, needle W9 set 2nd notch down, main jet 83

Think I will leave carb alone for now and install Tecnigas Trek pipe today.  Might help it rev up a little higher, and still run cool?

Lost track of mileage since odometer went out, but have 97.4 hours on Trailtech tach.  Cheers

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2016, 09:38:49 PM »
Installed Tecnigas Trek pipe and went for long ride.  I really like pipe, revs a lot easier, doesn't seem to labor, loud pod air filter sound went away.  Maybe need to richen up carb a little, seems to run a little leaner.  I fouled plug and got some pre-ignition, didn't know what was going on at 1st, engine got hot, high temp 407F.  Limped home, changed plug, and now all is well.

Installed nice, end of pipe comes up higher than Next-R, almost hits right rear turn signal, but appears to clear OK.  Max revs about the same, but more power full range.  Maybe a little higher cruising speed, didn't loose any low end power, probably runs better low end.  Pretty peppy, this thing is fast.

Next, maybe do CVT mods, don't really need for acceleration, but Malossi variator and Malossi torque driver should give more top speed.  Sure wish I could find an up gear kit that works on this scooter?  Cheers

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2016, 11:02:53 PM »
some pics of 05 People 50 2T with Tecnigas Trek pipe:  sorry don't know how to delete duplicate pic?

][URL=http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/charlespou/media/IMG_0546_zpsz0k2hnnu.jpg.html][/url]

][URL=http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/charlespou/media/IMG_0542_zpshuz7zftl.jpg.html][/url]

[url][/url]

I almost always use kickstarter, so added better one, same as Super 9 LC

][URL=http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/charlespou/media/IMG_0549_zpsjixifvvx.jpg.html][/url]

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2016, 11:04:55 PM »
Looking good bro

94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 24, 2016, 02:26:43 AM »
After got Trek pipe tested some, realized I was right back to running hot again, have to set carb too rich to run cool, etc.  So, I went back to NextR pipe, retarded the timing a little more, and changed out 9oz Malossi rollers with 8oz Dr Pulley sliders in the Malossi variator I had already installed.

Initially, I tried to retard timing approx 2 to 3 degrees.  This time I was trying to retard timing 5 degrees from OEM setting.  This is how I did it. 

1st pull the flywheel, you will need a flywheel puller, next remove the stator assembly just to get it out of the way and remove the magnetism that will make it hard to get an accurate result.

To retard timing, you will need to rotate the flywheel on the crankshaft counter clockwise.  That will cause piston to travel up the bore a little closer to TDC when the sparkplug fires.  The spark is always advanced to fire before the piston reaches TDC, to retard you are delaying the spark a littler longer so the piston is closer to TDC.  Retarding ignition timing should help engine to run cooler, plus should over rev better, anyway that's what Gordon Jennings says, author "2 Stroke Tuner's Handbook".

I computed 5 degree by measuring the circumference of the flywheel, approx 13 3/8 inches, and divided 13 3/8 by 360 degrees and multiplied that result by 5 to get portion of flywheel circumference equal to 5 degrees, or approx 0.186 inches.  3/16 inch is equal to approx 0.188 inches, so I used 3/16 inch for my measurement on the outside of the flywheel.

Next, I installed a piston stop, installed the flywheel with the key, and rotated the crankshaft counter clockwise until it stopped at the piston stop.  I also installed a pointer I made out of a large paper clip so I could accurately see the position of the flywheel relative to the engine case.  You can tighten or loosen the piston stop a little to adjust the position of the flywheel so you can use something on the flywheel as a marker.  Once I established my marker, I remove the flywheel, put it in a vice to hold it, and used a hacksaw to lightly mark the spot where the pointer lined up with the flywheel with the piston stop with the key installed.  Then I measured 3/16 inch to the right of the 1st mark for the flywheel position to retard timing 5 degrees, and used the hacksaw to lightly mark this spot too.

The trick is to get it all back together without using the key to position the flywheel, because now in the 5 degrees retarded position the key will not fit.  I am not sure you have too, but I lapped the crankshaft and flywheel with some valve grinding compound to mate the surfaces a little better.  It should go without saying, but be sure to clean/ remove all the grinding compound, I used a rag, brake cleaner, and compressed air to clean.

So, with the crankshaft stopped against the piston stop as you turn the crankshaft counter clockwise, you install the flywheel onto the crankshaft lining up the pointer with the 5 degree mark, the one to the right of the OEM mark you made.  I use an impact driver to quickly set it in position before I torque down.  Note:  the piston is against the piston stop and will not turn counter clockwise, you are tightening the flywheel nut clockwise, so you are not banging on the top of the piston.  Be very careful using a piston stop and impact driver, or you can easily hammer top of the piston.  I think piston stops are OK to torque on the flywheel nut, but just not with an impact driver.  Also, do not take the CVT cover off the other side and use the variator nut to hold the crankshaft in position, you can easily twist the crankshaft, then you really have problems.

OK, after all that I took it for a long ride.  I had already adjusted the carb some trying to get the Trek pipe to run better, so I figured it would be a little rich.  Anyway, ran like a champ, probably the best it's ever run.  High temp was 408F, but I hit that after running a couple of miles at approx 9500 revs, and went to WOT the last 1/4 mile or so before I stopped for red light.  It never balked or acted up, didn't act hot or anything.  Actually, was generally running so cool I am thinking of going back to OEM BR8HSA plug.  Yesterday I was depressed about the Trek pipe, today I am pumped again.  Cheers

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 24, 2016, 02:48:17 AM »
Impressed by your tenacity.

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 25, 2016, 03:07:33 AM »
I changed the plug back to OEM BR8HSA and went for ride.  Was surprised how much it helped.  Carb is obviously too rich and stumbled quite a bit with BR9HS plug, but all that went away with hotter plug.  I wasn't planning on riding it for long, figured I would come back soon and take out Super 9 LC, People was running so nice I just kept going.

I normally carry 2 bottles of measured oil to add at gas station with fill-ups, but only had one, and used it to fill-up after I burned approx 1/2 tank.  Then I ran low again, but was having so much fun I forgot I didn't have any oil with me.  I was out of gas again and too far to make it home.  I still have oil pump functioning, so I filled up with gas and rode home without the extra oil, another 6 to 8 miles or so.  I did take it very easy, but seemed to be OK.

I am patiently waiting for Airsal gasket kit to come in so I can try a head gasket to lower compression.  BBK is probably acceptable now, but still gets very hot from time to time.  High CHT this last ride was 415F, but I wasn't worried and very controllable, just slow down a bit and temp drops quickly, 99% of the time I am flying.

Dr Pulley 8oz sliders helped, and I may try 7.5oz next.  Engine has great torque at very low revs, but has a burst of HP approx 7500 and again approx 8500 revs depending.  Changing from Malossi 9oz rollers to Dr Pulley 8oz sliders moved revs out of the 6000 range up into the 7000 plus range, now accelerates really nice and easy and get a nice exhaust sound instead of the air filter howling.

I know I am not fast like motorcycle, but on 50mph road with 30mph slow downs for turns, this ride is really fun.  I go fast enough to want to slow for the turns, then can power through turn leaned over, fun!!!  I am having fewer cars wanting to pass me, so I think I am probably going speed limit or better.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 25, 2016, 02:05:11 PM »
Sounds nice my Like is doing good I haven't fiddled with it much since putting gears in I still need to go lighter on torque spring but it's runs nice and rarely need to go over 9K rpms to bury needle. I barely ever have a stumbling problem as just stay out of WOT for long periods of time if it does stumble I just drop to half throttle which seems to go as fast as WOT and only time it gets over 360 is when it starts to stumble other than that it runs perfect and cool.

94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 25, 2016, 02:23:42 PM »
Yes, upgear is the best way to go.  Glad yours is running well.  Did you ever get 20mm intake installed?  I ordered one too, but not here yet.  Cheers

paceneedsstides

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 25, 2016, 02:26:47 PM »
No I'm gonna get a Malossi VL9 reedblock with carbon reeds and gaskets first than install it

94 main jet
Malossi Multivar
Dr Pulley 6gr Sliders
Stage 6 Sport Pro Clutch
Stage 6 upgear kit