Author Topic: WINTER IS COMING AND I WANT A GREAT BATTERY.....?WHICH ONE?......  (Read 4571 times)

0BARK4322

• View Profile
I do ride in the winter so I would like to buy a battery that is good for SUB-COLDDDDDD weather....HELPPPPP
ALL STOCK

abobotek

• View Profile
Re: WINTER IS COMING AND I WANT A GREAT BATTERY.....?WHICH ONE?......
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 10:19:46 AM »
Either get a stock Yuasa or a lithium-iron battery.  The S200's 163cc engine takes more to turn over than a 125cc.  The cheap replacements that supposedly replace a YTX7A-BS don't have the CCA of the Yuasa.  They may be fine for other bikes, but not the S200.  I wasted my money on two of these cheaper batteries. 
Red 2007 People S 200
Black 2008 Yamaha Majesty

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 01:36:17 PM »

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 03:48:40 PM »
Motobatt is the way to go, really sorted out my xc500 starting problems

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 09:14:55 PM »
Here's what I did. Start practicing kick starting your bike, get it down pat and do it as a means of starting her once or twice a week. This way if your battery does die you know what it takes to kick her over.

And always have a trickle charge at home so you can keep her fully charged, these little batteries just don't hold power like a car batt. does.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:32:42 PM »
You are right about that
ALL STOCK

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 11:35:37 PM »
YUASA.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 11:54:06 PM »
Either get a stock Yuasa or a lithium-iron battery.  The S200's 163cc engine takes more to turn over than a 125cc.  The cheap replacements that supposedly replace a YTX7A-BS don't have the CCA of the Yuasa.  They may be fine for other bikes, but not the S200.  I wasted my money on two of these cheaper batteries.

The YUASA AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) will do ya well.  The LI Fe batteries do great until you hit a bit above freezing, then they drop off fast.
I use AGM's in temperate Seattle with no issues down to a bit below freezing.
An SLA (Sealed Lead Acid/flooded) battery is a bit cheaper, but has less power, & is a bit heavier than the same size AGM.  The cost difference isn't huge, so I'd avoid 'em & watch out for those if you're checking a general battery site since they tend to sneak into price comparisons.

Best place I've found to get the YUASA is off Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUAM32X7A-YTX7A-BS-Battery/dp/B000N5R6W2
Even when there's an option to get a pre-filled battery I get the ones that you have to add the acid to so the battery is as fresh as possible
If you do that:
- You will have to add the acid yourself - Read the directions and follow them & you'll have no issues.  Do keep some baking soda or baking soda water mix handy just in case.
- You will need to have a charger, good for 1-2 amps per hour slow charge, and a place you can let it take it's initial charge.
Read the directions, & don't use a charger that puts out more than about 25% of the amp rating of the battery.  If you dig around you can find sites that explain why, but the short is the harder you charge it the more heat you generate.  Too much and you get issues.  I have a 2 amp car charger kicking around that's worked OK for me to date.  I do keep the battery some place it can't damage just in case of course, but really no issues to date.

If ya ain't got the place, the confidence, & patience, or are a 5 thumbs type I recommend getting a YUASA  from your local dealer for a few bucks extra.

I don't recommend any other brand.  I've had at best mediocre, & in general bad luck with others, save on SLA I paid too much for from Budget Battery.

That said:
You can get an OK battery from outfits like Battery Shark that have a Chinese battery with the acid in it already, but if you read the reviews you'll see they're pretty hot and cold with quite a few saying that the seller was great on the warranty and the second or third battery was great.
It's great that they're good on warranty, but since I ride for transportation, not just recreation it's a hassle I'd rather avoid.
Getting a dry battery and setting it up fresh myself then being done until it's time for a new one 2-4 years later is my preference.

Far as Motobatt goes, they were the darling of the Burgman 650 crowd for some time, but reports of QC problems took the shine off them a couple years ago.  Their biggest boosters went back to YUASA.  Maybe their batteries in this category are better, or they just had a bad run. Tough to say.

In all cases I do recommend a trickle charger if you don't have one.

Hope that's helpful.
Tromper

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 11:55:41 PM by tromper »
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 12:33:38 AM »
Find your stock battery in the YUASA web site charts.
Then look for more powerful YUASA batteries in those charts that are the same physical size as the battery in your scooter.
You can choose from those more powerful batteries and have assured good winter starts.
Buy from amazon.
I did this in 3 scooters.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 10:42:06 PM »
I'm going to give motobatt or yuasa a try
ALL STOCK

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 11:02:04 PM »
Yuasa.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 05:33:51 PM »
Yuasa doesn't have the people listed
ALL STOCK

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 08:36:29 PM »
Same body as the S125, just a little bigger motor, so that's whatcha look up.  Battery Type: YTX7A-BS.
Also the same battery for the 150, & as I recall what's installed in mine. (I'm NAH, but if you'd like I can check when I get there)
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 11:00:15 PM »
Yep, it's the ytx7a....going from $50 to $80 something
ALL STOCK

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 10:26:38 AM »
Yep
Just pull your present  battery...get the info off of it.
Go to YUASA....look it up. There is your physical size...now search out same size, more power.
Look up battery, not scooter.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()