Author Topic: Something is wrong with my scooter  (Read 1561 times)

bbwlover

• View Profile
Something is wrong with my scooter
« on: August 26, 2015, 11:27:31 PM »
Hello everyone and thank you for letting me into your community.

I bought a Frost a few months ago and it's been running great until a few days ago. There are a number of problems, that I think might be related because they all happened quite recently.

1. The oil light came on, so I changed the oil and the light doesn't shut off.

2. Off the line the bike is VERY shaky. It rumbles and shakes a LOT. It levels off once I go full throttle.

3. I've lost a lot of power. I don't go off the line as quickly as I used to and the over all acceleration and top speed is significantly less.

Any thoughts? I'm trying to avoid taking it into the shop since the shop is quite far away and towing it would cost me a $100 at least.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Something is wrong with my scooter
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 05:06:14 AM »
First off, welcome to the forum. To answer your questions to the best of my ability, the oil light is simply a mileage based oil change indicator. Your shaking off the line is caused by a slight oil buildup on the clutch, you will need an impact wrench to get the clutch off then scuff the pads with 500 grit and clean the grease off the bell. Can't exactly tell you what the power loss is, did it start right after the oil change? Could be over filled oil make sure it's on the center strand and the oil is not over the hash marks. Let us know what you find!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

bbwlover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 05:58:43 AM »
Hmm. That's really interesting because I did in fact over fill the oil.

As for the shaking, my mechanic said the same thing; to basically clean the bell.

I guess it's off to Youtube for tutorials. I'll do what I can and fill you in.

Truly appreciated!

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 01:28:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum and the world of the Frost - AKA Yager in the States. Best of luck with the repairs and let us know how it turned out.

-Wolf

bbwlover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 07:58:51 AM »
Things turned out quite well for me. I took out some oil which fixed the power problem and got rid of the oil light. I took it into the chop to have the bell covers cleaned which solved the rumbling. I also had a problem with stalls every now and then, which my guy fixed as well. Total for all this came to about $50, and the bikes running perfectly smooth now!

Thank you very much for all the help

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 08:42:06 AM »
Things turned out quite well for me. I took out some oil which fixed the power problem and got rid of the oil light. I took it into the chop to have the bell covers cleaned which solved the rumbling. I also had a problem with stalls every now and then, which my guy fixed as well. Total for all this came to about $50, and the bikes running perfectly smooth now!

Thank you very much for all the help
I'd say you made out very well! $50 to have the scooter opened up and then clutch bell cleaned and other issues addressed is quite a good price...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()