Author Topic: Cagers to Look Out For  (Read 5405 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Cagers to Look Out For
« on: August 24, 2015, 02:40:48 AM »
Does anyone have a type -- that one kind of driver that seems to constantly cause you problems? For me it seems to be BMW sports cars. I've been aggressively tailgated, passed on a single land road, and cut in front of consistently. Don't know if there is a connection between that brand of car and A--holes with licenses, but I spot them more than others.

Anyone else have a 4 wheel adversary? PU Trucks, SUVs, soccer moms, bus drivers, teens with cell phones? Share your stories, and how you deal (or want to deal) with them.

-Wolf

GLV55

• View Profile
Re: Cagers to Look Out For
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:03:24 AM »
I'm going to put in my vote for the mini-van driver. Usually a mom with a bunch of kids she's paying attention to, instead of watching the road. And I can't tell you how many times I have seen her on the phone at the same time. Very distracted drivers! The thought that there may be 2 wheeled riders on "her" road probably never occurs to this person. Cure? I don't know that there is one, other than birth control 😉
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Jeopardy4100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 03:22:21 AM »
OMG GLV55 I was about to write precisely the same.  I would add how they pass on the right and can't see you because they hold their IPhone with their left hand.  Leave 2 car lengths at 45 mph and they cut right in front of you.

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 09:57:03 AM »
OMG GLV55 I was about to write precisely the same.  I would add how they pass on the right and can't see you because they hold their IPhone with their left hand.  Leave 2 car lengths at 45 mph and they cut right in front of you.
West Central Florida, anything on four wheels over 1,500 pounds is dangerous. Maybe it's the humidity? Pick-up truck drivers tailgate and then pass with no room. large Lincoln Mercury inhabitants make left hand turns right in front of you. 18 to 45'ers text (illegal) non-stop as they swerve from just over the left to just over the right of their lane. There is no doubt the "assault" comes from all areas...

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 08:17:56 PM »
I sometimes wonder how we're all alive. My wife and I were riding yesterday and a sports car (not a BMW though) was tailgating us. She signaled for him/her -- it to back off. They did so grudgingly. After that she declared that she wants a paintball gun for Christmas. Would give the term 'Tail-gunner' a new meaning.

I know, road rage isn't the answer, but are helmet cams and GoPro cameras the way to go? Could they be used to create a citizens arrest (provided the license plate is caught)?

Great stories. The idea of a a Lincoln Mercury wiping you off the road is pure Stephen King-ish. Damn. I think my first run-in with a bad driver was a soccer mom. I was on a 50cc scooter, and wanted to chase and kick the van's side walls in.

It's perverse, but I want to hear more.

-Wolf

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 11:00:17 PM »
All of them. They all need to be watched.
Mini van, sports car, bus, truck, scoots and horse and buggy. All other motorists.

I don't see anything when I'm on a bike that I don't see in my car. Same dumb sh**. They don't hunt cycles they drive distracted.

We choose to ride so we accept the dangers. All other vehicles pose a threat.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 04:47:28 PM »
Large SUV's for sure, they inhibit the driver's view of the surroundings and usually give them a sense of invincibility because they are basically driving a small tank. I have had SUV drivers literally swerve at me, with the intention of hitting me. If someone comes at me on the road, they automatically loose a mirror. I'll give someone who is distracted the benefit of the doubt that they feel bad about it, but you cross the line when it's intentional, that constitutes wielding a deadly weapon IMHO. They will let anyone with cash get a license, scary out there!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 05:02:32 PM »
Truth is I remember from the MSF course, "Single Vehicle Motorcycle Accidents" were right there (or exceeded) the number of two vehicle motorcycle accidents. Course material quoted the degree of difficulty of motorcycle operation as nine times that of operating a car. Now while our automatic scooters are certainly easier to ride than manual shifting cycles; they (scooters) are still much more difficult to ride than it is to drive a car. The first person you need to keep an eye on is yourself...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:24:22 AM by PapaSoldTheHarley »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 09:32:48 PM »
Truth is I remember from the MSF course, "Single Vehicle Motorcycle Accidents" were right there (or exceeded) the number of two vehicle motorcycle accidents. Course material quoted the degree of difficulty of motorcycle operation as nine times that of operating a car. Now our automatic scooters are certainly easier to ride than manual shifting cycles; they (scooters) are still much more difficult to ride than it is to drive a car. The first person you need to keep an eye on is yourself...

Well put, Papa.
Motorized 2 wheel vehicles are crashing themselves around here all the time.
Alcohol might be involved in some of them - but speed is involved in almost every single-bike accident. Speeding.
Riders cannot blame that on drivers.
(now I'll probably get clipped by an Accord tomorrow)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 11:12:55 PM »
Hope not Stig. Like having you around.

Yeah, I think I may shake my head more at the idiot 2 wheel drives I see around. Over the weekend my wife and I were on a ride on a road with a posted speed of 45 mph. Passing us in the on coming lane was a MC rider standing straight up on his riding pegs, fingers on his handle bar and throttle, and casually riding like that down the road. The road was straight and flat, but full of bumps, depressed manhole covers and occasional potholes. Things that jostle you fully if you're sitting down.

It's his life, but I hope he stays out of the gene pool.

-Wolf

bman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 02:48:01 AM »
Hope not Stig. Like having you around.

Yeah, I think I may shake my head more at the idiot 2 wheel drives I see around. Over the weekend my wife and I were on a ride on a road with a posted speed of 45 mph. Passing us in the on coming lane was a MC rider standing straight up on his riding pegs, fingers on his handle bar and throttle, and casually riding like that down the road. The road was straight and flat, but full of bumps, depressed manhole covers and occasional potholes. Things that jostle you fully if you're sitting down.

It's his life, but I hope he stays out of the gene pool.

-Wolf

Pretty normal for a dual sport rider.
Nice to get off the seat and let your equipment air out.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 03:25:54 PM »
Might be easier and safer just to pull over. Like I said, it's his life.

-Wolf

scooterdad2324

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 03:36:26 AM »
Teens with cell phones and snooty women that seem to think that they are the only ones who own the road

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

scooterdad2324

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 03:38:26 AM »
My story posted on general discussion titled hit and run

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 04:05:22 AM »
I think the worse part about the use of cell phones in accidents is the lack of enforcement and consequences. I'd love to see people have their licenses automatically revoked if they are responsible for an accident while on their phones. A month suspension if they are caught riding/driving with one.

If the consequences are harsh enough it may give people more of a pause when thinking of using one.

-Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()