Author Topic: Sorry I am so stupid, how does one get air filter element out?  (Read 919 times)

Owatta

• View Profile
UPDATE! ---- I went out and discovered some dumb ass put the filter in with BLACK SILICONE!  So, I got it out with razor knife and pliers, will take the air box off now to scrape it all out and clean it inside, probably not such a bad idea anyway, will now look for a new filter element. You can now ignore the following paragraph......
2009 Xciting 500Ri, looks really easy, I took off the screws, but nothing behind it to come out! I used pliers on what I see, but it looks to be part of the air box. I thought I knew what I was doing, but this has me stumped. I might just take the air box off and figure it out. That looks easy. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 09:04:21 PM by Owatta »

bongoman

• View Profile
Re: Sorry I am so stupid, how does one get air filter element out?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 02:07:45 PM »
You can also make your own performance filter that helps the motor breathe. Cut out the cardboard in the middle and insert a piece of Unifoam that's been cut to size. Spray filter oil on the foam and stick it back in. Get the Unifoam from a dealer. Motocross racers use the foam to make custom filters. I did that and replaced the OEM muffler with a Zard. My Xciting runs smoother, a little better gas mileage and a little quicker.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

Owatta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 03:28:49 PM »
Thanks Bongoman, I've been reading your posts. And I did make my own filter, saved money and had fun doing it. I also have a Mivv exhaust system on the way from Italy. I've had 4 other scooters and 37 motorcycles over the years, this one is pretty fun, getting used to its handling and weight, as I am an old guy now.

TeamTEOR2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »
I have a funny feeling that is how they install the air filters from the factory. The first time I swapped out my air filter it also had a silicone layer or something on it.

I wish there was an off the shelf part that we could use to make this better like a cone filter or something like that. I just replaced my filter with a factory filter at about $45. So now I will convert my used one to use some uni-foam or something. I wonder if we used a super light coating of grease on the rubber if it will slide in easier and not foul anything up. I used some water based jelly (like KY, lol) to lube up this last filter. While it went in easier, it is probably going to stick when it is time to remove it. Perhaps a light grease coating will not dry up and allow us to constantly reuse the filters without ruining the rubber gaskets.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()