Author Topic: Hit and run  (Read 3387 times)

scooterdad2324

• View Profile
Hit and run
« on: August 22, 2015, 03:06:28 PM »
So two weeks ago I was coming home from work and cruising along at 40 mph when a guy decided to pass me and get into my lane. When he moved back over into my lane he hit the front of my scooter causing the scooter to come out from under me. Now being as I couldn't afford good armoured clothing, you can see where this is headed. Yes I hit the pavement and slid for almost 50 yards. When I came to and yes it knocked me out I believe. The driver failed to stop and to make it worse no one else stopped to check on me either. Fractured my left foot and road rash like crazy but alive some how. Scooter ok , well at least its in better shape than me[emoji1]   so please watch out for those idiots who aren't watching for us.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

GLV55

• View Profile
Re: Hit and run
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 03:32:01 PM »
I'm so glad you are not seriously injured and the bike is rideable. What a total a**hole that idiot was. Like most people on the road these days, he was probably completely unaware that he even did that to you. I can't believe all the other people just passed you by and didn't do a thing. I was hit by a drunk driver who also took off from the scene, but I had 3 people stop to see if I was okay, and one lady even followed the guy while on the phone with the police, leading them right to him. I guess there are some good things to living in Idaho after all. Again, so sorry for your accident and even more thankful that you are safe and well!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Doc Wheezer

• Silently riding armed through the Mojave Desert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 06:52:45 PM »
Does not surprise me at all.  A lot of drivers consider scooters and their riders nothing more than a nuisance pest on the road.  I have also seen some real bonehead moves by scooter riders that does nothing to help endear them to automobile drivers.

I'm glad you are ok.

Doc

scooterdad2324

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 08:06:19 PM »
Thanks guys I appreciate it. And yea I've seen some scooter riders myself that were acting stupid which makes us all look bad. Thanks for yalls concern and I believe that the guy knew what he did and knowing from what I've seen around our town he was probably on his damn phone not paying attention. As for the others who didn't stop. Well I hope they never get treated the way they treated me. Oh well lesson learned. From now on I call my wife and let her know when I leave from any where I'm at and if she doesn't hear from me within 10-15 minutes then she calls me to see if everything is ok

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 09:46:51 PM »
Glad you are alive and in mainly one piece.

Almost happened to me a few months back.

One of the reasons I now ride with a dash cam. May not get the plate but the vehicle would be ID'd mostly.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

scooterdad2324

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 12:44:44 AM »
Yea that's a great idea and thanks for the concern

scooterdad2324

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 12:46:17 AM »
Once I completely heal back up you can bet that I'll be wearing my pants and boots and when I ride

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 01:31:35 AM »
Glad to hear you're okay. I hope one day dash cams become standard on helmets or scooters. I know what you're going through. I'm about 90% healed from a crash I had back in mid-May -- left hand turner cut in front of me with his car. Luckily, he did stop and looked over me since I was knocked out.

Last week, just as I crossed the bridge from Jersey into Philadelphia, I was waiting at a light at a three lane intersection. I was on the far left lane with a truck next to me in the middle lane. When the light turned green I eased into the lane. In hindsight I'm glad I wasn't heavy on the throttle as the truck next to me suddenly turned left, cutting in front of me on my right, causing me to make a a near panicked stop as I wailed on the horn. The driver didn't even slow or look my way, but just kept on going as if he'd done nothing wrong. The worse part was there was a police car in the intersection area. He did nothing.

Save up if you can, and get some armor. It's worth it.

-Wolf

scooterdad2324

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 03:12:22 AM »
Great advice wolf and I'm glad you are healing up and you are OK from your last close call. Armour is definitely on my list as soon as I can do it financially. Lol and maybe a much louder horn as well

scooterdad2324

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 03:15:59 AM »
And our local police department were of no help either since I didn't have the license plate number of the truck. I had a pretty good description of the truck but they told me that wasn't good enough

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 03:26:40 PM »
I wonder if a thread should be started on the worse kind of cagers to look out for -- truck drivers, bus driver, soccer moms, sports cars, etc. ... .
Not sure if it's me, but for some reason BMW cagers tend to tail gate, cut in front of me and act as a--hat Landsharks the most. Something about the brand tends to make the drivers self-righteous and arrogant.

-Wolf

scooterdad2324

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 10:22:14 PM »
Amen. And yea we ought to start some kind of thread on here about that. I live in sulphur springs Texas. That's close to Dallas Texas and drivers up here suck

scooterdad2324

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 05:05:08 AM »
Almost got taken out again today all because some damn lady couldn't wait to answer that dang phone call when she could stop. Hell no. She has to answer right away and dang near put her bumper on the front of my scooter as a dang hood ornament. People please stay off the damn phones and watch the road. Not just for my safety but for the safety of everyone else.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 05:25:55 AM »
Scooterdad the successful riders in my opinion avoid heavy trafficked roads. Luck and prayer helps. Only you can decide. I'm still good at 54 and willing to take the chance. There's 3 wheelers you can choose from and still ride..........good luck.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 01:06:31 PM »
Hmmmm... only hit and run I was in was with a cager on 18 wheels.  :P
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()