Author Topic: Question regarding bolts for securing top case rack  (Read 2032 times)

daybeau

• View Profile
Question regarding bolts for securing top case rack
« on: August 06, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »
Does anyone have experience securing a Shad top case rack to the luggage shelf on the back of a GV250? I should have realized something may have been up when the seller sold me the scooter last fall with the top case and rack unmounted. Anyway, after a bit of a struggle, I was able to mount the thing. Now, it seems that at some point during my commute (@ ~50mph for 30 miles each way) the two rear bolts (that also hold the passenger seat back to the frame) loosen up and jump ship. (The first time they disappeared, I thought the shop where I had some work done neglected to put them back because they are such a pain to get lined up right. Now, I owe them an apology.)

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep replacement bolts (that I have just ordered from www.kymcopartsmonster.com) in place? I'm thinking of trying to lather 'em up with some clear silicon caulk--something that should help keep the bolts in place while being easy to peel off when necessary.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:03:13 AM by daybeau »
2009 KYMCO Grandvista 250 white (only mod besides the top case is some JB Weld trying to hold the left mirror mount together)

ScooterLar

• View Profile
Re: Question regarding bolts for securing top case rack
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »
Loctite
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 10:15:48 PM »
lock tight it is !!!      locktite blue for things that will be removed ,.    and locktite red for things that will break bolts before it can come off

daybeau

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 03:22:12 AM »
Many thanks to both of you.
Now, I know just what to do.
To Lowe's I'll go for something new,
A shiny tube of Loctite Blue.
2009 KYMCO Grandvista 250 white (only mod besides the top case is some JB Weld trying to hold the left mirror mount together)

doublej

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 02:29:19 PM »
Ny-lock nuts with washers

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 03:52:34 PM »
Tole ya there was talent here! Daybeau is proof!

JJ, actually Loctite works better and more reliably than Nyloc nuts but you will never convince any A&P of that.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 07:12:00 PM »
Tole ya there was talent here! Daybeau is proof!

JJ, actually Loctite works better and more reliably than Nyloc nuts but you will never convince any A&P of that.

Karl

I think both work well but I prefer loctite because it is cheap and converts your existing hardware in vibration resistant without having to go and buy nylon or ny-lock nuts.  Also, many nuts may be OEM or special and there is no ny-lock version available to purchase. 

Also, for my top case I mounted the largest top case that Givi makes but the GV's rack is too small so I put a pieces of OSB wood (like plywood) but stands up to weather better.  I applied primer and paint to help keep out moisture.  It has worked great for 4+ years and 15K miles. 

Here are my pictures for my inexpensive and durable custom wood mount for my Givi Top case:

http://www.wecandobetter.com/dnload/Grandvista/

PaulC

doublej

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 01:34:16 PM »
Hello, ever heard of metric Nyloks? Easy to obtain even at the dreaded Harbor Freight. Easy and fast way is blue locktite but do you carry it with you for any unfortunate tear downs on the side of the road etc.
By the way what is a A&P. Crossbolt enlighten me!

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 03:28:47 PM »
I  thought it was "Airframe & Powerplant"  Somebody who usually goes to school to fix Aircraft.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()