Author Topic: 450i MXU Stalling  (Read 19612 times)

Oldfriend

• View Profile
Re: 450i MXU Stalling
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 12:51:32 AM »
Fulton is way north of me. We're 20 minutes outside NYC and have 35 acres in Ulster with a small trailer on it as my get away on the weekends. Was in the Outer Banks last October for a week. We love the Carolinas and plan on retiring in the Charleston, SC area in hopefully 10 years. I sure hope your right and it's cured. I have 16 miles on it now and I do think breaking it in has a lot to do with it. Will find out soon. Heading up Saturday for the day as it's suppose to rain in the evening and it's no fun sitting in a trailer!

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 03:10:16 AM »
Outer Banks is maybe 2-2.5 hours from me. My oldest, here from Denver, lived in Brooklyn for a year. I think she really enjoyed the experience. I visited her once and enjoyed my trip. Country came to town, lol! Sounds like you have a nice vacation retreat and a good plan for Saturday! What's a little ran when you have a four wheeler, right??
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2004 Mongoose 90 (grandson's)
2010 Grizzly 450

Oldfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 11:53:04 PM »
I was able to shrink a couple of photo's. I'll try and take out for a good ride on the street so I can get it up to a good speed. They don't bother you up there. I don't have any real trails on my place so the going is slow but a lot of fun!

Oldfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 11:54:46 PM »
Haven't used the winch yet

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 03:49:06 AM »
I like the camo. looks real good. They had a 2015 with a sold tag on it when I picked my black one up. I wouldn't have gotten black except for the leftover, discount part. It shows every little scratch. Enjoy your weekend. Hope you don't need the winch!!
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

Oldfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 11:15:40 PM »
Turned out to be a nice weekend, I spent the night. I put 3 miles on it, though the woods and on the road and no stalling! I know your going to think im a pessimist, but I not prepared to say it's cured. Maybe one more ride. I am happy it appears to be. Still thinking of new tires and wheels. Any brand that you like? So far I'm liking STI wheels. Tires are a whole different matter. So much to choose from and it's not looks that matter (like the wheels) it's function and wear. Also, I have the tires inflated at 12 psi. They are rated for 35 max. Seem perfect at 12. Whats your opinion?

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 01:14:26 AM »
Rookie at this myself.Right at 4lbs. is recommended. I do think that pure trail riding you will have better traction at 4. If you drive on grass, such as your yard, higher pressure causes less damage. I think I am currently running 6lbs in both our four wheelers. I suggest you try that and see what you think. You will have a softer ride and more traction compared to 12lbs. My granddaughter's four wheeler I have all the way down to 3.5lbs to improve the teeth jarring ride on her little Chinese 110.

Have not owned four wheelers long enough to form an opinion about tires much. Ones I have been thinking about somewhat are the Carlisle Badlands XTR. They are radials, 3 ply, and fairly light. They also seem a little expensive. You would need the 205/80 and 255/65 to up one size. I would be careful about 6 ply or 8 ply tires unless you are really concerned about punctures. They are considerably heavier tires. I man a couple of hours from me is selling a nearly new set for a good discount, wants a more swamp, heavy lugged mud tire. I am seriously considering making the ride if he would meet me part way next week. At the same time I can't say the Kenda tires they come with are bad. Kind of prefer them over the Maxxis that come on the Yamaha.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

Oldfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 01:13:31 AM »
I looked around a bit myself and 4 or 5 lbs seems to be popular. I'm not sure I got an accurate read on the gague because it's the standard pressure gauge I use on my truck and it seems that to get a more precise reading you need a low pressure gauge which I just ordered from Amazon. The tires do seem a bit hard though.

The Kenda tires that are on it are 6 ply I believe. Puncture resistance is a concern being that my place is in the moutains with no real trails and lots of sharp rocks and broken tree branches. They also seem to be resonable in price. Thanks for the feed back once again.

You had mentioned in a prvious post that we seem to be a rare few with the 450i MXU, your absolutely right, little info out there on our machines. Haven't found anything with anyone with a 2015 machine. Seems that a lot of people mistakenly think the Kymco's are Chinese. There's a world of difference between Chinese and Taiwan. My backround is manufacturing and I'm very much involved with importing parts from around the world. Taiwan quality is far superior to Chinese and costs considerably more. Just my two cents!

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 02:48:28 AM »
Your Kymco should have a low pressure gauge in the tool kit under the seat. You are correct that right many think it is the same as a Hisun, Qlink and such. It surely is not. I use to be into astronomy pretty big and Taiwan scopes almost always tested far superior to any Chinese scope in lens figure and mechanics. I really like the width and overall size of the 450.

Mine seemed reluctant to go into gear sometimes. Especially reverse. I adjusted the shifting linkage and now with 46 miles it shifts from gear to gear so smooth. I think they just need a good breaking in to mesh everything together. My oldest daughter's boyfriend flew in from Colorado for the my youngest daughter's wedding. I let him try out the Grizzly for a couple of miles and them the Kymco for a 15-20 minutes. He said he much preferred the Kymco too! Time will tell but I really don't think either of us will regret our purchase.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

Oldfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 10:45:51 PM »
I forgot all about the gauge in the tool kit! Well the one I bought is the dial type which I like better then the stick type anyway. I'm going to try going down to 5 psi this weekend and try it.  I really like the overall size and width too, it's one of the things that sold me on it. It felt more managable to me, especially since I had never rode one at that time.

I had (still have a bit) the same problem of it being hard to go into gear, especially reverse. Wasn't
(isn't) too bad and never even thought of ajusting the linkage. Did that seem to help any? I just thought that is was because it was new. The stalling issue is what really concerned me mostly because I was worried it might get worse and possibly do it while riding which could be dangerous. I doubt either of us will regret our purchases either. They way I look at it is, I wasn't going to spend more on one so I would have done without, unless I happen to stumble onto a used machine that I felt I could trust for a decent price. I did look around a bit, but you really never know what your getting.

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 12:54:17 AM »
Reverse was the worse on mine. Seemed like when hot and after being in low range a while it might take two or three attempts to get into reverse. It would indicate it but acted like it was in neutral. I disconnected the shifting rod (if that is what it is called) and looked at it in relationship to how the holes lined up on the shifting handle when in reverse. It was nearly one third the width of the hole off. Adjusted the rod until the holes lined up and locked the lock nuts. That cured the reverse issue on mine, miles took care of the notchy shifting into the rest of the gears. Mine was probably a one off on the reverse alignment.

Another thing I have noticed is it seems to be better on gas compared to the Grizzly. Even considering the slightly larger gas tank. I guess that is due to fuel injection? The Grizzly is tuned up with new plug, air filter and valves recently adjusted by me. Originally I considered them to ride the same. But in hind sight the Kymco rides better and has been confirmed by my two test riders. When I originally got it I forgot the tires were overinflated to around 10 lbs. each when I did my first ride test. Now it and the Grizzly are both at 6#. I would go down to 4# if it wasn't for my yard. Sometimes when the two older grand kids are on their fourwheelers my youngest {4 yo) wants to ride too, so I ride her around. I am really loving the Kymco right now. Rained 3.1" this afternoon. I might bust out on my woods trail in the morning and see how muddy the low spots are. It already needs a bath bad due to dusty conditions so it couldn't look any worse.

You are correct, the Kenda tires are 4 ply. I am suppose to meet the man Friday afternoon about the Carlisle Badland XT tires.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

Oldfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 08:44:33 PM »
I'm acually up at my place now. I dropped the PSI in the tires down to 6. Like the feel much better. Will drop it down to 5 tomorrow and take it for another ride. It did stall once when going from N into H, soon as I hit the throttle it shut off. I'm not that disappointed though. I'm willing to accept it maybe a break in issue as others claimed. It's the first stall in 3 rides totalling about 7 miles. Thats a lot for my woods with no trails. I did notice my shifting is very smooth now. I went a head and bought new tires and wheels from Rockey Mountain ATV. I went with the same Kenda Bear Claw tires but in 25" and STI Bead Lock Rims in Matte Black. Should have them Tuesday. Get your tires today?

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2015, 01:17:23 AM »
Had got into the truck to leave and I thought, maybe I best call to confirm, his wife had sold them to a coworker. Thank God I didn't drive all the way up there for nothing. I think for right now maybe that is a sign. I bought the Grizzly the first of this year, two of my grandchildren used four wheelers also and recently the Kymco. Maybe I best stop for just a little and ride the new tires that are on it.

Hope you like your new wheels and tires. They coming already installed on the rims?

I decided to go ahead and change fluids on mine the other day. She had rolled over 50 miles. The front and rear differential drain plugs are a major pain to get back in with the skid plate installed. Had some leftover Redline 75-90 from my Moto Guzzi so I used it up, only took a pint for both differentials. Used Royal Purple 15w-40 for the engine. Walmart close to me was closing it out for $20 a gallon about 6 months ago. It really is purple, lol! All the plugs are magnetic, don't see that much anymore.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

Oldfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2015, 10:09:35 PM »
The tires will come installed on the rims. Was it Grizzly or the Kymco you changed the fluids on? When I bring mine home this winter I paln on changing mine and I'm curious how much of a pain it might be.

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2015, 12:53:25 AM »
The Kymco got the oil change. Fairly easy oil change, easy access to the oil filter on front of engine. Drain plug is off center to the right and has an access hole for it. Differentials are not to bad. Next time I might drop the front and rear of the skid plate. Only reason I did the differentials is because I already had a piece of a quart of Redline in the barn. No more than they hold I might just change them out every oil change.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()