Author Topic: The "Spread" between dealer and private sale...  (Read 1410 times)

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
The "Spread" between dealer and private sale...
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:35:09 PM »
I've been riding for over 45 years. Being infected with the "Sickness" I have owned well over 40 two wheel vehicles. About two thirds were bought from the dealerships (half used and half new); with the remaining dozen or so private purchase. I have never owned more than one ride at a time, so there has been a lot of private sales in the mix.

I have never seen the "Spread" (dealer's margin & range) as large as it currently is now. The add-on fees to arrive at over inflated out the door figures have never been higher. The money being offered for bikes by dealers (mostly on trades, but some outright purchases) is half of what the dealers are selling the used product for. That BS of "This bike has been inspected and fully serviced" is nonsense (I have seen a bike with a screw sticking out of the treads in the front tire on the front line of a shop last week). Dealers aren't even washing some of the items they take in. Given the internet advertising you would think it might have brought some parity of price (obviously save for overhead & profit the dealer must be mindful of). But there is now even a greater difference between the private market and the deal's market.

It took until my sixties; but I believe I have learned. I will suffer through the process of the private sale and or acquisition of any future vehicles. I simply will not submit to be taken advantage of at this level. If I were in a home with a larger garage I would consider placing some ads for "bikes wanted"... The dealers are beating up the sellers so badly that I believe there would be room for a "bike broker hobby-store" to flourish...

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: The "Spread" between dealer and private sale...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 01:29:53 PM »
Some of the people on this forum have had to tie me down because of my ranting about dealers. The economics are affecting businesses where the focus is more on the "money" rather than the customer. This is short-sighted and very common. We, on the other hand, expect different. Please review some of the really tall stories folks on this forumhave been told by dealers. That goes with the outrageous add-ons you mentioned.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 01:35:34 PM »
If a used scoot is worth $3k if Joe's Honda is selling it then it's worth that much if I sell it. Why the F does Joe get to make more money, I call BS. Trade in value I can see, a dealer is a reseller and needs to make a profit. That price is negotiable on the trade in and the purchase vehicle price. If I'm selling a vehicle and some yahoo pulls that private party value vs dealer value BS he can hit the road, I have no qualms saying so.

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 03:12:16 PM »
IMO, there's no difference between the markup that a motorcycle dealer charges versus the markup that car/truck dealers charge. Take a look at your local car dealer's "certified" used cars and compare those prices to comparable private party sales.....there's a huge difference.....sometimes as much as 50%.

I live in NJ where the riding season is relatively short. Generally speaking, motorcycle dealers only have about 6-7 months of the year to sell their new and used inventory. As such, they need to make as much money as possible (within reason) to keep their dealerships alive during the lean months of the year. I'm not justifying how much more they charge than private parties, but they do incur substantial overhead to keep their dealerships afloat during the non-riding season and have to reflect that in their pricing. It's not easy being an independent motorcycle dealership.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:28:00 PM by ScooterLar »
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 10:39:31 PM »
Boohoo, certified my a++. If a certified vehicle is so trustworthy why don't they back it up with a certified free warranty? Answer is: certified doesn't mean diddly squat. If Joe the dealer's Honda is worth 3 grand then ScooterLars Honda is too. Just saying both are comparable in miles and condition. Your belief that something is worth more because of certain conditions or some folks have different liabilities is liberal brainwashing at its best........nothing personal here just debating this subject.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 10:43:52 PM »
Besides most dealers are just one step above of SCUM of the EARTH. I have no sympathy for dealers. If they can't stay in business by being honest and not screwing the ignorant let them die.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 11:23:12 AM »
Besides most dealers are just one step above of SCUM of the EARTH. I have no sympathy for dealers. If they can't stay in business by being honest and not screwing the ignorant let them die.

Survival of the fittest is just fine.
Good dealers flourish big time down here. All others tend to die off.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()