Author Topic: New belt needed ? Z-man? B&L ?  (Read 3087 times)

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
New belt needed ? Z-man? B&L ?
« on: July 20, 2015, 10:24:53 PM »
Anyone else have to replace a belt at 5,000 miles ? Dealer tells me that it was out of adjustment and 'chattering/squeal' I heard was bike taking off in 2nd gear, rather than first ?Should this have been caught at last years 'servicing? Noticed squeal/chatter not long after that .

Going to cost me 650-700 dollars for 36 month servicing ( according to Service Manual)  Excepting $188.00 for belt , an air filter,& oil filter it is mostly labor ( I'm guessing removal of panels,etc.) .

Still seems a bit much.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: New belt needed ? Z-man? B&L ?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 12:02:25 AM »
Wow that's insanely expensive. There is no real "adjustment" in the CVT at all. Chattering comes from a small amount of grease / oil on the clutch and bell (usually from the final drive weeping slightly), squealing comes from a slightly aged belt, but I've had new ones make noise so you cant base it strictly on that. A full service on your bike shouldn't be more than $200 including the oil and disposal etc. Do you have rollers or Dr. Pulley sliders? If the sliders flip sideways it will feel like it's taking off in 2nd gear. I base belt replacement off two factors, the width measured in MM (ask them what the width is) and age related wear such as cracks or a shiny "glazing" on the belt. I would get a second opinion at a different shop, that's insanely expensive unless they quoted you for other stuff, tire etc. Not much needed at 5000mi, spark plug, engine oil, gear oil, and maybe valves if your tryin' to be like STIG. Keep us posted on what happens.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

spikebites

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 05:38:43 AM »
wow seriously 600-700$?  that worries me a lot.  Is there a way to prevent what happened to you from happening to everyone?  I have yet to take my bike in for maintenance.  I'm about to change my own oil at 3k miles, and so far so good.  Should I check the belt as well for any wear/damage or whatever it is you are experiencing?

please keep us posted about this.  I don't want to have to expect a $600 service cost later on. 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 02:40:07 PM »
First? Second gear? On a Downtown? Am I missing something or misunderstanding? 5000 miles and the belt needs replacing? This is either nonsense or something is VASTLY WRONG and is a warranty issue. The prices are horrendously out of line. Especially the belt. This dealer is trying to take you for a ride! These bums are like MD's.

Karl

Please understand my tirade is NOT directed either to or at you. Your dealer is dishonorable and it just FRIES MY A$$!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 07:59:55 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
before you do anything
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 04:07:12 PM »
find yourself another shop and or mechanic.
Someone is trying to break one off in you. BIG TIME!
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 10:17:55 PM »
Wow that's insanely expensive. There is no real "adjustment" in the CVT at all. Chattering comes from a small amount of grease / oil on the clutch and bell (usually from the final drive weeping slightly), squealing comes from a slightly aged belt, but I've had new ones make noise so you cant base it strictly on that. A full service on your bike shouldn't be more than $200 including the oil and disposal etc. Do you have rollers or Dr. Pulley sliders? If the sliders flip sideways it will feel like it's taking off in 2nd gear. I base belt replacement off two factors, the width measured in MM (ask them what the width is) and age related wear such as cracks or a shiny "glazing" on the belt. I would get a second opinion at a different shop, that's insanely expensive unless they quoted you for other stuff, tire etc. Not much needed at 5000mi, spark plug, engine oil, gear oil, and maybe valves if your tryin' to be like STIG. Keep us posted on what happens.

Thanks, B&L. I think they said that teeth were missing on belt. Everything on bike is original ( Rollers? ) .

They ARE doing the 36 month( 18000mile ) servicing, but- did NOT base belt on that.

Will get more info prior to picking it up.Can answer more ?s at that time.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
Re: before you do anything
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 10:22:54 PM »
find yourself another shop and or mechanic.
Someone is trying to break one off in you. BIG TIME!

Belt cost is $188.00 ( from Kymco ). I plan on questioning the high cost of labor.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 10:25:52 PM »
First? Second gear? On a Downtown? Am I missing something or misunderstanding? 5000 miles and the belt needs replacing? This is either nonsense or something is VASTLY WRONG and is a warranty issue. The prices are horrendously out of line. Especially the belt. This dealer is trying to take you for a ride! These bums are like MD's.

Karl

Please understand my tirade is NOT directed either to or at you. Your dealer is dishonorable and it just FRIES MY A$$!

These guys have worked well with me in the past. Even gave me a more powerful ( FREE) battery when I had starting issues with TWO of the original ones.

I want to give them benefit of the doubt, initially.  I plan on learning to do a lot of the yearly servicing myself .

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 10:28:07 PM »
Thanks to all for your advice. I will keep all updated.

Right now I am in school on Tue/Wed/Thur from 0830- 1630 for the next three ( 4 in all ) weeks, so posting may be delayed a bit.

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »
You should not need a belt replacing for a long time. In fact the dealer told me that it isnt uncommon to get 50,000-60,000 miles out of a belt. I have 25000 on my bike and still has original belt. I think there is another problem.  You can do all the maintenance yourself such as oil, tranny, air filter and plug replacement. And you can even do the valve adjustment with a manual and proper tools but that might be something left to a pro. But the other routine stuff is something you should do.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 03:46:03 PM »
What is the latest on this, Bluesin? Dyin' to hear how it worked out.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 06:51:15 PM »
You should not need a belt replacing for a long time. In fact the dealer told me that it isnt uncommon to get 50,000-60,000 miles out of a belt. I have 25000 on my bike and still has original belt. I think there is another problem.  You can do all the maintenance yourself such as oil, tranny, air filter and plug replacement. And you can even do the valve adjustment with a manual and proper tools but that might be something left to a pro. But the other routine stuff is something you should do.

So untrue. Maybe the belt last 50,000 on a burgman or scooter with a "special" belt. But the Kymco scooters with standard style drive belts should be replace at or before the service interval, and with the 300cc engine it is 12,000mi. Why risk breaking a belt while out and about? It is not that expensive for peace of mind. You are chancing it with 25,000 on that belt, seriously. There's a chance that snapping a belt can lock up the clutch and skid the rear wheel and result in a crash if at high speeds (normally when belts break). Just my $.02 working on these bikes for 6 years.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 01:04:54 PM »
What is the latest on this, Bluesin? Dyin' to hear how it worked out.

Karl

Belt was worn enough to slip out of place,thus the taking off in wrong gear issue.

Overall cost ( at $75.00/hr. for labor ) was doing everything recommended at 36 month service.

Still some Squeal/grind noise ( occasionally) on takeoff when weather is hot, but- I had them document this in file. Haven't been able to ride much since getting it back ( readying to start first year of college ,after being out of school since mid-70's)... so will keep an ear on it. Goodnewsis, due to my Advanced EMT training at said college, I start out with 12 credits and a 3.84 GPA !

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 01:25:14 AM »
Some of the other brands have pre-selectable "gears" ( first, second, etc) and continuous. Kymco only has continuous as far as I know. So this "gear" business is fertilized by ignorance of the dealer/tech. Further, it is a stretch to have a Kymco CVT malfunction within 5000 miles of being born. A big defect of manufacture. De dee had a belt way too long for his new DT300i which jacked his rpm but it worked. The point is, your bike is not right and YOUR DEALER IS NOT DOING ANYTHING but feeding you hot vapor as to what is wrong. I don't know what the belt size is in your machine is but it should be 1004 mm (pitch line length), 25 mm wide and 30 degree "V". These belt do not "slip" in the true sense of slip UNLESS SOMETHING IS WRONG! New Kymcos, in my multi-machine experience work well from the start, generally. Dealers, in my experience, have  cared less about anything after the sale and have REQUIRED KYMCO US INTERVENTION to get them to do ANYTHING. The Regional Sales Rep is you best friend in such situations. I get it you are busy with wrapping your old brain around finishing that degree ( good for you!) but you deserve better treatment. There should be NO SQUEALING OR GRINDING IN A NEW MACHINE!

PS: I am opinionated and gruff on some issues I feel about strongly. I am angry at dealers that treat customers like idle morons. I WILL concede a badly worn belt will change the beginning RATIO. Beyond that my tirade is still directed to the dealer not you, the customer.

Karl

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 12:34:34 AM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 09:19:27 PM »

I just cleaned my variator and checked my belt and sliders did everything in a 1/2 hr.,,with two assemblies to check for noise,.  I do have all the tools though,. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()