Author Topic: 2007 People 2T with 600 miles  (Read 6343 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Re: 2007 People 2T with 600 miles
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 02:58:03 AM »
I got my jets from jetsrus.  The aftermarket main jets work well, but not the idle jets (would not run, if look close, orifice is not the same shape).  After buying one aftermarket idle jet, which gave me a lot of trouble, I bought the OEM Keihin and they worked well.  Don't expect jetsrus to accept any returns.

I have Tecnigas Next-R pipe on my 2005 People 50 2T, pod air filter, Malossi variator, and re-jetted carb 105 main, 45 idle.  My elevation approx 1000' and hot, so Denver will take smaller jets, not that much IMO.  Mine may be a little rich, now that it's summer hot.  I would be rather be too rich, I run my WOT for long stretches.  Runs like a champ, a very nice riding scooter, I love it.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Bravin Neff

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 04:34:16 AM »
Chaz35, what kind of speed do you see at WOT? And how long does it take you to get there? Thanks.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 07:45:32 PM »
Goes approx 1/4" past 50mph/ 80k, doesn't take very long to get there.  I ride with my son-n-law who had Super 8 150 and now has Honda PCX 150.  I am down on top speed, but don't have any trouble staying with him, unless we get on roads where he goes 50+.

The Malossi variator is huge improvement, I highly recommend it.

I recently got BBK for it.  I don't expect it to go much faster, but should maintain speed going up hills and into the wind a little better.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 04:34:24 PM »
I've run another tank of gas through it and it keeps running a bit better.  Adjusted the idle mixture and speed and that's helped low speed performance.

Still need to clean the carb but can tell the Seafoam is gradually helping.
Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »
I've run another tank of gas through it and it keeps running a bit better.  Adjusted the idle mixture and speed and that's helped low speed performance.

Still need to clean the carb but can tell the Seafoam is gradually helping.

Thought it was running better.  Yesterday on my commute home it died three times.  It was very hot out. The first time it died was after sitting idling in traffic for several minutes.  When I gave it gas it just stopped.  Had to choke it to get it restarted.

Second time was after coming up a hill for about a quarter mile I rolled up to a stop light and let off the gas and then back on as the light turned green and it died again.

Did the same thing one more time as I cruised through my neighborhood.  I would let off the gas as I went through an intersection and then when I throttled back up it died.

It was about 90 degrees out so it was hot.  It ran fine in the cool morning on the way to work.

I pulled the plug today and after less than 100 miles on it it has some carbon build up on it.  Half of it is pretty white and half of it has black on it. 

Driving symptoms seem to be pointing to rich running.  Just haven't had time to open the carb up yet and see what I've got.  Going to have to stop driving it until I get it fixed.  Unsafe to have it die when I'm going through an intersection.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 11:33:13 PM »
 ;D  Proud of myself for thinking of a test since the plug color/condition and riding results are giving mixed messages.

I covered about 20% of the intake snorkel with electrical tape.  I figured if the scoot was running lean, this would help it run a little better and if the scooter was running rich, this would make it run a lot worse.

It ran quite a bit better.  Picked up a couple of mile per hour even coming up small hills.  Did some long full throttle slightly uphill runs to make sure it was good an hot and it ran strong.

So that means it is running lean and maybe just cleaning the carb will fix it.  At worst, I'll have to buy a larger jet.

Was only hitting about 42 mph on the flat. WIth the tape on I was hitting 50 on a very slight downhill and 42 on a slight uphill.  THink I'll like the speed once it's jetted properly.

Then I can add a pipe and upgrade the variator.  8)

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 03:01:04 AM »
Good trouble shoot test for carb jetting.  Yes, once you get it running right should be a very nice ride.  Cheers

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 04:07:25 PM »
I checked the plug again and it looks a little rich definitely not lean.  I turned the low speed air screw one quarter turn more rich and now everything seems very good.

I pulled the variator off and replaced the stock 8.5 gram roller with 6 gram rollers and now it accelerates better out of intersections and slow speed corners and goes up the hills around my house anywhere from 2 to 5 mph faster.

I'm liking the scoot.  This fall I can budget for a better exhaust and then I'll be super liking it. Right now around town I regularly am riding at 42 -45 mph on the speedo, about 35-40 actual.  That's exactly what I need.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 12:12:58 AM »
The attached photo is the jet the 2T People carb needs. Many places sell them, including the jetsrus business in the watermark, just make sure you get the correct dimensions.

Do you know which needle (slow jet) the People 50 uses?

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 02:59:07 PM »
Hello mclark, needle is not slow jet, and generally is not adjustable.  wordslinger has a thread how he adjusted his, so possible.  There may be needles available for the carb, but I don't know which one, or if it would work.  I plan to measure mine at some point and search for equivalent size that has adjustment grooves.  I think OEM carb needle for our Keihin carbs is designed to be nonadjustable.

I order from jetsrus, slow jet is N424-74C.  I had a problem with equivalent OEM slow jet, so I recommend spending the extra $'s for Genuine Keihin slow jets.  The equvalent OEM main jets seem to work well, so I save a few $'s there.

Here is link to slow jet  https://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/jets_keihin_N424-74C_slow_27-xxx.htm

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 10:45:24 PM »
Hello mclark, needle is not slow jet, and generally is not adjustable.  wordslinger has a thread how he adjusted his, so possible.  There may be needles available for the carb, but I don't know which one, or if it would work.  I plan to measure mine at some point and search for equivalent size that has adjustment grooves.  I think OEM carb needle for our Keihin carbs is designed to be nonadjustable.

I order from jetsrus, slow jet is N424-74C.  I had a problem with equivalent OEM slow jet, so I recommend spending the extra $'s for Genuine Keihin slow jets.  The equvalent OEM main jets seem to work well, so I save a few $'s there.

Here is link to slow jet  https://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/jets_keihin_N424-74C_slow_27-xxx.htm

Thanks - That's what I'll order when I order the new exhaust.

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM 16mm carburetor

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()