Author Topic: The Bendix and the Air filter problems????  (Read 1818 times)

emanuel_v19

• View Profile
The Bendix and the Air filter problems????
« on: June 26, 2015, 05:12:09 PM »
Hello all,

So i was replacing the belt and rollers and what not and removed what was needed to be removed. When i put everything back i started hearing this ticking noise in the CVT. I assumed it was the bendix thanks to my prior research on here with knowledgeable people like you guys. So i decided to remove the bendix and see if that was the culprit of the problem. Turned out it was. The ticking noise was gone. However, i would like to have the electric start since im using all kickstart right now (and it kinda sucks because the kickstand doesnt retract to its original position, maybe something is broken? spring? it was working good for about 5 kicks then it stopped retracting) This being said, what can be wrong with it? broken bendix? it was working fine untill i opened it up to install the new parts. Here are some links to the bendix pics. Not sure if they will be any helpful.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25146305@N06/19174437432/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25146305@N06/18557698164/in/dateposted-public/

Also,  i opened up the air filter compartment to check it out and i noticed its just a foam filter. Seems like the previous owner bout some foam and cut it out to fit the shape. I have attached the link to the picture? Should i go buy a OEM filter? or should i just clean and re-use this one?  Thanks!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25146305@N06/19153761696/in/dateposted-public/

Please let me know what you guys think! thank you all.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: The Bendix and the Air filter problems????
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 05:48:46 PM »
Get the correct air filter. The one you have will cause the engine to run rich. It blocks too much air.

For the electric start bendix, there is a thrust washer that belongs between the case, and the nose shaft. It is a very thin stainless washer.
Also it is easy to clean the bendix with PB blaster sprayed inside to be sure it retracts fully. WD 40 will work but just for a short while.

The kicker... Either the spring on the kicker broke OR one of the pins that hold the spring on the case.

I would also take the variator back off, and reinstall it. Make SURE the belt is away from the center shaft when you tighten it back up. The belt will force the pulley sideways, and that will make it "tick" on the bendix.
Also Use BLUE Lok Tite on the big nut. They come loose all the time.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

MN_Scoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 03:46:28 PM »
the kickstand doesnt retract to its original position, maybe something is broken? spring? it was working good for about 5 kicks then it stopped retracting) This being said, what can be wrong with it? broken bendix? it was working fine untill i opened it up to install the new parts.

I had the same problem with the kickstarter and thought for sure something was broken. When I opened it up, everything was fine. I just needed to clean out the kickstart pinion gear and the channel where it spins. I also put in some all purpose grease between the two. After that, worked like new.
2007 Kymco Agility 50
Stock other than Dr. Pulley Sliders and derestricted from the dealer.

emanuel_v19

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 04:50:38 AM »
Add some wd-40 too?

MN_Scoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 03:53:56 PM »
Add some wd-40 too?

You could clean the area with WD and then wipe it up well, but I wouldn't combine the two as the WD will break down the grease.
2007 Kymco Agility 50
Stock other than Dr. Pulley Sliders and derestricted from the dealer.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 03:59:27 PM »
WD-40 sucks, use white lithium spray grease.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 08:26:25 PM »
WD is OK for cleaning a part but not protecting or lubricating it for any length of time. It evaporates, and is gone.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()