Author Topic: less than a week old, and it's not running  (Read 2507 times)

ad_astra

• View Profile
less than a week old, and it's not running
« on: June 24, 2015, 10:42:25 PM »
The Agility started idling low today. I could not find any loose lines. It has fuel, not a full tank, but it has fuel. Died on me at a red light and could not get it started again. Battery is fine. It just turns over. Walked it back to my job where I could lock it up. Hopefully the warranty will pay for the tow. I'll travel tomorrow so I can't do anything with it right now, but problem this quick surprised me. Buyers remorse has me wishing I'd shelled out another $1000 for the Zuma 125 now, but what's done is done
2014 Kymco Agility 125

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: less than a week old, and it's not running
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 12:04:44 AM »
Warranty does not cover towing. And most likely the dealer did not clean your carb. Tell them you want them to go through the entire carb and make sure it's not plugged up. Not much else it would be on a new bike.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 12:59:12 AM »
Agreed. Not a big deal, and the Zuma is just as prone to dealer issues.

While you are there... Have them tighten the exhaust, and it's shield. Tell them it rattled (because it will). Ask them to put lock washers under the shield bolts, and locktight on the muffler mounting bolts.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ad_astra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 04:34:05 AM »
I cleaned the carb a bit, not wanting to pay for a tow, added 100% gasoline, as i dont know what they had in the tank, and it fired up.

then promptly put it down in a curve. someone said they saw the kickstand down when I went on the curb. thankfully the gloves saved my hands. I can glue the turn signal back on. The motor ran wel afterwords, though. I did get it home. Still, I was stupid.

I take it there is no kickstand safety switch on this model?
2014 Kymco Agility 125

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 09:31:29 AM »
I can't laugh because I do the same about once a week.

I start chatting with someone, and ride off to the first left... Bang...

Glad you sorted the issue tho.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ad_astra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 04:26:05 AM »
yeah, nothing worse than a sprained wrist.
2014 Kymco Agility 125

MN_Scoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 03:36:42 PM »
Warranty does not cover towing. And most likely the dealer did not clean your carb. Tell them you want them to go through the entire carb and make sure it's not plugged up. Not much else it would be on a new bike.

Just curious, do dealers ever clean carbs on a brand new bike? I've heard of some kind of material that keeps the float from jostling too much in transit, but then harmlessly dissolves once gasoline is introduced. Do dealers sometime clean a brand new carb to get rid of that? Otherwise, can't imagine why they would clean a brand new carb especially with how small I imagine the margins would be on entry-level bikes.
2007 Kymco Agility 50
Stock other than Dr. Pulley Sliders and derestricted from the dealer.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 08:37:51 PM »
All the engines are test fired, and have gas in them. Some of these bikes can sit for three years on the showroom floor, and the fuel goes bad.
Even just a few months is too long with modern fuel.

As far as dissolving float holders... no. Never heard of anything even close.

Every GOOD dealer should maintain fresh fuel, oil in their inventory. No question about it. The bike should be test ridden at least five miles to verify for BOTH parties that the bike is 100% ready to go.
How many dealers do this??? You tell me.

ad_astra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 05:20:49 PM »
Arm is out of the wrist brace and I am riding again. Had to glue the turn signal lights back on. It's running fine. I think the 100% gas and carb cleaner may have done the trick, until my first scheduled service.
2014 Kymco Agility 125

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 12:36:00 AM »
Glad to hear you'r healing up.

I'd throw that kickstand in the nearest river.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()