Author Topic: Tall riders  (Read 3409 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Tall riders
« on: June 23, 2015, 04:57:40 PM »
Hi,

I've been doing some research into a new scooter. One of the things I've heard about the DT is that it's not a good bike for tall riders. I don't consider myself tall -- 5'11, but some of the online reviews I've heard were from one person who is 5'10 and felt uncomfortable after riding over an hour, and another rider, who is 5'6, found the bike perfect for her.

Any thoughts?

-Wolf

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
The floor board on
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 09:02:45 PM »
The downtown foot position is a little awkward. At least for me it is. 32" inseam.
Shorter riders usually prefer the downtown because it sits closer to the ground and are willing to put up with the foot position. You will get used to it with time.
If you prefer more leg room and a better foot position, consider the gti300.

PS.       the seats on a lot of scooters and motorcycles leave a lot to be desired.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 02:13:58 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

kneeslider

• View Profile
Re: Tall riders
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 01:05:22 AM »
It's all subjective.

I am 5'10", and she has enough leg room for me. Note that I also used to ride superbikes, motards & nakeds. So from that perspective, scooters are like lounge chairs. 
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 01:16:02 PM »
Boo and Kneeslider (BTW -- awesome name!),

Thanks for the feedback. I was sitting on a DT at a dealership and it felt comfortable. I did like the lower ground position a little better, though I'll have to see how it would affect my ability to see above cars. I could see fairly well on my Yager. I think my wife would like the feel of the DT better as she felt unstable trying to hold up my Yager.

-Wolf

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 11:23:10 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. I was sitting on a DT at a dealership and it felt comfortable. I did like the lower ground position a little better, though I'll have to see how it would affect my ability to see above cars. I could see fairly well on my Yager. I think my wife would like the feel of the DT better as she felt unstable trying to hold up my Yager.

-Wolf

Compared to the DT the Yager is a NBA player! That's a tall "small" scoot.
You're making the switch from sport scoot to cruiser. If you ever do any two-up the back is about as big as it gets on the DT.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 07:18:28 PM »
That made me think of something else. As a cruiser, one lower to the ground, does the DT have a wider turning radius? Not that I do lots of 'U' or high speed turns, but how does it respond to counter steering. How low can you go?

-Wolf

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 01:19:03 AM »
That made me think of something else. As a cruiser, one lower to the ground, does the DT have a wider turning radius? Not that I do lots of 'U' or high speed turns, but how does it respond to counter steering. How low can you go?

-Wolf

Well, it is a scooter, and like all scooters, maneuverability is always ace.

And about counter steering, again it being a scooter, the rake and trial are on the lazy side, so do not expect it to fall on it's side, at the first push. All in all, it's not something to worry about.

Ground clearance on the DT single rider, i haven't managed to scrape anything yet, but two up it is easily possible.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 02:18:48 AM »

-Wolf

The pillion on the DT isn't as comfortable as one might think. Sure, it looks big and padded, but it's too side, I have had male friends and the wife complaining of cramping while riding pillion.

The seat is too wide plus the side pods forces your legs to open up, hence not being comfortable when trying to place your feet on the foot pads.

Also as the rider, the floor boards are wide, so if you're short, you will have to come off the seat when you come to a stop.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 03:04:10 AM »
Yeah, my wife is not happy with the back seat and how her feet feel on the foot pads. We're used to the switchblade footrest on the old Yager and a more narrow seat. It's my biggest strike against the DT so far.

I've been to my dealer twice, and both times because of battery issues the DT's seat couldn't open. I still haven't had a good look under the seat, but I've been encouraged by what I've heard.

-Wolf

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 01:03:05 AM »
Yeah, my wife is not happy with the back seat and how her feet feel on the foot pads. We're used to the switchblade footrest on the old Yager and a more narrow seat. It's my biggest strike against the DT so far.

I've been to my dealer twice, and both times because of battery issues the DT's seat couldn't open. I still haven't had a good look under the seat, but I've been encouraged by what I've heard.

-Wolf

The latch for the DT's seat is a mechanically operated, as in a physical cable, it should not have anything to do with the battery.

Also, the pillion seat issue might improve if you have the back rest installed?
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 01:35:44 AM »
I had made the same comment to the dealer about the seat, saying that it was a mechanical function on my Yager, but he insisted that it was related to the battery. Didn't make sense to me at the time, but I went with it. Whichever the case there seems to be a problem with that showroom model.

I'm hoping it's not the only model they have too. Would like to have some color options if possible,

-Wolf

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 01:04:13 AM »
The ONLY way the seat latch is linked to the battery is that if it's either side of the twin latches isn't 'locked down' properly, it will lit up the 'MET-IN' icon on the tacho dial.  But it should not affect how it opens or closes.

Perhaps you need to talk to another sales person.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 01:56:20 PM »
I talked the to dealership last friday and they said the seat is fixed. I tend to go with our points Kneeslider. I may see if I can use that issue to knock down the price, plus that fact that I'm buying their display model. Either that, or see if I can get a topcase installed .

I'm hoping to buy the Downtown tomorrow.

-Wolf

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 01:00:15 AM »
Display models are fine purchases, All they ever do is just let the odd person jump on board and peep around. Maybe an odd scratch here or there, but hey, it's meant to be used so those everyday wear & tear issues shouldn't be a problem anyways.

Congratulations on your purchase.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 02:23:24 AM »
Thanks,

Just go her today. Silver and Black. Gonna name her Easy.

-Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()