Author Topic: MXU 150 dies when put in drive or reverse  (Read 4674 times)

saboga

• View Profile
MXU 150 dies when put in drive or reverse
« on: June 16, 2015, 02:44:09 PM »
I'm helping a neighbor with her ATV problems, so I'm new to this vehicle and figured here would be a good place to start.  There is a previous thread with this exact same problem, but no indication what the solution was, so I'm reviving it to see if I get a little further along.

The electric starter button will not crank the engine, but it will will start fine with the kick starter.   I can short across the starter solenoid and the engine cranks and starts.  It runs well in neutral, but the instant you shift into drive or reverse, the engine dies.  It dies the instant the neutral light goes out, before the vehicle actually shifts into gear, so it seems like an electrical issue, not one related to the load on the engine.

Problem appeared suddenly.  She drove home and parked the vehicle and before she could turn the key off, the engine just died and then would not restart.  I removed the battery, recharged it, reconnected the cables, and it cranked normally one time, then nothing.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: MXU 150 dies when put in drive or reverse
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:40:18 PM »
It does sound electrical in nature. There is the left brake safety switch that could be bad. That will prevent the bike from cranking on the starter, and there could be a short going to the kill switch.

That's where I would start. If not a shorted kill switch... The CDI requires +12 volts with the key on. It could be the key switch is NOT providing that 12 volts but the neutral light is back-feeding that power.

Start with the brake/kill, and them the key switch.

Look thru this page...  http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=495.15   I THINK there is an MXU service manual w/ a wiring diagram. If not they are available on the web.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

saboga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 09:05:50 PM »
Thanks.  With your hints and a little more detective work it turns out that the left brake safety switch is the culprit.  If I disconnect it and short the wires together, it starts and shifts just fine.

I did discover that there is also a transmission switch somewhere that prevents it from cranking while in gear, but that seems to work OK.

Thanks again.

aaron8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 01:14:36 PM »
just want to add some info to this thread.

on the MXU 150 you must pull the brake in when you shift in to F or R. just a safety feature.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()