Author Topic: Maxi-Scooter vs Scooter  (Read 2780 times)

Super Scooter Guy

• View Profile
Maxi-Scooter vs Scooter
« on: May 26, 2015, 01:54:06 AM »
Maxi-Scooter vs Scooter. What is your preference?

Mscmkr

• View Profile
Re: Maxi-Scooter vs Scooter
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 07:19:00 AM »
For me I need at least 300cc. I want to be able to go on the freeway when I want to and not have to go slower than the flow of trafic. They also have great pickup off the line. Now I'm not exactly sure where the cutoff is between scooters and maxi scooters but I do much prefer a 300cc bike. I would not really want to go anywhere over 300cc. I have ridden a few larger scoots and they really were not for me. I test rode the My Rode and it felt a bit to heavy for me. It was a really nice bike but I could really feel that extra weight. My suggestion would be to go and test ride a few from both categories and pick the one that feels the best to you.

Good luck and ride safe, mscmkr

Jeopardy4100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 07:32:16 AM »
It really depends on the where and when I ride.  Long runs or highway cruising is made for a Maxi.  Country roads or city commuting, a nice 150 scoot is just right.  Currently riding a XC500 Ri, but I've had a Piaggio 50 & 150 Fly, Motobecane 50, Solex, Suzuki GS550, Honda 650 Nighthawk, BMW 1150R, and way back a Puch 250 GSG.  I just like the easy chair feel of the Xciting

NeoGenesisMax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 09:19:16 AM »
Maxi is loosely defined. I do not like maxi style. For example the Silverwing, My Road, and Downtown. Just a personal taste in style. But some might say my People is a maxi but I've never seen it that way. Although the 2015 TMax is one nice looking maxi. It may be the only maxi I really like.

karl utrecht

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 01:34:15 PM »
I've had quite a few scooters, ranging from Burgman 650s to a Bajaj 150, and practically everything in between.

When I was riding longer distances (250 - 1,800 miles) over highways the 600s and 650s were really preferred. Now that I very seldom get on the highways, except for rare occasions, the GT300 is really plenty. I also have a Yamaha Morphous 250 that is perfect for the smaller state and county roads my rides typically take.

I think the type of rides you normally take should be the determining factor, as well as weight (pushing a 600+ lb scooter around in a garage is really a son-of-a-gun) when you get to be my age (let's just say I'm well into my 70s)...lol!

I'm seriously considering a good 150cc scooter in the future just because of the type riding I've been doing. At my age speed and acceleration are not the biggest concerns I have, although I do like the acceleration of my GT300!

Karl U

mrmike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 11:08:10 PM »
I started off with a People 150 (after selling my Harley). I loved the scoot and had it for a year. I then took another part-time job that entailed a short commute on the interstate. The top speed  (59) of the 150 did not cut it, so I upgraded. I now have a GTI300 and for me it's perfect. It's light and nimble enough, will do 75+ with no problem, and I get about 68mpg. What's not to love?
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics.         

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 11:42:39 PM »
Different strokes for different folks
ALL STOCK

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 12:58:46 AM »
I've had quite a few scooters, ranging from Burgman 650s to a Bajaj 150, and practically everything in between.

When I was riding longer distances (250 - 1,800 miles) over highways the 600s and 650s were really preferred. Now that I very seldom get on the highways, except for rare occasions, the GT300 is really plenty. I also have a Yamaha Morphous 250 that is perfect for the smaller state and county roads my rides typically take.

I think the type of rides you normally take should be the determining factor, as well as weight (pushing a 600+ lb scooter around in a garage is really a son-of-a-gun) when you get to be my age (let's just say I'm well into my 70s)...lol!

I'm seriously considering a good 150cc scooter in the future just because of the type riding I've been doing. At my age speed and acceleration are not the biggest concerns I have, although I do like the acceleration of my GT300!

Karl U
Karl, I'd be interested in which 150 you decide on - if you make that move.
With your wealth of scootering experience - your choice would be very interesting.....and influential to all of us seniors who might be riding somewhat in your style, now or in the near future.
Thanks for posting,
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 07:54:17 AM »
Anyone considering a 150 should give the movie 150 a look. Lots of old new stock not selling so a great price should be had. 13.5 ponies pulls you up hills unlike other 150s. Front/rear disc, ample under seat storage, bright forward looking lights, Big led tail light, 2 gal tank, lots of leg room, plus it is 1 cool looking scoot.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
don't care for Maxi scoots
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 12:37:37 AM »
Unnecessarily heavy for every day all around use.

For me, I prefer the 300cc to 350cc class of scooters in the 370 lb. range.

A scoot with 35-40 hp in the 350-400 lb range would be the cats meow, IMHO.
O yea, with fold out forward pegs.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:42:13 AM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 12:54:26 AM »
best 150cc scooter ever: Honda Sh150i, 153cc, 15.5 hp designed and built by Honda Italy. Best scooter I ever owned, second best GT300i. Also best selling scooter in Europe and Asia. My 2 cents...

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 11:39:43 AM »
For me it's more about the roads that you ride.   For example, I have to work in the city but I live in the country.  I can take a variety of roads in and out of work but the speeds on these roads is 45 to 55 MPH (72 to 89 KPH).  For me, anything below a 125cc bike isn't going to work, and remember that your speedo might be 10% off as well. 

Even that is questionable...after all, where I live at least, the speed limit is more of a suggestion. 

A biker is invisible to begin with.  If we are not able to at least keep up with the traffic around us then we are putting ourselves into even more danger.  You have to be comfortable with your ride, but I would suggest at least 125cc.  250cc is better.  I ride a Xciting 500 which suites all the roads I have around me - including highways.

Motorcycle safety riding classes are a given, as is ATTGATT. 
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()