Author Topic: Slip-On Exhaust Recommendation  (Read 2050 times)

Super Scooter Guy

• View Profile
Slip-On Exhaust Recommendation
« on: April 27, 2015, 09:59:12 PM »
Anyone have any recommendations for a stronger grunt sounding exhaust for the 500? I want my bike to be heard.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Slip-On Exhaust Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 10:15:37 PM »
Do you have access to a welder or welder friend? I bought a GSXr Yoshimura RS-3 muffler and made my own exhaust. Best sounding 250cc I've ever heard!!!!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:17:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9ov33aXYRo
This is what the RS3 sounds like, deep rumble. Would sound even better on the 500.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

bongoman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 10:14:56 PM »
I just installed a Zard slip on. I like both the extra performance and the sound. The Zard has an easy-to-remove db killer, or baffle. It fits in the rear so the muffler does not have to be removed to change out the street-legal for the racing one. The racing one sounds like a big bad thumper. A little too loud for my overall comfort level. And I wasn't sure about the back pressure thing, so I mostly run it with the street legal.

It was expensive, however, I got it direct from Zard lab in Itally and the euro was down against the dollar.  I like the Zard.
2009 Xciting 500
2015 Lance Cali Classic 150
Adventure is a two-wheeled journey

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 11:21:20 AM »
I installed the MIVV exhaust and I would not recommend it. It sound much deeper of course but the loud popping of the exhaust is very annoying, especially when in dense traffic. Tuning the carb will not help.

CiderBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 09:07:17 AM »
Guile -- Regarding your popping on exhaust overun. Have you checked that the gasket is tight on the exhaust manifold and that the joint on the muffler (can) is also airtight?

Even a small amount of air leeakage will cause this popping.

Regards, CiderBoy.

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 09:38:25 AM »
Guile -- Regarding your popping on exhaust overun. Have you checked that the gasket is tight on the exhaust manifold and that the joint on the muffler (can) is also airtight?

Even a small amount of air leeakage will cause this popping.

Regards, CiderBoy.

Will check this out, thanks
I know there's leakage at the end of the muffler and the former owner of the exhaust drilled holes in the silencer.

CiderBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 08:58:40 AM »
Guile -- It will be the holes drilled in the silencer then, cover these and it should sort the popping if all other joints are leak free.

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 06:47:11 AM »
Guile -- It will be the holes drilled in the silencer then, cover these and it should sort the popping if all other joints are leak free.

Thanks!

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 09:55:24 AM »
Any ideas on how to covert he holes? The silencee fits very tightly in the muffler...

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 06:16:11 PM »
I had the holes closed by a welder. Unfortunately still crazy popping

guile

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »
I put the original muffler on. I rode about a year with the MIVV muffler, but nothing but trouble. The small increase in HP isn't worth the trouble.
I think the X is already optimally tuned. I would only recommend a different variator (Malossi, about 20.000 miles now)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()