Author Topic: New Guy has a Question  (Read 9613 times)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: New Guy has a Question
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 01:47:20 AM »
The zuma 125 is great. Solid 55 top speed. Check out zumaforums.net great people on there, and the 125 is popular. Lots of performance stuff if you need more power or top speed. It's a huge plus to have that dealer close. Personally i think Yamaha > Honda, might just run in my family lol.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 08:37:11 AM »
sounds like he need an dual purpose bike
ALL STOCK

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 02:44:58 PM »
One thing you need to do, whatever you buy, is to make sure you fit on it.  If possible, test ride it.  I'm 6-2.  The seating position of the PCX sucks for me.  My knees hit the handlebars on the Zuma when turned but they may be adjustable.  I fit pretty well on my 09 Super 8 and my Aprilia Sport City 250.  I occasionally ride both of them off road. 

Another scooter you may want to consider if you can find one is the Sym HD200.  The larger 16" wheels might do better in the dirt.  The motor, although only 171cc is a real powerhouse capable of running 70+

Keep in mind that scooters tend to have limited suspension travel.  While they can be ridden off the pavement, you'll have to go much slower than you would on a dual sport motorcycle.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:52:40 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Featherdfishead

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 08:10:47 PM »
Thanks guys

I'm going to test ride the Zuma on Friday before i buy it. I was set on a Sym HD 200 when i first started searching but couldnt find a used one anywhere and couldnt afford a new one because id have to ship it 200 + mls to get it. I really like the Sym HD though and the 16" tires are a big reason why.
As for off roading i'll be puttn along enjoyn the scenery - i've never been a speed freak.
I have had a couple questions up on the zuma forum for three days but no one has responded - kinda disapointed in that but you guys have been great - thanks
AjR

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 10:52:46 PM »
Thanks guys

I'm going to test ride the Zuma on Friday before i buy it. I was set on a Sym HD 200 when i first started searching but couldnt find a used one anywhere and couldnt afford a new one because id have to ship it 200 + mls to get it. I really like the Sym HD though and the 16" tires are a big reason why.
As for off roading i'll be puttn along enjoyn the scenery - i've never been a speed freak.
I have had a couple questions up on the zuma forum for three days but no one has responded - kinda disapointed in that but you guys have been great - thanks
AjR

They are a little slower to respond over there, and generally less helpful than anyone on this Forum. The Kymco Forum is the most friendly forum I've been a part of, ever, so you won't match the guys and gals here LOL. Even tho its a Zuma, you can feel free to post up your questions here, some might grunt a little but if its scooter talk we'll help you out.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 12:57:23 AM »
WHO'S SYM HD
ALL STOCK

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 05:00:36 AM »
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 08:20:42 AM »
ok, nice site.....almost look like the kymco....too far away...108 MILES AWAY...WHAT THE...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:26:32 AM by 0BARK4322 »
ALL STOCK

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 04:10:40 PM »
Thanks guys

AjR
Don't ship the SYM....pack a sandwich and ride it home with a big smile on your face!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Featherdfishead

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 12:59:44 AM »
Thanks Again for all the Comments. The folks at the Zuma forum are likly alright but i still have no response to my basic questions so will ask here.

I checked out the 2013 Zuma with 480 mls and loved it. I made a deal on it and am picking it up Wednesday. Its spotless - they guy used it on the weekends to hit the mall and get a few groceries and is now retiring to Europe and needs to sell it. I'm going to put the dual headlight mod on and some oval mirrors first thing. I also want to change all the fluids and check out everything i should at the 500 ml mark. I don't have a manual on for it yet but will get one.

My questions are;
Will leaving in the stock lights and not dropping to 35w bulbs cause battery issues? I find answers going both ways on multiple forums.
Secondly should i switch to synthetics at this 500 ml change or do i need to put more miles on? What type of Synth Oil do you guys recommend? And what all would you recommend that i be sure to check out and/or do or not do at this time with the scoot? At what mileage is the engine considered broken in?

Also what type of inexpensive rain gear would you recommend?

Thanks for helpn a rookie out,
AjR

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 01:25:31 AM »
Thanks Again for all the Comments. The folks at the Zuma forum are likly alright but i still have no response to my basic questions so will ask here.

I checked out the 2013 Zuma with 480 mls and loved it. I made a deal on it and am picking it up Wednesday. Its spotless - they guy used it on the weekends to hit the mall and get a few groceries and is now retiring to Europe and needs to sell it. I'm going to put the dual headlight mod on and some oval mirrors first thing. I also want to change all the fluids and check out everything i should at the 500 ml mark. I don't have a manual on for it yet but will get one.

My questions are;
Will leaving in the stock lights and not dropping to 35w bulbs cause battery issues? I find answers going both ways on multiple forums.
Secondly should i switch to synthetics at this 500 ml change or do i need to put more miles on? What type of Synth Oil do you guys recommend? And what all would you recommend that i be sure to check out and/or do or not do at this time with the scoot? At what mileage is the engine considered broken in?

Also what type of inexpensive rain gear would you recommend?

Thanks for helpn a rookie out,
AjR

Lights - don't know

oil - after 1000 miles - Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic less than $20. gal at Walmart

rain suit - cheap, light weight Frogg Toggs - won't make you sweat - had a pair 5 years - like

ps: Two of the best motorcycles I have ever owned were Yamaha s.
And I love the Zuma. Thinking of buying one for mountain roads and trails.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:29:36 AM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Featherdfishead

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 03:03:16 AM »
Thanks boo. I'm super stoked on getting the Zuma. I'll be putting some big saddle bags on it to carry my mining gear. Its already got a shad case so with saddle bags i'll be set.

I do like that HD Sig and the ride it home idea would be great but i have a local Yamaha shop some what close by and think the Zuma should be fun. I  really liked the Honda you recommended but it was out of my league for now. May be in the future.

You guys have a great forum. I'm new to forums this last year and this is only the third, aside from the Q on ZumaF, that i have participated in. You guys run a Great Forum - Thanks Again.
I'm an avid miner and metaldetectorist. If your into Gold and metal detecting then check out DetectorProspector.com its the best for Gold Detecting and TresureNet.com for all types of treasure hunting and gold detecting.  I have been on these forums for the last year and they are the most helpful and informative with many professionals and amateurs alike. They are the cutting edge in the field as of this time as you guys appear to be in the cycle world.

Have a good ride
AjR

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 05:17:59 AM »
The headlight mod is a must for the zuma! I did it to my zuma 50 with no issues.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 09:25:12 PM »
I second the recommendation on Rotella T6 and Frog Toggs
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Featherdfishead

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2015, 12:50:06 AM »
Thanks Gentlemen.
Looks like i'll be switchn to Rotella T6 at 1000 mls and buying some Frogg Toggs soon to.

Should i switch out the standard spark plug? and should I run high octane gas or regular?
Does anyone know if these mirrors will work on a 2013 Zuma 125?
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-universal-scooter-mirrors-reverse/dp/B00KWVM6LS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430268422&sr=8-1&keywords=Yamaha+c3+Mirrors

Thanks Again
AjR

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()