Author Topic: Are heavier sliders equivalent to lighter rollers?  (Read 1912 times)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Are heavier sliders equivalent to lighter rollers?
« on: April 06, 2015, 03:48:51 AM »
I'm planning on switching to sliders, but I like the balance of the stock People 250. I've seen some people say that to get the equivalent performance when switching from rollers to sliders, that you should increase the weight by about 10%.

Can anybody corroborate this?

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Are heavier sliders equivalent to lighter rollers?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 04:11:00 PM »
on my downtown I went with 14 gram sliders  reg. Wt. is 15.5,  and sliders last for ever,.   

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 05:01:16 PM »
on my downtown I went with 14 gram sliders  reg. Wt. is 15.5,  and sliders last for ever,.   

It depends on what your looking for. If you want closest to stock RPM then yes, about 1.0g over stock = stock like rpms. If you want performance to slightly increase but retain good overall cruising rpm then go to a slider = to stock weight. I think the P250 has about 20g weight stock, 21g slider should be perfect.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 06:23:27 PM »
For some reason I was thinking the stock weight was 21, but I'm not sure why I thought that. There's a few different numbers floating around the forum, but somebody with a grandvista 250 (with the same part number) weighed theirs to be 20g.

I'm guessing that 1 gram more or less is still going to keep it somewhere  between performance and efficiency anyways.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 03:39:00 AM »
Seems to me 1gm difference could be quite noticeable in performance if all other associated contact parts are in tip top condition.
redk

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 02:19:55 PM »
I have a scale now, the stock weights are definitely 20 grams.

My initial impression after changing to the 21 gram sliders is that the initial take off is a touch slower, but the engine sounds like it's working less hard at top speeds.

I think that if the engine is working less hard at the highest speed, the lighter sliders should have the same effect though. My understanding is that at the highest speed, the gear ratio will be at it's highest either way (assuming they're heavy enough to get there), the heavier ones will just get there sooner. So it wouldn't make sense to notice that the engine sounds quieter at top speed. Except that supposedly the shape allows both higher and lower ratios, which is why I wanted them.

I wish the bike had a tachometer so that I could see what's going on.

Perhaps some day I'll try using or mixing 19 gram sliders.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()