Author Topic: Help: Fuel leak when weather gets warm  (Read 2598 times)

frogseatflies

• View Profile
Help: Fuel leak when weather gets warm
« on: April 03, 2015, 02:36:21 PM »
When the weather is cool, I have no fuel leak.  When it gets hot, fuel starts leaking at the underside of the gas tank where it junctions with the Auto Fuel Cock Assembly.   I checked the hose clamp around the Auto Fuel Cock Assembly with a screwdriver and it seemed tight.    I tightened it more and it seemed to not affect things.     I took the tank off and took a good look and the O-ring inside looks in perfect shape.    So I'm not really sure what's going on.   

Of course, one thought is that maybe the hose clamp isn't really as tight tight tight as it should be.

I find it interesting that it only leaks when it gets hotter.   So the vapors (or whatever you call it) build up enough pressure that it forces a leak.     That makes me think there's not something here to regulate the gas vapor pressure?... or if there is something for the vapor pressure regulation, that it is clogged or not doing its job properly.

Any ideas?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Help: Fuel leak when weather gets warm
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »
On a hot day, when you open the gas cap.....do you hear air pressure escaping?
If so, might indeed be a clogged tank vent.....the tiny metal pipe itself or.rubber hose attached to it.
If no pressure building up in tank , sounds like a hose or seam leak. Not over filled is it?
Keep us posted please.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

frogseatflies

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 05:38:21 PM »
Stig, thanks for your response.

It was cooler this morning and I put in just a little bit of gas until I filled up the tank about half-way.  It got hotter later on.  So just now, I went outside to my scooter and I smell gas.  So I tested your theory.  I unscrewed the gas cap and definitely heard air pressure escaping... almost like the tank was saying "ooh god, thank you for releasing this pressure."    So, thank you for your idea.    It must be a clogged vent.    I know the tiny little pipe coming up didn't seem to be clogged.  So I wonder if it's one of the hoses downline.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 08:12:45 PM »
Stig, thanks for your response.

It was cooler this morning and I put in just a little bit of gas until I filled up the tank about half-way.  It got hotter later on.  So just now, I went outside to my scooter and I smell gas.  So I tested your theory.  I unscrewed the gas cap and definitely heard air pressure escaping... almost like the tank was saying "ooh god, thank you for releasing this pressure."    So, thank you for your idea.    It must be a clogged vent.    I know the tiny little pipe coming up didn't seem to be clogged.  So I wonder if it's one of the hoses downline.

The factory system allows NO vapor to vent into atmosphere, because EPA laws. Take a small drill bit, very small like .5mm and drill into the plastic gas cap. Whala no more vent problems.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 11:21:49 AM »
Yep, that did sound like a pressure build-up
ALL STOCK

frogseatflies

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 03:44:35 PM »
PROBLEM/SOLUTION:   I Replaced the the fuel petcock assembly... and there we go!   Solved.   (The original was leaking.)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 06:38:57 PM »
It will stick eventually. Then vent the gas cap.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 11:46:41 PM »
What's deal with these Kymco diaphram fuel valves?  Are they junk or what?  Mine would not close completely when the engine was shut off, so I threw on a cheap Chinese eBay valve I got from my brother.  So far, so good.  Is there a quality replacement available?  Of course, there could be a piece of debris stuck in there preventing the valve from closing, but these things are not made for disassembly/inspection.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 03:08:10 PM »
Sticking OPEN is no problem unles you are under a tipped over bike. Stuck SHUT causes engine problems.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 01:24:55 AM »
Sticking OPEN is no problem unles you are under a tipped over bike. Stuck SHUT causes engine problems.

Karl

Or...The float valve is not sealing properly.  I'll need to address this since I did not bench test it before re-installing the carb.  Shame on me.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()