Author Topic: Yegar 200i Coolant change...HELP!  (Read 2554 times)

bikz

• View Profile
Yegar 200i Coolant change...HELP!
« on: March 28, 2015, 03:46:12 AM »
Hi guys I just hit 2K and 2 years old so I wanted to perform a coolant change.

SINCE I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS I am guessing at these steps so please HELP!...vids are great too! =)

Steps:
1. Drain coolant by unbolting the waterpump and take off radiator cap to help drain
2. Pull bleeder hose off
3. Bolt pump back on
4. Fill radiator up slowly (shake scooter & add), then put the cap back on (scoot is NOT RUNNING)
5. Fill up reservoir
6. start motor
7. wait until bleeder hose stops bubbling and gives a consistent flow and reconnect hose
8. Keep adding coolant to reservoir
9. Run to temp, shut down and recheck

If you have done this before please let me know I have never seen this performed with a "bleeder hose" (this is a guess) and not a screw in type
Also, if you know what needs to be disassembled and how to do that please mention it.

Thanks in advance!

bikz

• View Profile
Re: Yegar 200i Coolant change...HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 03:52:00 AM »
Also wanted to know if Honda motorcycle coolant (in the blue bottle) is a good choice for the kymco yegar.

Thanks!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 06:08:01 AM »
You don't sound like you haven't done it before lol. You got everything exactly right. The only thing I might add is Kymco was nice enough to add an actual drain screw on the water pump housing. Little 8mm bolt on the impeller cover. If you want to get every last drop, not necessary at all, you can drain then fill with distilled water to flush the system then repeat with coolant. That Honda stuff is exactly what you want to use, silicate free.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 04:55:23 AM »
I did a ton of research on coolant that would be compatible with all the materials in our scooters. I read every coolant bottle label I could find, figured out each ingredient and the effects those ingredients have on the materials in our scooters, and went pretty deep down the rabbit hole of coolant chemistry.

Come to find out, Valvoline Zerex Asian Vehicle anti-freeze is the best thing out there for our scooters.
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=3649.0

Also, as regards filling the radiator... you can fill it, leave the cap off, start the engine and fill as necessary to bring the level up. Snap the throttle open a few times to flush out the air bubbles. Don't worry, you won't cause any coolant to burp out. I've done it.

What I did was drain out the old coolant, fill with tap water, idle to mix it around, drain it, fill with tap water, idle to mix it around, drain it, fill with distilled water, idle to mix it around, drain it, fill with new coolant, idle to mix it around, drain it, then fill with new coolant again. I ran about a gallon of liquid through in doing so, but I guaranty there's no old coolant in there.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 05:00:31 AM by Yager200i »

DaveC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 05:41:46 PM »
The reason for distilled water? So there is no lime or calcium build up,  also chlorine.  What happens is the essential chemicals that prevent freezing (hint: anti freeze) dissipate after 5 years or 50K to 75K miles. You need only drain and inspect for residue. Use distilled water, fill, seal and then up to operating temp to help dissolve any gummy coolant in air pockets and such. Drain and fill with fresh anti freeze/ coolant. It is the water that is the coolant. BTW. You don't have to multi flush if you use the correct coolant. If it states safe for aluminum then use it as that is what the radiator is made of in most cases.
Dave C
   Roaming the blackland prairie on a daily basis

eakins

• Butler Motorcycle Maps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 05:54:35 AM »
Hi guys I just hit 2K and 2 years old so I wanted to perform a coolant change.

SINCE I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS I am guessing at these steps so please HELP!...vids are great too! =)

Steps:
1. Drain coolant by unbolting the waterpump and take off radiator cap to help drain
2. Pull bleeder hose off
3. Bolt pump back on
4. Fill radiator up slowly (shake scooter & add), then put the cap back on (scoot is NOT RUNNING)
5. Fill up reservoir
6. start motor
7. wait until bleeder hose stops bubbling and gives a consistent flow and reconnect hose
8. Keep adding coolant to reservoir
9. Run to temp, shut down and recheck

If you have done this before please let me know I have never seen this performed with a "bleeder hose" (this is a guess) and not a screw in type
Also, if you know what needs to be disassembled and how to do that please mention it.

Thanks in advance!
I'm about to do this for the 1st time on mine.

Remove the water pump? ...risk damaging the seal.

There is a drain bolt at the bottom of the water pump instead.

Shop manual says to
-remove front plastic
-remove radiator cap
-remove water pumper lower drain bolt and drain fluid.
i'm sure you need to move around the scoot and possibly walk it up a ramp so the fluid all drains. what about at the thermostat? that will hold fluid back when closed. remove hose on both sides of thermostat to be sure?
-remove fluid from reserve bottle.  disconnect lower hose? siphon out?
-replace drain bolt
-fill up with coolant in radiator and overflow bottle
-start engine, idle for a few minutes, snap engine 3-4 times to bleed system
-top reserve if needed.
-replace plastic

i will also do a flush with distilled water to remove all the green coolant in there.
I need to make sure I drain as much distilled out as possible or it will dilute down up my 50/50 mix.

any other thoughts???

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()