Author Topic: Sagging front suspension  (Read 11407 times)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Sagging front suspension
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 01:53:37 AM »
Yeah!!! It doesn't take much oil, like 80cc max. Good luck and post up if you need any help.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 04:06:34 AM »
scoots are different,   the downtown takes 185 cc.   looked up springs , for GT 300  $ 30.54   for the DT.   $ 12.23  and they have a rebound spring  $ 3.31,,   and it looks like the oil makes a lot of differents,  B&L  used # W 10 oil  and they have W 15 and W 20 , 

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 05:43:04 PM »
BettinANDlosing I may need some help, went ahead and took the fork leg off the non-caliper side to look at it, it's a different animal than I use to tear apart. I'm not even sure how you would take the spring out, there is no screw-on cap on the top like I'm use to seeing, just a rubber cap. I did pull the bottom allen screw out and the oil is now draining. If you are anyone can tell me how many cc's to go back with, also the torque of the axle and pinch bolts I would appreciate it. If I don't hear from anyone I'll stick some 10 wt. fork oil back in, I'll just measure how much came out and replace it with a hair more.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 06:25:10 PM »
BettinANDlosing I may need some help, went ahead and took the fork leg off the non-caliper side to look at it, it's a different animal than I use to tear apart. I'm not even sure how you would take the spring out, there is no screw-on cap on the top like I'm use to seeing, just a rubber cap. I did pull the bottom allen screw out and the oil is now draining. If you are anyone can tell me how many cc's to go back with, also the torque of the axle and pinch bolts I would appreciate it. If I don't hear from anyone I'll stick some 10 wt. fork oil back in, I'll just measure how much came out and replace it with a hair more.

You should be able to pry that rubber cap off and there will be a very large Allen head below it. Also it is totally fine to just refill from the bottom, just make sure to put some weight on the shock to "squeeze" out as much old oil as you can, then tip upside down to refill. You can't clean the valve this way, but unless your bike has a million miles then this will be sufficient. If you do take the large Allen off the top, beware there IS SPRING PRESSURE!!!!! So get ready to hold the top cap pretty tight or have a friend help. You can get 99% of the oil out the bottom tho, I just ended up taking mine all the way apart to clean and the top seal was blown so I had to take 100% apart. 
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 07:45:35 PM »
You should be able to pry that rubber cap off and there will be a very large Allen head below it. Also it is totally fine to just refill from the bottom, just make sure to put some weight on the shock to "squeeze" out as much old oil as you can, then tip upside down to refill. You can't clean the valve this way, but unless your bike has a million miles then this will be sufficient. If you do take the large Allen off the top, beware there IS SPRING PRESSURE!!!!! So get ready to hold the top cap pretty tight or have a friend help. You can get 99% of the oil out the bottom tho, I just ended up taking mine all the way apart to clean and the top seal was blown so I had to take 100% apart.
Just got back from getting some fork oil. Did you say you had a 250, because below my rubber cap it is smooth across, no large allen style cap to remove. I did press down on that smooth part and it did go down some, enough to see it had a ring type clip on the inner walls of the slider that has to be pulled to remove the cap, a harder set-up than just unscrewing a cap. Sheesh, I'll need more hands for this. Someone would have to push down on the smooth cap enough to compress the spring a little to see the clip and another person would have to try to pry the spring clip from the inner wall before the cap can be removed to remove the spring. I guess a press type set-up would work to push the spring down but I don't have one. Since I can't find a after market fork spring I want to get it back together for now and see if just fluid will help some. By the way with that bottom bolt removed you can take the slider out of the lower fork, now to get it back in and tightened without the rod spinning with every turn might be a pain without an impact wrench, which I have at another place 65 miles away. Just need to know how much oil per leg.

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 09:56:34 PM »
scoots are different,   the downtown takes 185 cc.   looked up springs , for GT 300  $ 30.54   for the DT.   $ 12.23  and they have a rebound spring  $ 3.31,,   and it looks like the oil makes a lot of differents,  B&L  used # W 10 oil  and they have W 15 and W 20 ,
de dee were those stock springs are aftermarket and where from? And was that apiece or a pair?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 10:37:29 PM »
"Compress the fork tube all the way. Fill the fork tube with the specified quantity of fork oil 177 cc. Use fork oil type SS#8 (10W)." -Cyclepedia

Sorry I figured It would be like most of them I've done and have an allen but I just looked at the manual and they say to compress that top cap and take out the snapring.

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 02:41:09 AM »
   I ordered the springs from      powersportswarehouse.com               and they are kymco supplyed    parts,  I ordered ring sealstoper @2.89 ea.     oil seal @23.18  stoper ring @1.47,   rebound spring @3.31    spring  @ 12.23    packing washer  @1.47,   some of the parts are the same for  GT 300 and the downtown.  B and lose are your prices close to these,.  shiping for me is $ 18.00  from S.C.,   to N. Y. 

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 05:24:03 AM »
"Compress the fork tube all the way. Fill the fork tube with the specified quantity of fork oil 177 cc. Use fork oil type SS#8 (10W)." -Cyclepedia

Sorry I figured It would be like most of them I've done and have an allen but I just looked at the manual and they say to compress that top cap and take out the snapring.
I finally rigged up a strange looking press with a hydraulic jack and the 2 x 4 holding up some shelving and managed to compress it down enough to remove the snap ring because I really wanted to fill the new oil from the top. I managed to squeeze about 160 cc of oil into a container. So I ended up losing 17 cc. That's what I really needed to know, how much goes back in. Thanks for looking it up for me. I was looking online last night and found a place that sells shop manuals for $19.95 but decided to hear from you before I bought one. Now I'm going to put it back together tomorrow then take the other fork leg off. Thanks

p.s. Might be a dumb question but what is Cyclepedia?

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 05:46:47 AM »
   I ordered the springs from      powersportswarehouse.com               and they are kymco supplyed    parts,  I ordered ring sealstoper @2.89 ea.     oil seal @23.18  stoper ring @1.47,   rebound spring @3.31    spring  @ 12.23    packing washer  @1.47,   some of the parts are the same for  GT 300 and the downtown.  B and lose are your prices close to these,.  shiping for me is $ 18.00  from S.C.,   to N. Y.
Good to know there is a place that has parts, I'll keep them in mind. My dealer is about 40 miles thru Houston traffic and I'm sure he doesn't keep much in stock.

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 06:37:09 AM »
dealers have not got the space to keep stock ,  or the money ,  they order from kymco and re ship ,  my local dealer keeps a few tires and 1 or 2 belts,  for the higher volume sales , mostly ATV,s,   

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 03:28:25 PM »

p.s. Might be a dumb question but what is Cyclepedia?

Cyclepedia is like Haynes, they take apart bikes and make the service manual. Kymco USA had them write all the new service manuals. Not as good as the factory manual but I don't think those exist in English for the new bikes. I have the factory kymco manual for my B&W and it's much better than Cyclepedia.

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 08:09:22 PM »
Cyclepedia is like Haynes, they take apart bikes and make the service manual. Kymco USA had them write all the new service manuals. Not as good as the factory manual but I don't think those exist in English for the new bikes. I have the factory kymco manual for my B&W and it's much better than Cyclepedia.
One last thing BettinANDlosing, does it give the torque for the 2 upper bolts that hold the fork leg and the 2 pinch bolts that hold the axle?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 10:00:06 PM »
One last thing BettinANDlosing, does it give the torque for the 2 upper bolts that hold the fork leg and the 2 pinch bolts that hold the axle?

29 ft. lbs for the 4x mounting bolts (12mm)
Pinch bolts 7.5ft lbs
Cheers man!

ST/SV

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 11:51:24 PM »
29 ft. lbs for the 4x mounting bolts (12mm)
Pinch bolts 7.5ft lbs
Cheers man!
You have been a great help, thanks

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()