Author Topic: Are you, too, a born again rider?  (Read 5065 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Are you, too, a born again rider?
« on: March 14, 2015, 05:52:53 PM »

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Are you, too, a born again rider?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 06:43:06 PM »
I guess I am not.  I got my first bike 35 years ago and never stopped riding.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 06:48:26 PM »
You betcha! Started in 1960 on motorcycles then laid off in the late '70s for various reasons the top was I then had a company car. The interest popped up again when we got a couple of 50 cc scoots, a Yamaha Vino and a Kymco Agility. This progressed to finally a People GTi300 for her and a DT300i for me. Born again is a good term since we both like to ride and are planning a major trip to Cumberland Gap in June or July this year.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 11:52:34 PM »
From age 6 till 21 I always had 2wheelfun to ride. Started on a 2.5hp briggs mini and ended at a new Honda CB 550. In between had a CT70, Suzuki T250, TC50, Yamaha 100. When I was 47 I got the itch again and bought a Kawi 650 klr, now it's scooters. Kymco movie 150 and it's a beast for a 150, lol.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 01:46:03 AM »
How about a "born later" rider. I never touched a two-wheeler until my first scooter three years ago at the age of 51. All those years of fun I missed out on......
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 12:46:57 PM »
How about a "born later" rider. I never touched a two-wheeler until my first scooter three years ago at the age of 51. All those years of fun I missed out on......
The good thing is it's never too late 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
ALL STOCK

ad_astra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 02:49:43 AM »
Yep. Had my old Yamaha Seca over 20 years ago. Never rode it much. Did some moped riding, motorized bike and then nothing. Finally recently got a scooter. It was my reward to myself for loosing hitting a weight loss goal and keeping it for a long period of time. I love it. Ride it work every day.
2014 Kymco Agility 125

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 07:00:53 PM »
I  am a born later rider also.  Have ridden  road  bicycles and mountain bikes for years.  Just started riding scoots 7 months ago.  Sure is easier when I  don't have to supply the engine.  It has been life changing,,  in a good way.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 04:24:01 AM »

Wow! I thought I was the only one! I too am 51. Before I bought my 2009 Kymco Xciting 250 around a month ago, the free mini bike I owned for about a month before the head gasket blew Was  the last motorized two wheeler I drove. I was the "old guy" in the basic rider class. I can truly say that I simply LOVE it. I can't wait until the weather warms up. I think I'll drive it everywhere I don't have to take passengers. NONE of my family saw this coming. Truthfully, I didn't either. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 07:23:47 PM »
I'm with the other 'born late' riders! Bought my first 2 wheeler last Fall at age 49...always wanted one....just never found the right time until recently. Eagerly awaiting the Spring thaw to start riding, again.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 07:18:50 PM »
Can't say I'm born again, or born later. since I've been riding for just over 5 1/2 years, starting when I was 43. I guess that's enough to say later in life, but I don't feel particularly old or later in life. Some of the best things happen after your 20's and 30's. My hobby sport is fencing and some of the best fencers are the older ones in their 50's, 60's and 70's. Best fencer I ever went against was in his late 60's. Fastest blade I've ever seen. Parried one of his attacks, and in the span I mentally celebrated he hit me twice.

Age is just a number. Ride. Ride, and ride!

- Wolf

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 03:37:38 PM »
Yes I am. I rode motocross bikes as a teen but my parents wouldn't let me have a road bike.

Took the motorcycle safety course a few years ago planning to get a KLR for on road and off road adventures.  Right after that I moved from SF bay area to Denver and thought I'd by a bike here.  Instead, I met a sweet lady and got married.

I bought her a scooter for her 50th bday and bought my Kymco People 50 last year. Wife is adamant that I don't buy the KLR, so I'm enjoying hot rodding the Peep. With it's larger tires, it at least feels something like a motorcycle and it sure is fun.
Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 07:02:22 PM »
Yes I am. I rode motocross bikes as a teen but my parents wouldn't let me have a road bike.

Took the motorcycle safety course a few years ago planning to get a KLR for on road and off road adventures.  Right after that I moved from SF bay area to Denver and thought I'd by a bike here.  Instead, I met a sweet lady and got married.

I bought her a scooter for her 50th bday and bought my Kymco People 50 last year. Wife is adamant that I don't buy the KLR, so I'm enjoying hot rodding the Peep. With it's larger tires, it at least feels something like a motorcycle and it sure is fun.

Good for you. That is a great little scooter. KYMCO should never have discontinued them here - probably still going strong overseas.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 07:46:44 PM »
Good for you. That is a great little scooter. KYMCO should never have discontinued them here - probably still going strong overseas.
Stig
It's an especially nice scooter for tall riders like me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

Kymsec99

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 01:34:44 AM »
 I am. At 17 I got on the road with a 1980 Suzuki TS100ER, great little bike. Had it for 2years and got tempted into swapping for a 1981 Kawasaki Z250 Scorpion A2. The A2 was a lovely beast, bags of power, with an illegal (so loud) Alpha 2into1 exhuast. I worked till 4am most days, then jumped on my bike for 2 or more hours. Pity I was a few hundered folks 4.15am alarm call, when I went by! The beast developed a couple of problems and being 19, little brain power then, I Just sold the thing for near scrap value...IDIOT!
 I progressed BACKWARDS onto a 1972 Motobacane (French) 49cc bicycle with what was thought to be an engine! It did an amazing 25mph, but only 300 miles later was struggling to hit 20mph and was getting harder to start.
My home from work was a 1 mile ride, the last 3rd up a slight gradient. The sparkplug lead/cap was dodgy. Instead of fixing, I used my left hand to hold it on to get home, frazzling my left arm and heart with the resulting electric shock! 10 or so times, I got fed up doing that, spotted a dirt cheap 1981 Honda C50. Great little thing, loads of MPG and 37mph! But I saw a 1979 Honda CD185 Benly going cheap too!
 I had 3 bikes now and needed to lose 1.
I rode the French thing past my work at the last bit of seafront of our town. Busy area and I just left it parked up, with the key in the ignition, I say ignition, but the only key operated a lock, that enabled or disabled the starting of the thing with its peddles! I went back down that end of town after 3 weeks, to make sure the Police had either removed it or it had been stolen. The period of 3 weeks was during the carnival and all vehicles parked along there were always removed by the Police....But ofcourse my crappy little French thing was still there, key intact!!! Ijust walked the thing to a local bike place, put it on its stand, said, 'there ya go' and walked away!
 Much enjoyment was had with my other 2 bikes, but the CD185 was never what I expected. Then the engine seized....gut instinct! Just by sheer luck my mate said there was another CD185, a year newer and even cheaper than seized 1. Snapped it up and man was that a real servant to me. 4 years of absolute trouble free riding/commuting! Only replaced the front tyre, 1 headlight bulb and rear brakes shoes and that was it!
I did hasten the death of that bike. I fitted a slightly different coded sparkplug, which suddenly gave me 15% more power! But it also was hitting 99mph with two thirds throttle (a bog standard 185 twin) that was only supposed to hit 75mph. I was hitting 73mph before and had now gained an extra 26mph!! The engine did make a funny buzzing sound above 80mph. Did 5 miles at 99mph and then thought it best not to again. I did another 300? miles and the piston rings shattered!
Pistons were ok...ish, so new rings, rode it again, but it seemed a little rough!
I quickly sold it to some lout. 4 weeks later, I get a visit from the Police for abandoning it in a carpark 50 miles away. My explanation of having sold it accepted. The RAT never changed ownership papers! They found the 'new owner'. Turns out he was commuting from our town to London every weekend! nearly 400 mile ride, there and back. Hmmm, guess the pistons blew then!
After 10 years biking, it was then I turned to cars as the work I was doing required it to be honest.
 But 23 years later, I'm back on 2 wheels. Apart from taking it easy for a bit, its almost like I never left 2 wheels.
Really enjoying it!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:52:59 AM by Kymsec99 »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()