Author Topic: "Slightly used" super 8 buying jitters  (Read 2411 times)

JesteRidin

• View Profile
"Slightly used" super 8 buying jitters
« on: February 27, 2015, 06:48:38 AM »
I just purchased a 2013 super 8 150 with really low miles, which means it must have been sitting for some time before I got it.  I haven't picked the new love of my life up from the dealer yet, so I am kinda nervous about what might need to be done.  The dealer made a point to tell me they could only ever change the oil and do basic stuff because it was a *cough*"high end"*cough* chinese scooter...  I am kinda disappointed because I bought a HONDA Met a few years back which I understand was made by (or was a honda copy of...) a KYMCO scooter.  So, they could easily fix anything with that product because it had a different sticker on the side... 
Anyway, I want the KYMCO to be a longer term ride, which means I have to take care of it properly.  So...
What, if any, are the quirks of a Super 8 that I might not know about right now?  (Broad question I know.)
Are there any special pre-season mechanical "things" I should do, or more likely have done, to the scooter before regular riding season.
It has only 400 miles on it, so it has not been properly broken in by the previous owner, is there any potential for damage having been riden so little in 2 years?
Finally, as a "sports" scooter, what is your opinion of the Super 8 compared to other scooters?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Jrmay

• View Profile
Re: "Slightly used" super 8 buying jitters
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 07:04:40 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it personally.  I have a 2013 Super 8 150 that I bought new and has less than 600 miles on it.  Reason being is I bought and keep it at my camper, and although I ride it a lot, most all of my trips are less than 2 miles.  I still change the oil yearly, and put Stabil in with almost every tank.  To look at it you would think it's brand new, so possibly the person traded it in on something a little bigger, or just decided they didn't ride it as often as they origionally thought.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 08:19:10 PM »
Have the dealer do the 1st service (Oil and final drive oil change, and valve adjustment). If they can't perform that, don't buy from them!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 12:23:22 AM »
If it has been sitting for any considerable time I'd have them clean the carb, make sure the battery can hold a charge, change the oil and gear oil. Make sure they do a full checkup on the scoot to make sure everything is working and all screws/bolts are tight. Ask about transferring the warranty. they have a 2yr warranty and that should be able to be transferred to you via KYMCO. After that it should be good to go. For break in the owners manual says less than half throttle (usually 30mph on the speedo) for the first 300 miles and less than 3/4 throttle (45mph on the speedo) up to 600 miles. My 2013 S8 150 maxes out at 62mph on the speedo so that should be good recommendations. Look up your nearest dealer on the kymcousa.com website cause it seems as though this dealer doesn't want anything to do with it. In that case, the price should reflect this. I have a series of videos I've put together that you may be interested in at:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2ye_x-qldG5W5Sa7dRURiU6EbkwgYOBe
Wayne

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 07:05:09 PM »
Did you take it for a test ride?  If it runs good then the big thing is to change the engine and final drive oil.  These are pretty tough scooters.  I have over 18,700 miles on mine and I ride it pretty close to wide open most of the time.  I change the oil every 1200 miles (Rotella T-6). I'm still on my second set of tires.  I changed the belt and rollers a couple of times.  I have developed some carb issues recently but this thing was mostly trouble free for the first 18,000 miles. 

It's a great scooter.  Have fun on it!
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

JesteRidin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 04:47:40 AM »
First ride of the season, and honestly, I LOVE this thing.  lol  Will post a quick question in another topic tho.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 11:56:49 PM »
I am getting a New Super 8 150cc 2013 myself in a couple weeks. It is being shipped from Ontario Canada to me in PEI.   Still to much snow here! Lets see, 6 feet high everywhere! :P
Kat :)

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 12:02:09 AM »
Here is my new Scoot that is on it's way. SO EXCITED.  ;D
Kat :)

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 02:19:20 AM »
I like the super8, looks cool. It might be the best 150 out there for the price.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()