Author Topic: Suggestions for getting my scoot running? - Dies when warm  (Read 3261 times)

personality

• View Profile
Suggestions for getting my scoot running? - Dies when warm
« on: January 31, 2015, 04:58:18 PM »
It runs pretty well while it is cold*** but then after a few minutes it will just run for a few seconds before bogging out.
Where should I start? Petcock? Is the petcock the same for the 50 & 125? Tank doesn't look look like there is rust inside.
I just bought it, and a few other hands have tried solving this problem, but nothing too in depth I think.

***edit
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:08:32 AM by personality »

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions for getting my scoot running? - Dies when warm
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »
Where should I start?
Make a worthwhile research effort, and Google a service manual.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 07:18:16 PM »
Put a volt meter across the auto choke when you first start the bike. It should read 12-13 volts.
If that passes then pull the choke (careful of the THIN "O" ring), Put the green wire to ground, and the yellow wire to 12v + on the battery. You want to see the pin move outward 4mm or more.

Try this, and let us know.   
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

personality

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 07:35:38 PM »
It's starts easily enough, but it dies when when warm, so the autochoke appears to be doing it's job, the engine just isn't getting enough fuel from the main jet i'd guess.

Do you know if this petcock will work on the 125? I'm going to start with fuel system, i.e. cleaning the tank, replacing the fuel lines and cleaning the carb. 

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:50:53 PM »
going to start with fuel system
Expedient troubleshooting strategy is to disconnect carb inlet fuel line, then apply suction to the petcock vacuum line with a squeezed infant aspirator to verify fuel flow.

Carb cleaning guidelines.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 09:47:36 PM »
It's starts easily enough, but it dies when when warm, so the autochoke appears to be doing it's job, the engine just isn't getting enough fuel from the main jet i'd guess.

Do you know if this petcock will work on the 125? I'm going to start with fuel system, i.e. cleaning the tank, replacing the fuel lines and cleaning the carb. 

Read my lips... No new Taxes...

The auto choke is open when the bike is cold. IF it is broken it will STAY open, and flood the bike out when it's warm.

Let it sit for 20 minutes, and it fires right up again huh...

Not promising I am right. I can't do my bike whisper over the net. BUT it's where I would begin.
If the petcock were bad it wouldn't start or it would die while riding at 1/2 throttle or so.

Yes the petcocks are not interchangeable. The 50cc is exactly not the same as this one...

http://www.partsforscooters.com/164-93_Bolt-on_FUel_Valve
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 09:49:40 PM »
Expedient troubleshooting strategy is to disconnect carb inlet fuel line, then apply suction to the petcock vacuum line with a squeezed infant aspirator to verify fuel flow.

Come on tourtise. You could have told him to suck it. Aspirator LOL!!!

personality

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 12:20:53 AM »

hey, thanks. I used that trick to determine the petcock was working fine and to empty the gas tank. There were no particles in the gas I drained or the carb, or jets when I cleaned those so i guess that rules out a fuel issue.
So, I put it all back together and of course now it will start but only run for a minute before dying. I disconnected the autochoke, but that made no difference.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 12:39:51 AM »
Again we are speaking in different tongues.
If you disconnect the choke it is exactly the same as a broken choke. The symptoms will be the same. The bike will stall in a minute or two.

Test the voltage with the engine running. A simple test light will do. They cost 5 bucks at harbor freight or 2 bucks on Ebay.
Next:
PULL out the choke, and hook it to the battery to verify it is working.

Or check to see if the chain is tight, and the freon is good in the tires.

Sorry to bust your balloons... LONG day.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:42:12 AM by zombie »

personality

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 01:12:07 AM »
So the choke would fail in the choke   on position gotchya, thanks.
I'll stop the harbor freight this week for the test light this week. Problem is, it is barely running at all now...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 02:53:54 AM »
Now we speak Chinglish together... It will start running less, and less. The excess fuel does not get burned, and the heat is enough to sort of varnish it onto the spark plug. A little more each time. Fouling...
 Get a new plug while your at it.
Like I said. I'm not 100% sure, just my best shot for now.

Please keep us up to date. It is always helpful for the next guy. A loy of people don't member up.They just pick our brains from the shadows. Damn Zombies... 8)

personality

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 03:12:21 AM »
Yeah, spark plugs are definitely on my to buy list. what is the recommendation? NGK CR7HS?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:29:36 AM by personality »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 04:03:25 AM »
I prefer 8's but it depends on the bike, and climate. 8s are one step colder, and work better for me in Fl.. 7's tend to Ping on acceleration.

I use 9's in my 2t bike.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()