Author Topic: When starting the scooter, it putt putts then dies... what does that mean?  (Read 2802 times)

spikebites

• View Profile
This has happened to me twice now.  When I start the bike, it ignites, then sputters a little then dies.  Then I have to start it again.

If I manage to add a little throttle to it before it dies, it will be fine.  It's not a huge problem, I'm just curious what the issue might be.  This happened on a full tank of gas, so it's not a gas issue.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
I would adjust the Idle Mix screw before anything else. See if that helps.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Possibly carb clean also, had the bike ever sat for more than a month?
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
Guys, wake up, he is asking about a Downtown300i with fuel injection!  ;)

Spikebites,
-- how many miles on your D/T? 
-- For how many miles did YOU have it? 
-- Is that something that just happened, or  got worse over time? 
-- What is the ambient temperature when this happens? 
-- Cold and warm start the same or different?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Guys, wake up, he is asking about a Downtown300i with fuel injection!  ;)

Spikebites,
-- how many miles on your D/T? 
-- For how many miles did YOU have it? 
-- Is that something that just happened, or  got worse over time? 
-- What is the ambient temperature when this happens? 
-- Cold and warm start the same or different?

Just saw that lol. It could need the tps reset
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
  do you fill with gas and park ,on a hot day it will have gas over flow and will cause hard starting,. I allways fill my scooter before going on a ride,  parked empty,.    2011 300i DT.  60,000 km. runs better every year, 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
I hate Kymco's >:(
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

souzamoto

• View Profile
This has happened to me twice now.  When I start the bike, it ignites, then sputters a little then dies.  Then I have to start it again.

If I manage to add a little throttle to it before it dies, it will be fine.  It's not a huge problem, I'm just curious what the issue might be.  This happened on a full tank of gas, so it's not a gas issue.

Sounds like you overfilled the tank flooding the evap can. Now it pulling extra fuel, rich at start up and basically wants to act flooded...maybe.
CS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
I would go for the TPS reset also called "Initialize". I'm not gonna say a word about idle mix adjust or carb clean....not a word.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
No need!

spikebites

• View Profile
I'm not sure if any of these suggestions worked, but my problem seem to have corrected itself.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()