Author Topic: people maintenance  (Read 760 times)

krider

• View Profile
people maintenance
« on: January 28, 2015, 09:11:14 PM »
Any problems with Kymco People 50 two-stroke mopeds?  When do they start having problems or needing a lot of maintenace?  Also, what kind of fuel economy do they typically get?

krider

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: people maintenance
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 10:14:23 PM »
If your looking to buy one... DO A COMPRESSION TEST first!
It could have 1/2 a mile on it, and be shot. Or it could have 8k miles, and be good as new.

Only a compression test will tell you the true condition of a two stroke engine.

Other than that it's a great little bike. For 3-400.00 USD you can hop them up to rum 60mph, and tool around at 50-55 all day.

Maintenance is relative. If nothing was done to keep the bike up, expect to spend 200.00 ish on belt rollers,filters,tires, and a spark plug.
If the bike was kept up, and stored inside... jump on, and ride. They are very cheap to maintain, and parts are easy to get.
Youy could do much worse that a Kymco 2T
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Re: people maintenance
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 04:25:54 PM »
I have People 50 and really like it.  Gas mileage not that great, especially if hop it up and install larger main jets in the carb.  But still very cheap to ride, seems like I can ride couple hours on 1 gal of gas.  A 4 cycle will get substantially better gas mileage, but you will need a 125 to 150cc 4 cycle to be as fast as 50cc 2 cycle.

Lots of aftermarket options to hop up 50cc 2 cycle, so fun to tweak and make faster.  4 cycles don't have many mods to my knowledge, probably expensive to modify for more speed.

I ride with my son-n-law who has Super 8 150 and I ride 50cc (I have Super 9 LC 50cc and People 50cc).  He's a little faster, but not much.  I am planning on making a few tweaks to my 50 to pickup a little speed to be even with 150.  We will see how it goes, but should be fun.

My take is for more $'s you can get a People 150 and do nothing to it.  Or, for less $ get a People 50 and use your extra $'s for aftermarket parts to make it fast.  At the end of the day, you will probably have less $'s in 50 and it may be faster than 150.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()