Author Topic: 08 MXU 150 dies when put in drive or reverse  (Read 5237 times)

Jetmech7065

• View Profile
08 MXU 150 dies when put in drive or reverse
« on: January 18, 2015, 12:54:50 AM »
Hi new to the forum here. I have a 2008 MXU 150 that just stoped working over night. When I start it and go to put it in fwd or rev gear it dies right away. As if you arn't pulling in the clutch lever on the right handlebar even tho it's an automatic. Any sugestions would be appreciated.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: 08 MXU 150 dies when put in drive or reverse
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 02:06:02 AM »
Try draining the float bowl. I have had several engines with just enough water to allow the raised idle jet to run but the moment you apply any throttle the lower main jet sucks water, and kills the engine.

Welcome to the forum. ;D
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Jetmech7065

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:51:55 PM »
@ Zombie  thanks for the fast reply😀 I tried that still a no go. I can rev the motor as normal but as soon as I put the gear selector in Fwd or Rev it dies as if the kill switch was pushed.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 01:57:35 AM »
Sorry for the delay. I hope you are still around.

Can you turn the axles by hand? Try opening the CVT cover, and see if everything is in order inside. Maybe the clutch has blown up, and the bike has no free slip?

I would also do a compression test. If the compression is low so will the power be... (that sounds wrong...)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Jetmech7065

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 10:12:16 PM »
zombie I pulled off the CVT cover and all looks gook other than I have a chipped tooth on the kickstart spline. The clutch free spins and and when I move the selector into gear (motor not running) and move the clutch it turns the wheels. I'm thinking I have an electrical grimlen as I just put a new battery and I get nothing when I hit the start switch and my gage cluster lights up but I can't find any blown fuses or ground out wires any thoughts ?

twistedgrip

• DEALER- Ride Hard, Ride Proud, Ride Free
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 01:22:56 AM »
Is this a new problem?  Did you just get the ATV?  Some models have a switch in the shifter that requires the rear handbrake to be applied before they can be shifted into gear from neutral. 
Twistedgrip

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 02:30:19 AM »
It could be the brake switch or the relay to the starter or the wiring in between them.
Could be anywhere in the wiring.
I'd start at the battery, then the key switch, then the start button... Keep following the voltage.

This is a different issue than your original post tho. Once you get the bike running again do a compression test. Often times a simple leaking valve will prevent it from making enough power to run under any sort of load.

Keep at it, and please keep us updated. :)

Jetmech7065

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 03:40:23 AM »
I can get it running with using the kick starter. As the battery was to low and would no longer hold a charge. That's why I replaced the battery. But when it is running like I said it dies as soon as it's put in gear. And this one does have to have the brake lever pulled. When it's not running but the key is in the on position and I move the shift lever from Nuteral to fwd or Rev I can hear the solenoid make a click noise when I move the shifter

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 07:44:16 AM »
Then the solenoid is bad or the wire from the solenoid to the starter is bad or the ground from the engine to the frame/battery is bad.
That's the starting issue.

The other has to be compression/fuel related/air filter, UNLESS it is also a bad engine ground, and movement is breaking the temp. ground thru the engine mount.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()