Author Topic: Movie performance upgrades  (Read 7626 times)

aksteve

• View Profile
Movie performance upgrades
« on: January 08, 2015, 07:16:35 PM »
I recently acquired a Movie 150. I like the pep of the motor but I feel like it is so restricted because of the stock airbox and exhaust. Because there are so few Kymco Movies out there, I am having a hard time finding any information on upgraded parts for this scooter.  I see a lot of parts for the Kymco super 8 150, but I am not sure they will work, is the Movie a a GY6 motor? I would like to add a Two Brothers pipe, or something similar. I know the airbox will need to be opened up and the carb will need to be rejetted. Another thing that should be addressed is upgrading the CVT. If there is anyone out there that has worked on this scooter or any suggestions, that would be appreciated.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Movie performance upgrades
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 07:42:12 PM »
Good buy!!! I haven't been in one enough to see for sure, but I think the motor is a variant of the GY6 platform. But it has differences, mostly in the cylinder and Head. It's 4 valve first off. Takes a different plug than GY6. If you order the Two Bros exhaust that's meant for the Super 8 It *SHOULD* fit, possibly with slight modifications. Your best upgrade would be in the variator, weights, and torque spring. They come with heavy weights for lower RPMs and lower fuel consumption. Pull your weights out and check if they are 18mmx14mm, if they are order a set of 11-12g Dr. Pulley sliders, maybe even 10g. The 4 valve engine likes to rev higher than a 2v engine, so you'll have to experiment to see what weight the Movie likes. That engine has potential, I would say 70mph on the stock bore isn't out of the question. I would say there's a good chance the Dr. Pulley variator for the GY6 would fit your bike. Just find somewhere that accepts returns and order it and try it out. You shouldn't have to drill out the airbox, try everything else first then use that as a last resort, you can't go back really once you drill. I've had three Two Bros pipes on GY6 scooters, they kick ass and sound AWESOME with a thunder like rumble. Another basic upgrade, get an NGK Iridium CR8EIX spark plug, they are $10 but will last 2x as long as regular copper. A 30-32mm carb would also bump up the performance quite a bit on that scooter, but that's gettin in pretty deep. You should be able to see results with the stock carb. Also one thing I've done to a Movie we sold was strip off all the emissions junk, it helps the scoot to not breath it's own sh** (the emissions system recirculates exhaust gas back into the airbox to reduce emissions), and the system uses engine vacuum to run the valves. I would love to see a Movie with a bunch of mods, when we first got them in i really wanted to buy one, but I'm too cheap for new bikes LOL.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 08:13:25 PM »
Try looking up the part numbers for the variators, and the pipes between the two bikes. Perhaps the crank shaft as well.
If the pipes have different numbers than I would consider cutting off the OEM muffler, and add a better breathing slip on. My gut feeling is any difference will be in the mounting configuration on the bike, and not in the mounting flange at the head. (if there are different part numbers)

If they are the same then you can rock on, and get the good stuff.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 08:20:36 PM »
Yeah, that's whats cool about the TBR V.A.L.E. system, the header and where the header meets the can is all adjustable, not set in one spot. So you can swivel the header flange and can to get the proper fit.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 09:32:30 PM »
" TBR V.A.L.E. system"

What is this magic system you speak of?
Some form of trickery or witchcraft perchance?? ???
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 10:56:20 PM »
http://www.twobros.com/Exhaust/

Also the scooter pipes have a swivel flange on the header so you can adjust left/right angle!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 11:43:11 PM »
Alas, 'tis witchery... Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I've tried adjustable flange pipes in the past, and they all failed.

The retainers or the pipes all bent at the cylinder (from the heat), and after less than a year every one I have seen has leaked.

The last one I bought was for a Kawi 650 enduro, I wound up wire welding it together, and had no leaks after that.

Maybe they have gotten better since then... IDK

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 12:02:33 AM »
Alas, 'tis witchery... Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I've tried adjustable flange pipes in the past, and they all failed.

The retainers or the pipes all bent at the cylinder (from the heat), and after less than a year every one I have seen has leaked.

The last one I bought was for a Kawi 650 enduro, I wound up wire welding it together, and had no leaks after that.

Maybe they have gotten better since then... IDK

Yeah, the TBR ones work pretty good. I have overtightend them before and bent the aluminum flange. If you tighten it right, and use red loctite they work great.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 01:09:24 AM »
I had the same deal w/ my scorpion pipe on the corsa jug. They didn't mate square, and I broke the thread boss on the jug.
The fix was obviously heating the pipes flange to cherry red, and re-torquing it to the repaired boss.

I guess this is to be expected w/ aftermarket pipes.

One way to avoid issues w/ adjustable, and for that matter any pipe is to heat it, and either wire weld or bend it to the correct position, and use/make the thickest gasket you can.

One thing I ALWAYS do is mount the pipe to the cylinder w/ just a "hanger bolt on the bike. I slowly tighten the cylinder side (equally) and allow the pipe to find it's "home".
Instead of trying to bend the mounts or twist anything, I will add spacers/longer bolts OR heat the header until I can mount it comfortably.

The last pipe I mounted quickly (JiangWayne expansion pipe) broke in 4-5 places. Some at the mounts, and some near the header. One directly in the center of the cone (near the header).

Those really thick pipes like the Technigas Next/RS II will hold up but the torque on them is enormous unless you properly align them.

I don't know... I hate fitting pipes, and get sick when a 900.00 pipe fails. (more fore big bore MX'rs but still) :'(

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:11:09 AM by zombie »

aksteve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 01:22:13 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, I will have to do a little more research. It is a good idea to look up part numbers of things like the variator and compare them to the super 8 part numbers. What is the reason to leave the air box. Does it not restrict airflow?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 01:24:53 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, I will have to do a little more research. It is a good idea to look up part numbers of things like the variator and compare them to the super 8 part numbers. What is the reason to leave the air box. Does it not restrict airflow?

It isn't really that much of a restriction. I was just suggesting doing everything else first, then maybe play around with the airbox.

aksteve

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 01:35:04 AM »
BettenANDlosing, you said you striped out all the emissions crud. I would like to talk to you about that some time, because I would like to do the same. There are a lot of what appear to be vacum lines, to the air box, carb, cylinder head. Do you plug these holes or do some need to be left?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 01:47:26 AM »
Not to distract you from B&L...
 Keeping you're air box as a water baffle is a good idea. You can open it up by drilling holes in the lid but up-jetting is needed to do this.

I run open filters on both bikes BUT they drown out in a slight drizzle. so I went back to a baffled air box on my 4t, and can not ride my 2t evev in a heavy fog.

Therefore I believe it is a good idea to plan a way to allow water.water vapor to drain before it can reach the carb throat.

HEY B&L... Between us we can solve all the worlds problems. Lets kidnap 008, and set up shop in Vietnam!
BlusSin can be our US ambassador, Sarge is obvious... , Stig can be the propaganda guy, and Vivo is the translator.
We still need a CFO, and I guess that could be Slinger cause he's never here.

Dude... The Kymco army is taking form... All we need are plants. Literately growing plants. Even the cows will be happy! ;D ;D ;D

Just give it a day to sink in. I'll be here 8)

aksteve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 02:04:24 AM »
Zombie I get what you mean by keeping the air box, but my Movie is just a toy, I dont have to ride in the wet weather, unless I get caught in a florida summer squall. I thought the bottom of the air box might be a good place to open up, between the CVT cover and airbox. I could open a couple 1.25" holes. If it did not work out I could always repair the holes. Or Do you think it gets enough thru that snorkel even after a pipe and new jetting

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 03:42:41 AM »
No. Not at all. I did exactly what you propose.

I cut 2  one inch holes at the back of my 4t airbox, re-jetted accordingly, and the bike runs like a champ.

I do have to clean the filter more often (about once a month) but all is golden.

I also have an open 1 inch exhaust, (shorty muffler) and a 24mm carb.

I ride it daily just to prove my point to the world. You don't need to support
"Big Oil" to live.

I figured it out here... I went thru 100 gallons of gasoline last year. To me it's a statement more than a toy. No disrespect meant.
Same goes for distilling ethanol (single malt Barley Whiskey) or smoking Hippie Grass instead of ciigaretes,  and buying crappy ass Jack Daniels.

I'm on the "grid" but I put up one hell of a fight!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:53:43 AM by zombie »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()