Author Topic: How do French scoots ride?  (Read 723 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
How do French scoots ride?
« on: December 18, 2014, 12:09:52 AM »
It has been years since I rode in a few French cars. But even the lowly 2CV rode across the roads like it was on air (and wallowed all over heck in corners, but clinging like a crab to your face). French cars always rode so smoothly - like no other car I've ever been in. The French really, really take care of their derrieres!

My question is: Have the French discovered some magic so that their scooters  ride exceptionally smoothly - or do theirs offer the same lousy rides as those made on the rest of the planet?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
Re: How do French scoots ride?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 12:44:44 AM »
One assumes its a fine till a German scooter comes by and the French scooter rolls over (A WW2 joke!  I'll be here all week, please be sure to tip your waitress and try the fish!  Good night!).
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 12:57:09 AM »
The Citrone rides on hydraulic "hand grenades" as they are lovingly referred to. It's a system based on cylinders/pump that actively adjust the ride as long as the engine is running. I used to maintain Francis Coppola's Citrone in Mt. Kisco, NY. It was about the only car that could support his weight.
You may remember the cars squatting down when the engine is cut. His car barely got off the ground.

Another interesting fact... The 2cv was a 400cc engine making less than 10hp. They still did 60 mph., and around 60MPG'
Beside the tower they have there, the Citrone is about the best thing they ever made.

Unfortunately their scooters are no where near the same.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:20:09 AM »
The Citrone rides on hydraulic "hand grenades" as they are lovingly referred to. It's a system based on cylinders/pump that actively adjust the ride as long as the engine is running. I used to maintain Francis Coppola's Citrone in Mt. Kisco, NY. It was about the only car that could support his weight.
You may remember the cars squatting down when the engine is cut. His car barely got off the ground.

Another interesting fact... The 2cv was a 400cc engine making less than 10hp. They still did 60 mph., and around 60MPG'
Beside the tower they have there, the Citrone is about the best thing they ever made.

Unfortunately their scooters are no where near the same.
Yeah, my buddies parents had a big ol' Citroen DS Estate (wagon) looked like a cockroach from the front, had a single spoke steering wheel and rose up and down with the rpm's. Amazingly comfortable ride. My mom pulled in front of a baker in his 2CV with her Mercedes diesel. Totalled his car but he was OK - all the French bread loaves acted like airbags, we needed a new left fender before dad got back from TDY. True story.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 02:18:08 AM »
See there... They had one more thing figured out... Bread air bags. Once deployed they can be eaten vs hauled off to the land fill.

LOL>>> I had the same rule as your dad (apparently)
I didn't care what happened while I was away from the house. AS LONG AS everything was back in order by the time I got home.
I sort of live by one major rule. If you can't fix your own F' ups, you are basically a F' up without redemption.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()