Author Topic: Exhaust upgrade advice??  (Read 1819 times)

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
Exhaust upgrade advice??
« on: December 17, 2014, 01:57:22 PM »
Finally have made a decent woman outta my 2005 s9 LC. Rocking the speedo passed the numbers more often than not! Now I'm getting power hungry.  I'm waiting until spring or summer for the bbk. So until then I'd like to put a better exhaust.
Mind you,  I'm planning on driving this often,  not just racing.  And I'd prefer to not spend a fortune (every time I spend money on her she tries to quit running!)   
Technigas or Leo Vince?  A local mechanic and supposed Scooter drag racing bad @$$ says the technigas are crap and Leo Vince is next step without going super expensive.  But racing planet claims the next r too be better than the tt.  Any of you niners have any personal experience?
And also,  I'm not sure if it is possible,  but is there one that doesn't want the power band at 9k?  I'm not a fan of that...
Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Exhaust upgrade advice??
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 02:09:55 PM »
Finally have made a decent woman outta my 2005 s9 LC. Rocking the speedo passed the numbers more often than not! Now I'm getting power hungry.  I'm waiting until spring or summer for the bbk. So until then I'd like to put a better exhaust.
Mind you,  I'm planning on driving this often,  not just racing.  And I'd prefer to not spend a fortune (every time I spend money on her she tries to quit running!)   
Technigas or Leo Vince?  A local mechanic and supposed Scooter drag racing bad @$$ says the technigas are crap and Leo Vince is next step without going super expensive.  But racing planet claims the next r too be better than the tt.  Any of you niners have any personal experience?
And also,  I'm not sure if it is possible,  but is there one that doesn't want the power band at 9k?  I'm not a fan of that...

You should think about doing the bbk first with stock exhaust then see if that's enough power for you. Even the Leo Vince zx likes about 9500rpm for PEEK POWER. You can run them in lower rpm bit it won't be using the pipe very well. Not sure about the technigas, i had the "70" pipe a while ago on another zuma, didn't like the sound as much as the LV but it seemed to perform well. My current zuma is 50cc still and i much prefer the stock exhaust on it, i have a Leo Vince zx that it's kinda meh. More sound than performance gain. If you do 70cc with stock exhaust it'll have gobs of torque, and still hit high 50s maybe better. The bummer about tuned pipes is if you don't have your variator setup PERFECTLY and your rpms drop going uphill you power totally goes away. Another thing you want to think about, those cheaper tuned pipes are garbage for bbk's and you'll want a different more expensive exhaust when you go 70cc. If you HAVE to buy a cheap exhaust, the Leo Vince zxr is the best cheap 50cc pipe. Imho do the kit first and see if that were your whistle, stick with a sport kit and it'll pull that front wheel up.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 07:22:10 PM »
Agreed... Don't waste $$$ on a pipe yet.

Your choice of kit will determine which pipe. 9K rpm is nothing compared to what the engine can handle. I have a ZX 50 that makes power right thru 12.5K, and will spin up to 14k.

Decide which kit, install, break it in, and THEN decide which pipe. You will most likely end up spending 250.00 ish on the right pipe. Cheap is not good, and good is not cheap.

Contact Josh at...  http://www.thescootergarage.com/

He races an S 9, and might be able to help you w/ a second hand pipe. Tell him we sent you, and you will be golden.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
Exhaust upgrade advice??
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:16:55 PM »
Thanks for the responses!  Any suggestions on the kit?  Two rings would be necessary since I will be using it often.  I honestly just want to get a bit more out of it.  I'm almost satisfied.  I wish there was an oversized variator... I'd be all over that.
Maybe I should contact your friend Josh? His site says that he's located about three hours from me here in NC.
Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 03:59:22 PM »
I am thinking about a pipe for my 2005 People 50, looked around a lot yesterday, and concluded Tecnigas Next-R to be a good choice.  I think that is what I already have on my 2003 Super 9 LC and it works great.  I know the CVT was modified some, but not how.  The previous owner took it to the local scooter shop, doesn't know what they did, "it just takes off better", which it does.

CVT on my S9 seems to be sensitive to throttle imput.  It you give it WOT at start, the rpms will really ramp up and it will hit the pipe and launch.  I usually don't want to launch (don't want to wear out my stuff), so I baby it a little to get going, then give it the gas once the clutch is locked up.  Then it builds rpms and hits the pipe with the clutch locked up and pulls really nice.  Has a great sound too.  At 1st I thought it was too loud, but I am used to it now, and really like it.

My son-n-law got a 2011 Super 8 150 that I ride with.  I usually follow him, and have no trouble staying up with him.  If you follow someone, you usually have to go a little faster to keep up from time to time.  His take off is a little faster than mine, but I don't mine cause I can easily catch him.

If you anticipate hills, and gain a little speed as you approach it will climb right up the hill just fine.  If you let it get bogged down, you are dead until you can clear it.  The 150 powers up the hill on problem, but we both like the Super 9 compared to the Super 8 150.  At this point I wouldn't trade my Super 9 for Super 8 150.

Great fun!  Cheers

1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 04:05:51 PM »
Thanks for the responses!  Any suggestions on the kit?  Two rings would be necessary since I will be using it often.  I honestly just want to get a bit more out of it.  I'm almost satisfied.  I wish there was an oversized variator... I'd be all over that.
Maybe I should contact your friend Josh? His site says that he's located about three hours from me here in NC.

Anything that says "sport" will last forever. Almost all sport kits are two ring and if installed correctly will give you a significant gain in power and torque. Malossi stands out as one of the best sport kits. I was thinking the same thing about an overrange, seems they only make them for Italian engines. I got an overrange for my zuma and it was the best money spent on that thing!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 11:54:22 PM »
Without a doubt... Talk to Josh. Yhhey don't make many parts for the S-9, and I have never worked on one, so my advice is ask J.

He's done all the research already.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()